Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2013

Rug7236 is on a distinguished road
Survey?????? I've never had one

Hey there guys and gals,

I am new to sailing and new to the SailNet. I caught the bug hard and purchased a Hobie Holder 14 after my wife and I's second sailing lesson, and just love it. Im already looking at a 2004 Catalina 22 MKII. My question here is about the survey. I have purchased roughly 4 boats in my life and I have never
even heard of a survey. I'm ignorant so go easy on me as I have always been the 5 times a year boater (until I discovered sailing my little Holder) kind of guy. This 2004 Catalina will be purchased from a Broker. The boat looks great!!!! The outboard runs great. The boat is on a trailer and I have really crawled all around it and can't find anything wrong. $750 for a survey was the quote (northern California, SF Bay area). Any constructive input would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Survey?????? I've never had one-dsc_1427.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: Survey?????? I've never had one

I guess you do live in the high rent district. I paid less than that for my Catalina 34'.

Last edited by chuck53; 10-31-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Generally, a survey will tell you what is wrong with the boat and is usually required by insurance companies before you'll be able to get it insured. Think of it like a home inspection before buying a house, but for boats.

That said, my first boat was a 22 footer and I did not have a survey done. At the time, I also didn't know what a survey was, but in retrospect, having gone through it with my current boat, I'd not get one on another 22 footer should I buy another one. That first boat was covered under my homeowner's insurance and a survey wasn't required anyway. I did have someone I knew who was an experienced sailor crawl around on it and let me know if it would at least float and the condition of the sails. I wasn't that concerned about the rest as I wanted a boat to teach me about all the other things about owning a boat, not just the sailing part.

For what it's worth, I seriously doubt that I'd buy a boat that size from a broker, either, only because of the money that might be tacked on to the cost of the boat to cover the broker's fee.

$750 seems high for a boat that size. I paid a third of that for my 30 footer but I'm in a different location. Was the surveyor recommended by the broker? That would be a red flag for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 10-31-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-31-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

If you're going to finance or insure the boat you'll likely need a survey.. It's sometimes difficult to justify on a real simple boat, but you are getting into a somewhat more complicated boat than previous.

Ultimately you may not have a choice.. And I agree that $750 for a C22 is darn steep... I'd have thought half that .

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-31-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

$750 is out of line even here in California, here's a price list for a group of surveyors I've used in the bay area that's been in biz for 50 years.
OUR RATES | San Francisco Marine Surveyors
Old 10-31-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

I agree totally with what Donna said above.

Also, just so you know, there are 2 types of surveys. A pre-purchase survey and an insurance survey. A pre-purchase is much more involved and detailed, of course costing more. An insurance survey isn't as involved and costs, maybe a third less. For a boat like you are looking at, smaller, newer and spending probably most of its time on a trailer, an insurance survey is enough, especially if you have gone over it and are comfortable with its condition. The insurance survey will satisfy both your lender and insurance carrier.

I'd look around for other, more reasonable surveyors. Ask around for recommendations.
bljones likes this.
Old 10-31-2013

Rug7236 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Survey?????? I've never had one

Well for my first post on SailNet Ive got to say that you guys rock!!!! I really appreciate it. I'm doing my best to be objective, but im in the "I'm getting a new boat!!!!" mode. Wish me luck and thanks again. Im going to check out some of the survey companies you suggested and get more quotes on the survey. hopefully Ill be posting pics of my new C22 soon.
Old 10-31-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

A Catalina 22 is a pretty simple boat - no inboard engine, no real galley or head, very simple DC electrical system, etc. If you spend time looking around you should be able to determine if the boat is good or not. I did not have a survey done on the C22 I bought. I did get my Newport 28 surveyed because that had a whole lot more stuff on it.

good luck,
barry
Mt. Sinai, NY

Old 10-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

If I may ask, what are you paying for the boat? If it's under $5000 or so, you may not NEED a survey for insurance, depending on which insurance company you use. Now, you way WANT a survey to help you find unforeseen problems, but I'd call the insurance company to see if its necessary.

Ron may be right, you may need one for financing. I haven't tried that.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 10-31-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Even a $20,000 boat might not need a survey as far as the insurance company is concerned if you are only sailing coastal or inland. With our local homeowner's insurance agent, all they wanted was to take a picture of the boat. Most of the smaller, simpler boats just aren't surveyed, though having a boat-savvy, tough friend go with you to reality-check the boat is a fine idea. Specialty marine insurers do have some advantages and may cover some things that aren't covered by a policy issued by your homeowner's agent, but the local insurance guy is probably fine for most things.