Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2013

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Re: Heard of laser flare lights?

I purchased the Greatland laser flare as part of my personal equipment when I sail offshore on OPBs (other people's boats). When I go offshore on an OPB I bring my own PFD, lanyard, PLB, personal AIS beacon and the laser flare. It's not that I don't trust the people I sail with, it's just that I prefer to have my own gear and to know that it's working as it should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard helicopter responding to distress call hit by laser - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Coast Guard helicopter responding to distress call hit by laser

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED: 04:51 p.m. HST, Nov 26, 2013
LAST UPDATED: 07:01 a.m. HST, Nov 27, 2013

STAR-ADVERTISER ARCHIVE
The Coast Guard said one of its helicopters was hit by a green laser while flying in the vicinity of Waimanalo Bay Saturday.

It's the fifth lasing incident within the last year involving Coast Guard Air Station Barbers Point.

The lased MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew was conducting a search in response to a distress call when the incident occurred, the Coast Guard said.

Four crewmembers observed the laser sweeping the aircraft and one of the pilots was struck directly.

The Coast Guard is working with the Federal Aviation Administration and the Honolulu Police Department to investigate the incident.

Laser pointers can cause glare, afterimage, flash blindness or temporary loss of night vision.

The Coast Guard said it is a federal crime, as well as violation of most states' laws, to aim a laser pointer at an aircraft. If an individual is caught purposefully lasing an aircraft, punishment ranges from being arrested or having to pay a civil penalty of $11,000 for a single offense, to more than $30,000 if the individual has multiple offenses.

Here is follow up story with video:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...+Now+-+News%29

Last edited by casey1999; 11-27-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-27-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road

So, if you want to be rescued, don't shine your laser at the helo!!! This guy (from a posting on page 2 of this thread) seems to have shone his off at an angle, away from the rescue helicopter, turning his light into a sort of aero beacon, showing exactly where he was:
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...pp&hpt=us_bn10

Ths Coast Guardsmen involved with his rescue did not seem to mind him having and using a laser.

Last edited by paulk; 11-27-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2013
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Are these ones getting pointed at CG helos actual rescue laser flares, or just laser pointers? I'd be interested to find out if they were, and if not, is there a difference between ones designed for rescue use vs a standard one (other than shelf life, waterproofing etc).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-28-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road

I don't think Professor Schmidt's laser pointer has a battery that will last as long, or a beam large enough to really show up in the dark at distances of 20 miles. Haven't tried either, however.
Old 11-28-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

If you follow the link provided in post #17 by knuterikt it answers most of the questions people are posing here.

The signal lasers are different than the pointer lasers. They have a broader beam and are not harmful to pilots because the intensity of the beam is 1/1000th of the pointer variety, but still visible for 20 to 30 miles at night.
The Following User Says Thank You to ebs001 For This Useful Post:
paulk (11-28-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.