Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Solo Mast Stepping System

I wish I could find the owner's manual that came with my Rhodes 22. It says, "After attaching the lowers and the back stay, using both hands heave the mast up with all your force." I did it successfully when I was in my late 20's. I used a high pully hanging from a tree branch as time went on. Ha!

Down
Kielanders (11-02-2013)
Old 11-02-2013
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kielanders View Post
Looking at your engineering drawings; this is a Hunter designed system? Was the entire system sold by Hunter? Do the struts need to dynamically lengthen as they travel the raising arc? How heavy is your mast? Perhaps my 140 lbs isn't heavy for a 33' mast, but it was beefier than I expected when first lifting. Do you have any photos available of your install?

Thanks.
First, I should make a correction. The mast is about 30 feet and some change per the manuals. I always remember the mast height from the water is 40' and figure the boat from waterline to deck is 5' but I'm wrong. I've looked to find the weight of the mast without luck. It's a B&R rig which generally uses a lighter mast than what is conventional. I'm not sure by how much though.

Anyway, it's a good system and you could use a beefier gin pole or reinforce the one used on the 260. The gin pole only bears the load of holding the lines out far enough that you get leverage. Even the one made for the 260 will collapse if you balance the loads incorrectly, but it's easy to tell if you are.

The jib halyard and the mainsheet are what take the weight of hoisting. If they are not balanced correctly, the gin pole will bend. You just watch it as the lines start to take on the weight of the mast. If the pole is at 90 degrees from the mast when the mast starts to raise, you're good. I start mine with the gin pole leaning aft a bit to account for the stretch of the jib halyard. If you've got the jib halyard tension wrong, it's easy to adjust.

The system is what Hunter designed. The drawings I posted are from the manual. Those struts are permanently mounted but I'm sure you could make something you could take off when not in use. Honestly they don't get in the way. It's just two more pieces of deck hardware to scrub around.

More about the struts-
The struts do not lengthen. They are able to pivot. They're a big help since they act like another person holding the mast. They pivot forward (lifting the mast as they do) and allow the foot of the mast to go forward to the bow for mast storage. They pivot backwards for stepping the mast and hold it midline so one person can pin the mast. They have nothing to do with holding the mast when the mast is up. I have read an account of having a forestay failure and those struts held the mast to the middle of the boat as it came down. The owner said it helped to prevent injuries.

You can see how they mount to the deck here by those two upside down V-shaped brackets.

Here you can see how they are forward for mast storage.

This is the labeled drawing of the struts and hardware
descrip_47d.jpg

You can buy the whole system in pieces here:
260 Hunter 260 Rigging & Spars, Parts and Accessories

I would talk to one of the guys there who can help you identify all of the parts. I would but I'm afraid I'd forget something.

The mast foot pins with just a pin and uses that to pivot as the mast goes up. There's a picture of the mast foot and mast pin on the site for parts.

Also, a mast crutch (which is removable) at the stern holds the mast off the deck a ways at about the height of where a bimini would be as the mast crosses the stern rails. I'm not sure you'd get enough leverage without that bit of height but you might. It's grunt work, but tolerable, to get it a few feet off that mast crutch. I use a winch.

One of the things I really like about the system is I can stop at any point while raising the mast, tie off to a cleat, and check to make sure nothing is kinked since it holds the mast steady.

Here's a link to a post where someone uses an electric winch for the system
http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners....d.php?p=812934
Hope this helps.
Kielanders likes this.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet

Last edited by Sublime; 11-02-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Sublime For This Useful Post:
Kielanders (11-02-2013)
Old 11-02-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Ed and Ellen Zacko have the answer. I purchased their DVD, "Raise Your Mast ...Yourself" and am in the process of adapting it to our Islander 28.

An informative DVD about how to raise a deck stepped tabernacle mast

Down
We also have a Nor'Sea 27 and use the boom to raise & lower our mast. We towed it back to Az. in the US from Guaymas, Mexico and Ed & Ellen helped us. There DVD is a GREAT place to start. You don't need all kinds of extra stuff to do it! Nor'Sea owners have been doing this for quite some time.

You can see us lower our mast in Mexico in our Youtube video at;

at about 3 min 40 seconds into the video. NOTE, the video is in 3D, but you can just turn that off using the settings.

You can see raising a mast on another Nor'Sea 27 on our Youtube at;
At the Havasu Pocket Cruisers Convention on Lake Havasu. Raising starts about 7 min in. This video is NOT 3D

Greg
Captainmeme likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Delezynski For This Useful Post:
Kielanders (11-02-2013)
Old 11-05-2013

Smier is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the great info! We are planning on cruising a portion of the Rideau Canal and lake system in Ontario next summer on my Starwind 22, which currently uses the boom as a gin pole to raise and lower the mast. I'm really interested in a stable system that could be used on the water, because we would like to go thru a couple locks just for the experience of it with the kids. I like the idea of keeping the shrouds tensioned to keep the mast stable, and I'm definitely not concerned with modifying/adding hardware to this boat.
Kielanders likes this.
Old 11-05-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

F.Y.I.
To search sailnet forums for a specific phrase, google it like this:

"mast stepping" /site:http://www.sailnet.com/forums/

Without the double-quotes, the search finds *any* of the words (even parts of words, e.g. 'step' from 'stepping') in your phrase; with them, the search looks for the *exact phrase*. You can fine tune the results once you see how broad-meshed your original phrase is. Basically, the more words in your search-phrase, the fewer results you get.

I've always admired the old Norfolk Wherry* mast rig. Counterweight at base of mast, beefy tabernacle setup, one man on a manual winch. They aim at the channel under the bridge, drop the mast as they get to the bridge, raise the mast as soon as they clear it, all without losing any time or tide, or inconveniencing vehicular traffic, or paying bridge tolls. Clever folk, those English.

*See this thread, good discussion of mast stepping,post #17 for the wherry.
Kielanders and Smier like this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
The Following User Says Thank You to manatee For This Useful Post:
Kielanders (11-08-2013)
Old 11-05-2013

fred1diver is on a distinguished road

hey Smier, if you need help, I'm a stone's throw from the rideau locks
Smier likes this.
Old 11-05-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

A frame stays put, mainsheet tackle to raise the mast... it's so easy, that you stand, by the mast, pull with 1 hand, and steer with the other..... by the way works better if you put the mainsheet side AT the mast. Stupid simple, and fast. 4:1 works fine for my 31ft mast that weighs in a 70lbs.
Kielanders and Smier like this.
Kielanders (11-08-2013)
Old 11-06-2013
Solina 27

Sternik is on a distinguished road

I am 100% with those who prefer an A-frame system. Look at two videos below for ideas...the devil is always in the details - ideally you want your baby stays in the centre of rotation of the mast base. This way, the spar will always have lateral support. I have similar system on my boat and I love it.

TES 28 Magnam

Bingo 930
The Following User Says Thank You to Sternik For This Useful Post:
Kielanders (11-08-2013)
Old 11-06-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post

A frame stays put, mainsheet tackle to raise the mast... it's so easy, that you stand, by the mast, pull with 1 hand, and steer with the other..... by the way works better if you put the mainsheet side AT the mast. Stupid simple, and fast. 4:1 works fine for my 31ft mast that weighs in a 70lbs.
SHNOOL:

I like this system, especially since your boat and mine are nearly the same size, with my mast maybe a bit heavier. A couple questions: Do you have the bottom of the A-frame secured to the boat? I'd be concerned with it slipping out under load, but perhaps the cross member just pushes up against the cabin? Are you just attaching the tackle to the spinnaker bracket on the mast? Do you have any lateral support for the mast, or are you just relying on the fact that the A-frame won't swing side to side to keep the mast centered as it goes up/down?

Thanks!

Brandon
Kielanders (11-08-2013)
Old 11-06-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
We also have a Nor'Sea 27 and use the boom to raise & lower our mast. We towed it back to Az. in the US from Guaymas, Mexico and Ed & Ellen helped us. There DVD is a GREAT place to start. You don't need all kinds of extra stuff to do it! Nor'Sea owners have been doing this for quite some time.

You can see us lower our mast in Mexico in our Youtube video at;
Towing Guenevere, our Nor'Sea 27, Guaymas Mexico to Az. USA - YouTube

at about 3 min 40 seconds into the video. NOTE, the video is in 3D, but you can just turn that off using the settings.

You can see raising a mast on another Nor'Sea 27 on our Youtube at;
HPCC & Nor'Sea ramp launch - YouTube At the Havasu Pocket Cruisers Convention on Lake Havasu. Raising starts about 7 min in. This video is NOT 3D

Greg
Greg,

Yup! That is what I am up to for my I-28. It looks simple enough. I have the tabernacle scale mockup ready to take to the fabricator. The boat is stored adjacent to the fabricator's and they think it a great idea! Ha! They have offered to hand carry the mast across the lot and weld on the cheek plates on for me. They want to see it work. Me too! I am a little anxious about doing it the first time but what can go wrong if I measure everything correctly and follow Ed's instructions. If things go as planned the "first time" will be a stepping. We will lift the mast onto the boat and start with it down. I am designing a crutch to support the bow rail and the mast when it gets lowered (and raised). I don't have the bow pulpit "extension the Nor'd Sea 27 does so the weight distribution I need to plan for is a concern. I am working on a roller that will make bringing the mast aft easier. Perhaps a roller that captures the base, too. When you remove the pin at the tabernacle, what kind of upward force do you experience at the base of your mast while it is sitting on the bow rail? I am expecting to have to "capture" the base of mine. Calculations next. I should be able to build a simple aluminum crutch with a couple of struts intersecting the bow rail and extending a couple of feet forward and a little higher. I like the idea of carrying it a bit higher than you do.

Thanks for the videos. How did you get the boat back on the trailer?

Down
Kielanders (11-08-2013)