Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Solo Mast Stepping System

Greg,

It is great to have a source of this information as I am making this modification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
Down,

Our mast does not have a foot welded to it. The mast step on deck has an elongated hole on each side in it for the bolt. As the mast goes forward, the loosened bolt slides up a bit in the mount. The forward bottom of the mast also has a rounded area to it.
My mast step has (will have) a slot (elongated hole) for the pin to slide up in while the base "rotates" through the arc created by the shape of the base. I will also radius the leading edge of the base of the mast. From looking at the base of Ed's mast in his video it looks like "cheeks" have been added to the outside of the mast to strengthen it where the hole for the pin is drilled. I understand that the only strain on the pin is during raising and lowering. Will it be overkill to add reinforcement at the sides of the base of the mast? I do plan to weld a piece of sch 40 aluminum with an id of the dia of the pin into the mast as reinforcement.

Quote:
One thing that we have to watch out for is that once the mast is lowered, (or as you prep for raising) is that as it's base is ready for the bolt to go in, the top of the mast is far forward and tends to drop, so I have to hold the base down. Sit on it and then put the bolt through the sides of the mount and the mast base.
Do you know the distance from the step to the bow support on your boat?

Quote:
I made a board that fits across our bow pulpit with a large trailer roller in it. Once the mast is down sitting on it' it's easy to just allow the base to rise up a bit (under control) and roll it back. I then support it on the bow pulpit (without the roller) forward, on the boom gallows aft and I use one of the wood 4x4s trailer chucks, that I special cut to to mount where the mast step is and it supports the middle of the mast for transport.

As chicken as I am, I had the mast raised for me the first time to make sure everything fits and is secure. Lowering is then easy and setting up the 4 part bridal is easy, and if not taken apart, the correct size for the raising.

If you need any close up photos, just ask and the next time I go to the boat I will snap a couple.

Greg
Thanks for all your help. Pictures of your step and the base of your mast would be great! A measurement of the length of your slot and the height of the pin's hole above the deck would be helpful. I think I have figured out dimensions that will work but confirmation is always good.

Thanks again,

George
Old 11-09-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Greg,

It is great to have a source of this information as I am making this modification.

.... SNIP ....
Do you know the distance from the step to the bow support on your boat?
.... SNIP ....
Pictures of your step and the base of your mast would be great!
George,

No problem!

My mast does not have any welded support on it's sides. It does have a compression tube welded on the inside where the bolt goes through it.

On my next trip to the boat, may not be till Monday as I am working on the tow truck over the weekend, I will take the measurement and snap a couple of close up photos.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

My last boat was a Hunter 26 and used the same gin pole setup as the 260. I raised and lowered the mast routinely by myself. One of the good things about the system is the only "extra" parts you need are the gin pole and side stays, which are easy to keep on the boat.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 11-12-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Greg,

Thanks for all your help. Pictures of your step and the base of your mast would be great! A measurement of the length of your slot and the height of the pin's hole above the deck would be helpful. I think I have figured out dimensions that will work but confirmation is always good.

Thanks again,

George
George,

Here are a couple of photos of the mast step and timber. Sorry I just got to the boat today. I am working on varnish in the garage just now. The base of the mast is harder to get to. But it's just a bolt hole with a pipe welded inside as a compression tube.

My mast is 35 Ft. and the distance from the base to the bow pulpit brace is ABOUT 13.5 foot +/-.

Hope it helps.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Solo Mast Stepping System-mastforward.jpg   Solo Mast Stepping System-mastmeasure.jpg   Solo Mast Stepping System-masttobow.jpg   Solo Mast Stepping System-mastwood.jpg  

Youtube page -
Old 11-12-2013

QuickMick is on a distinguished road

I made a simple JinPole for my 23... can do it easy peasy. 40 bucks in hardward plus the cost of the winch.
Jin-Pole

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture