SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   i NEED HELP/Training weather? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/105234-i-need-help-training-weather.html)

ltgoshen 11-01-2013 04:19 PM

i NEED HELP/Training weather?

I'm kind of new at the big boat thing. I have owned it for 2 years now
and have had some great days sailing but no with any wind really. Well
this weekend will offer a cold front with some good wind to practice
in
Here is what the weather man is calling for.

Sat
NW winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 4 to 6 ft...subsiding to 3 to 4 ft in the
afternoon. A chance of showers...mainly in the morning.
Sat Night
NW winds 10 to 15 kt...increasing to 15 to 20 kt after midnight. Seas
3 to 4 ft.
Sun
N winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 3 to 4 ft.
Sun Night
NE winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 3 to 4 ft...building to 4 to 5 ft after midnight.
Do you think I would need to reef in this weather? Like I said I have
had plenty of days in 8 to sa 14 knots of wind. So whatís your
recommendation to a newby in this weather?

Thanks for your help.
Keep in mind my sail inventory
1) Working head 110% sail with 2 reef points.
2) Working Main sail
3) Racing main sail
3) 135% Genoa
4) 155% Genoa
5) 170% drifter
6) asymmetrical kite with sock.

Thanks again for your help. I need anybodyís specific advice on how
the C&C 30 MK1 handles this kind of air.

jimgo 11-01-2013 04:22 PM

Re: i NEED HELP/Training weather?

When in doubt, reef. Better and safer, especially in 4-6 foot seas.

BarryL 11-01-2013 05:38 PM

Hey,

Here's what I would do:

I would start with a small headsail and a reefed main. Then I would beat upwind for an hour or two. Try to get as far upwind as possible. Be sure to do multiple tacks so you can a feel for tacking into high winds and seas.

After beating upwind turn and run downwind towards home. You can probably shake the reef out for the downwind run.

If the wind is 20 kts true you will be getting 25 kts upwind, which will require you to have seriously reduced sail. Then, downwind your 20 true will be under 15 apparent. You can shake the reefs out and have a real blast downwind.

Have fun and be safe.

Barry

benesailor 11-01-2013 05:54 PM

ditto..... barryL
Well put

smurphny 11-01-2013 07:39 PM

Reef automatically if 20 knots are predicted. Wind is almost always greater than the forecast because most forecasts are for coastal LAND areas. If you get an offshore forecast it will be closer to the truth. An old sailors saying that is most often true: "As the sun rises, so does the wind."

Tacking upwind will be fun but be very careful of jibing unintentionally once you turn around and come back on a run. Your safest bet if the wind is honking is to stay well away from a dead run and practice intentional jibes, tacking back. With wind 20+ knots you can bring down the entire rig or hurt someone with the boom jibing if you're not very careful. Tacking is easy. If you miss it, you just fall off and try again. Jibing is more difficult to pull off smoothly without putting a lot of stress on the rig. If the sea is rolling, as it usually is in 20 knots of wind, it will want to throw the boat around on a run and cause you to expose the sail to a jibe. 100% attention at the helm is necessary with a following sea.

PaulinVictoria 11-01-2013 07:56 PM

You going out by yourself, or have crew? If you have crew, try it with a full main and the 135. If by yourself, go conservative and put in a reef or two plus the 110.

Irunbird 11-01-2013 07:59 PM

Sounds like you're in Charleston! There is no racing this weekend (except at the CofC, and that's a college invitational), so you should probably not use the racing main and stick with the dacron working sails. You didn't mention how many crew or where you plan to go, but if you go offshore, I'd stick with those same sails and reef as others have mentioned. 15-20 frequently turns into "gusting to 25 or 30" when you get out there, so I'd definitely reef before going out.

jackdale 11-01-2013 11:27 PM

I have not sailed C&C 30, bit I have sailed lots of C&C 29's.

My rule for reefing: If you ask youself the question "Should I reef?" The answer is "YES". Since you have asked the question, the answer is .....

Put the racing sails in your garage. Put the asym there as well. Bring out the racing sails when you get into racing. Hire an instructor to help you rig fly and douse the asym - there is lots to learn about that sail.

Use the Dacron sails. I gather that you foresail / headsail is a hank-on sail. Hank on the 110 at the dock, put one reef in and lash it down. When you raise you main, put one reef in. It is easier to shake reefs than to put them in.

PaulinVictoria 11-02-2013 12:19 AM

The C&C30 MkI is a fantastic boat in a good strong breeze, very stable, very stiff and very well mannered. It's one of the stiffest boats they ever made. You will give up before the boat does.

Faster 11-02-2013 01:32 AM

Barry nailed it.. A reef in the main and the small jib will be a good starting point for you. Easy to remove the reef if it turned out unnecessary. Anything over 10 knots true and you're probably fine with the smaller headsail, esp when beating, anyway. On the downwind leg just reach back and forth and practice your gybes rather than run DDW with small sails.

Like Paul said you've got a good boat for it. Time to find that out for yourself.