SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Smacky is a published author (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/105251-smacky-published-author.html)

jackdale 11-02-2013 01:09 PM

Smacky is a published author

Check out the November issue of Cruising World for an article by our own Smackdaddy (we do share him with some other forums).

Having been through an AMVER coordinated medevac in August 2012, there is worthwhile information for anyone venturing into the big bluewater.

rhr1956 11-02-2013 01:21 PM

Re: Smacky is a published author

What is the article title?

jackdale 11-02-2013 01:45 PM

"The Freighter's Here! Now what?"

page 58

smackdaddy 11-02-2013 05:29 PM

Thanks for the shout-out Jack!

The article tease on the cover says: "Safety At Sea: Rescue Ship's Here. Now What?" (Page 58 as Jack says)

Huge thanks to the many people who helped with interviews, etc!

I'm now working with the SAS folks to possibly integrate some of this information into the SAS training. So stay tuned. I may be coming to Jacob's ladder near you!

djodenda 11-02-2013 07:04 PM

That's cool, Smack.. Keep it up and I may resubscribe!

travlineasy 11-02-2013 07:07 PM

Congratulations young man and welcome to the world of publishing.

Gary :cool:

The Ol Man 11-02-2013 08:22 PM

Experence is what you learn, knowledge is what you share with others, thanks Smakdaddy for sharing.

billyruffn 11-02-2013 11:16 PM

Goodonya, Smack!

Is there a link?

Minnewaska 11-03-2013 03:14 PM

Smack,

Has Ron Trossbach been helpful with SAS?

smackdaddy 11-03-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 1114235)
Smack,

Has Ron Trossbach been helpful with SAS?

Absolutely. He was one of the first guys I contacted when starting this story. And now that the article is up, he's putting me in touch with other SAS folks to spread the word.

If I recall correctly, there were a total of 9 people who were very generous with their time and info for this story. I'm very grateful to them all. I really enjoyed talking with Ben Strong (AMVER Relations Director) and Geoff Pagels (SAR Controller) of the USCG and walking through the whole process. I have so much respect and admiration for those guys - as I'm sure we all do.

As mentioned in the article, the USCG is working with other SAR organizations around the world, as well as with the shipping industry to move toward more standardization in equipment and training for these kinds of rescues. It's a huge undertaking as you can imagine - but they are on it.