Anchoring for long term or in unprotected waters - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 75 Old 12-19-2013
Mermaid Hunter

Re: Anchoring for long term or in unprotected waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Not to mention some pretty good food more than likely.
Definitely better than in the house with no power! It's an all-electric (*shudder*) kitchen...

On Auspicious there are always Good Eats.
Donna_F likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 75 Old 03-14-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Why would you want to stay so long in one place? A boat is to GO with.
Because he's a BUM. He's not looking to "go" anywhere, he's looking to anchor his POS $300 "home" somewhere, so that he can beat the cost of land-based rent and taxes.

As I often say, I am a huge advocate of saving abandoned sailboats that are still in useful condition, often to the point that a lot of people think I take things too far. Then, someone like this guycompletely exceeds even my tolerance for buying junk boats and acting (or proposing) totally irresponsible behavior.

I love the line "that would never happen".
Steel, just because the boat is "out of sight", doesn't mean that it's not an environmental hazard down at the bottom of the river. It also doesn't mean that you are not legally responsible for cleaning up your trash.

People like this: CNN Hero are cleaning up after people like you.

You asked why people don't do this-
Because it's impractical, unsafe, and irresponsible. Does that answer your question?

Get a clue, mate or take up golf.
What an *******...you and other wealthy yachters don't just own the water You can't decide that it's only for your recreation and pleasure. But my real problem is that you criticize this guy just because he is poor obviously needs to save some money in order to survive or wants to save money maybe so that he can better himself. As long as he's properly anchored and following all the laws Taking care of his boat and gear well enough not interfering with shipping lanes? I don't see why anyone like you even has a right to have an opinion on this. God didn't make you king of the water to decide who gets to use it an how. Don't you think that you are a danger to the environment with your petroleum using car And generally excessive lifestyle? ?Anyone in the 40+ foot motoryacht pollutes more in a few hours than a sunken sailboat will until all the oil finish trickling out of the engine years later. And I'm pretty much sure that anyone who lives on land has a bigger impact on the environment than a humble pauper at sea. Also by the way consider that more of the earth is covered by Sea That goes all the way down many miles so because there is so much less of it actually pollution on land is more serious by quantity of pollution
post #53 of 75 Old 03-14-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

This is your first post? You don't know anything about me.

You're half-right- I'm an *******, but I'm not a rich yottie, unless you think a 43 year old, dirty, worn-down sloop is "high living."

I know times are tough and people are looking for places to live, but guys like the PO (this thread is 2yo BTW) are responsible for making life tough for law abiding sailors.

You can be down on your luck, broke and living aboard a crap boat without being a total moron, littering, polluting and being a hazard to navigation by securing your boat incorrectly.

I know, because I've done it!

I'll quote myself from the earlier post- Get a clue, mate!
eherlihy and chef2sail like this.

1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #54 of 75 Old 03-14-2016
HANUMAN

Maybe it's just me, but as Easter approaches, do the resurrections seem to get more prevalent?
fryewe, alctel and Salty Mike like this.

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #55 of 75 Old 03-14-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

I think people are lashing out from cabin fever. Everyone's spending too much time on the forums, and getting itchy.
I know I am.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #56 of 75 Old 03-14-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I think people are lashing out from cabin fever. Everyone's spending too much time on the forums, and getting itchy.
I know I am.
We have had bad weather here for a week and I am climbing the walls.

Very un-Caribbean.

I am off to St Barts for the 100+ footer Bucket races this weekend and an Easter cruise so maybe I will find my Zen on some wave.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

post #57 of 75 Old 03-14-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Victory is probably a once and done-er but that doesn't make the post any less wrong. Ajax had his say as was his due since he was slammed. Please let's not keep it going.
SVAuspicious likes this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #58 of 75 Old 03-14-2016

It looked like a troll to me. Get a quick response and go back under the bridge. At my marina, btw, we have a number of people that would be homeless without their boats. They are required to keep them seaworthy along with the rest of us.They are just more inventive, and the boats usually much smaller.

Integrity and honesty mean more than money and fame.
post #59 of 75 Old 03-14-2016

im 33, by the time i retire the whole sailing lifestyle will be taxed to hell and banned nearly everywhere because of people finding loopholes in the law. sometimes common courtesy needs to be observed above and beyond the law. following the letter of the law simply means if you could do less you would. atleast with many people
post #60 of 75 Old 03-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
It looked like a troll to me. Get a quick response and go back under the bridge. At my marina, btw, we have a number of people that would be homeless without their boats. They are required to keep them seaworthy along with the rest of us.They are just more inventive, and the boats usually much smaller.
If you're talking about me I was googling the size an anchor should be for long-term stays and this thread came up, and I saw this guy's response and I was just so Appalled I felt compelled to join the forum ( of course I have other better things to discuss but that post just really p-o'd me.

True may be a lot of anchorites will never be real sailors but that doesn't mean we should rob them of their way of life and livelihood around my way a lot of people who live at anchor are smalltime fisherman for example and need to be close to the water it's a whole lifestyle for them. And they serve the dock queen owners with amazing fresh fish they couldn't get anywhere else. So everyone has their place in the harbor.

Alongside that all of the paranoid( of rough around the edges anchorites) boat owners of the Marinas are trying to blame all of the water pollution on the anchor dwellerswhen in fact there are far less of them than doc Queens and they pollute far less

Last edited by HMSVictory; 03-15-2016 at 01:53 AM.

Tags
anchor anchoring

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.