Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2013

steel is on a distinguished road
Anchoring for long term or in unprotected waters

I've been wondering about keeping a boat anchored for several months, and not paying a marina. Is it possible? I guess it depends on the circumstances, and that's what the rest of this is about.

I've heard that certain places, such as populated places like California have time restrictions on anchoring. I understand that, but as far as I know most other places don't.

If you're not in an anchorage, you're supposed to have an anchor light. That can be done with a battery and solar panel, so that's no problem.

Then there's the weather. My assumption is that if the boat can be sailed in rough waters, that it can also be anchored in the same conditions with a proper anchor setup. Is there any chance that this could work in larger unprotected waters? It's amazing how small anchors are compared to the sizes of boats that they are used on. Making a bigger or better one would not be hard at all. Waves must get worse as the water gets shallower, but a long line isn't very expensive and a homemade mooring isn't hard to make.

Here in the Illinois river or Peoria Lake as they call part of it, there are some very wide areas that are far from the channel. I've seen a few pontoon boats beached in front of some people's houses, but nothing anchored out. Why don't people do it?

If I bought some $300 piece of junk boat, couldn't I keep it anchored, and if something happened, it really wouldn't be much of a loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchoring for long term or in unprotected waters

Quote:
If I bought some $300 piece of junk boat, couldn't I keep it anchored, and if something happened, it really wouldn't be much of a loss.
Someone may expect YOU to remove it when it washes up on their front lawn.
PCP and blowinstink like this.
Old 11-02-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
How long have you been here? Have you read anything on this forum?
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 11-02-2013

steel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
How long have you been here? Have you read anything on this forum?
Yes ... there is a strong attitude against anyone trying to do things a different way to cut costs. Everyone is expected to have safety equipment which is only considered necessary in 1st world countries where it can be afforded, and everyone is expected to have a proper marina or mooring and be insured, even though it is not required by law.

Quote:
Someone may expect YOU to remove it when it washes up on their front lawn.
If it is properly secured that would never happen. What could happen is it would sink. If the mast was down and it sank in deep water, it would just join the many other pieces of junk on the sea floor. Nobody would ever know that anything happened. People spend more time being upset about about some harmless non oil polluting wreck than they did about Deepwater Horizon.
Old 11-03-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

This is the kind of thinking that give cruisers a bad name, suggest you take up another hobby.
Seaduction likes this.
Old 11-03-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Why would you want to stay so long in one place? A boat is to GO with.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-03-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

So long as it is legal to anchor long term where you choose, yes you can do so. Should your boat sink you are legally required to have it floated and hauled out. As well as pay the fines for any damage done, and the environmental fines for any pollution or sewage that is released. Should it wash ashore you are responsible for removal and any damage that occurs, including any cost for environmental fines.
Jeff_H and davidpm like this.
Old 11-03-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

If we ignore for the moment, whether it's legal, responsible, reasonable or desirable, let's just look at the practicality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
It's amazing how small anchors are compared to the sizes of boats that they are used on. Making a bigger or better one would not be hard at all. Waves must get worse as the water gets shallower, but a long line isn't very expensive and a homemade mooring isn't hard to make.
I can only assume that you don't know much about anchors or moorings. BTW, it's unclear which you are proposing - If it's really a mooring, how are you going to set it in place?

Quote:
If it is properly secured that would never happen.
Really? I can only assume that you don't know much about anchors or moorings.

Quote:
What could happen is it would sink. If the mast was down and it sank in deep water, it would just join the many other pieces of junk on the sea floor. Nobody would ever know that anything happened.
You can see the contradiction between water shallow enough to anchor and deep enough to sink without a trace, right?

Could you do it? Maybe.
Is it safe or practical? Under the scenario you describe, those two are probably mutually exclusive.
Old 11-03-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Why would you want to stay so long in one place? A boat is to GO with.
Because he's a BUM. He's not looking to "go" anywhere, he's looking to anchor his POS $300 "home" somewhere, so that he can beat the cost of land-based rent and taxes.

As I often say, I am a huge advocate of saving abandoned sailboats that are still in useful condition, often to the point that a lot of people think I take things too far. Then, someone like this guy comes along and completely exceeds even my tolerance for buying junk boats and acting (or proposing) totally irresponsible behavior.

I love the line "that would never happen".
Steel, just because the boat is "out of sight", doesn't mean that it's not an environmental hazard down at the bottom of the river. It also doesn't mean that you are not legally responsible for cleaning up your trash.

People like this: CNN Hero are cleaning up after people like you.

You asked why people don't do this-
Because it's impractical, unsafe, and irresponsible. Does that answer your question?

Get a clue, mate or take up golf.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 11-03-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

I anchor a lot, almost always when I cruise and sometimes I anchor in settled weather on relatively unprotected waters. It can be done on one condition: To set sail immediately out of there at the first sign of stronger weather coming, no matter the hour of the day or the night.

It is not obviously what you are talking about. Even on protected waters there are not many places where a boat can be safely on anchor all year around, no matter the weather.
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
anchor anchoring

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.