Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2013
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'

SailRedemption is on a distinguished road
Re: Phones Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Actually, it has to do with the ability to monitor everything you do online. Now, Google no longer has to wait for you to hit a page that happens to go to a site with one of their ads; instead they can track all the people you E-mail, all the sites you visit, and every other interaction with the device so they can "better target" advertising to you. It's scary, really. That's part of why I go with Apple. Not that I think their products are that much better, but I don't want one company knowing THAT much about me and what I do.
You do realize that Google is a search engine company that made an operating system and Apple is a phone and operating system creator that uses said search engine company? The notion that you aren't being monitored for marketing use and statistical analysis because you are using an Apple device is false thinking. Google/Microsoft(Bing)/Yahoo/MSN whatever you use for your email and/or search engine, you are still being monitored, tracked, and recorded(to a certain extent). Apple uses your phone usage and app usage as well for statistical data and better marketing. The fact that you have already logged on to the internet with your own IP address puts you into everyone's system, including the NSA's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

BoatyardBoy, I wasn't suggesting that Apple isn't monitoring me. Just that I'm happier having Apple have a subset of my information, and Google their own subset. And, for the record, I have my own E-mail server, and vary my search engine use. Yeah, I'm a little paranoid about some things!

Sorry, I didn't mean to take the thread off track.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-04-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Maybe I'm naive, but I always thought that they're ALL using my personal data to direct advertising. So it doesn't matter much whether you use iOS or Android. They're all using your info for this. And I don't think that's necessarily a sinister thing. If I've gotta look at ads, I might as well look at ones that are a good fit for me.

I know that there is potential for abuse, such using the GPS to track my wherabouts, but I figure you need to take the good with the bad. Aside from my SSN, bank accounts, credit cards, etc., I just don't have that much to hide.

All things considered, I like Android's ability to sideload apps and data, and to directly access the file content of the entire phone. Apple's obsession with controlling access to the contents of their phones and tablets does raise my suspicion a little bit.

I see much of this as a repeat of the Mac vs. Windows battles of the '90s. Apple exerts huge control over the user experience and jumps off to a fast lead, but that control ultimately stifles innovation. The more free-wheeling environment (Windows then, Android now) initially has problems with inconsistent user experience, but over the years that sorts itself out and the innovation takes off and surpasses Apple because the more open environment is ultimately friendlier to the most creative developers. It happened before, and I see it happening again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 11-04-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-04-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

iPad nav apps are only compatible with iBoats, and since you bought an incompatible boat that is not supported by Apple, none of the iPad apps will work with it.

(WEG)

No, really, the good news is that you can go to your local Apple store and download all the nav apps you please and play with them all day on the iPads in the store, to see how they work. And the Geek Bar guys will be there to help. Then you can see for yourself if an iPad is for you. In which case, of course, you'll have to dump the C22 and still buy an iBoat.

:-)
jimgo likes this.
Old 11-05-2013

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road

This is a really stupid question, so bear with me. I'm a techno-dummy. I have an Ipad and I've played with a few charting apps, but only at home where the WiFi is automatically working. Does the GPS feature of the Ipad and nav programs depend on WiFi or does it work when you're away from the internet?

Thanks, Mike
Old 11-05-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
This is a really stupid question, so bear with me. I'm a techno-dummy. I have an Ipad and I've played with a few charting apps, but only at home where the WiFi is automatically working. Does the GPS feature of the Ipad and nav programs depend on WiFi or does it work when you're away from the internet?

Thanks, Mike
It works away from the internet, including offshort. It might take a few seconds longer to initially get a fix on the position.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 11-05-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Mike, IIRC (vaguely!) the iPad3 was the first one with GPS built in. As long as your iPad has GPS built in it should work off the grid. Applications which locally store charts and do not need internet access will likewise work off the grid, assuming your iPad has enough memory to store the charts for the areas you need.
Old 11-05-2013

br3nt is on a distinguished road

All iPads that have cellular access (3G or LTE) have GPS. Wifi only iPads do not have GPS.

With regard to copying files back and forth (and excluding big brother paranoia), it makes a lot of sense to use a service like Dropbox for files. It will sync files wirelessly between multiple computers and whatever device you choose. In a crunch you can even securely access your files through the website on someone else's device (don't forget to logout when you're done!). I keep all my sailing files/manuals on it and can access them from my laptop, tablet or phone.

As far as apps, I prefer to primarily use a basic chart otter on board but I use iSailor as a backup a and for planning.

Congrats on the boat!
Old 11-05-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by br3nt View Post
As far as apps, I prefer to primarily use a basic chart otter on board ...
I hate basic chart otters. They eat too much, they are a REAL pain to housebreak, and they can get downright mean. I've found it much better to spend the money and upgrade to an advanced chart otter, where most of the work has been done for you.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 11-05-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post

Thanks, Mike
If you have a wifi only iPad, you'll need an external GPS to sync to. I use the Dual XGPS. Works great with my iPad and has long battery life. I see they just came out with a "pro" version where you can sync up to five devices to it. The advantage to that is I can sync my phone to the GPS rather than using cellular minutes.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.