Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road
Phones Apps

Well if you have been following my thread on looking for boats I put a deposit on a C22 today after a 2hr lake trial. It's plenty enough boat for me as I'll be in a large inland lake, and being a single handed, brand new sailor.

I'm doing this to gain experience and become proficient at sailing with the goal of buying a SoCal boat in the next two years and using it as an escape from the blistering hot Arizona summers.

My question is, I need a new cell phone, which system Apple or Andriod offer the best free or inexpensive sailing apps

I want to become familiar with them even though I don't need them a for a lake so when I start chartering in SoCal next summer I'm proficient at reading what are they are telling me and there's no learning curve.

Or should I bite the bullet and get an IPad and load the apps on that. I'd like charts, weather, maybe instant alerts, GPS, etc...
jimgo likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road
Re: Phones Apps

I really like my iPad. You can keep all your manuals on it as PDFs, you have access to the sailing apps, you can have all your music with you, and if the wind dies you can watch a movie.
Old 11-03-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I'm thinking it may be the way to go since it has a larger screen and there's no radio on board so it would allow for some Jimmy Buffett in the background.

I was sort of looking at being more cost effective though as I do need a new phone and hate to lay out the iPad type money.

Someone must be able to tell me what are the best phone apps for sailing...??????
Old 11-03-2013

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road

Check out android tablets like the nexus 7 or 10. Both are great tabets(7 and 10 inch) and are half the price of a ipad. You'll find the same apps for both platforms these days. Very rarely are apps not for both operating systems. Plus the good thing about Android is you can plug into a computer and drag and drop pdf files, pictures, chart files, music onto it like a USB thumb drive. Super easy since you don't have to go through iTunes.

-sent from sea via corked bottle
Old 11-03-2013

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road

Also the same goes for Android phones. Depending on your carrier, the nexus line of Android phones are great for the price. But you should try both operating systems to see which you like best. More phones to select from with android (screen size, layout, etc)

-sent from sea via corked bottle
Old 11-03-2013
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road

I have an iPad, Android phone and an Android tablet. The most cost effective way to go is the Android tablet. There is an android app named MX Mariner that allows you to download maps for all over the US and Pacific. It is the best and cheapest app available. You can also "root" your Android phone fairly easily and tether other wifi devices.

I do prefer the elegance of the iPad for writing and remote video editing, after many hours of sailing I have to say that the Android takes it for navigation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 11-03-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Don't forget the Apps & Authors forum on Sailnet.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 11-03-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Well if you have been following my thread on looking for boats I put a deposit on a C22 today after a 2hr lake trial. It's plenty enough boat for me as I'll be in a large inland lake, and being a single handed, brand new sailor.

I'm doing this to gain experience and become proficient at sailing with the goal of buying a SoCal boat in the next two years and using it as an escape from the blistering hot Arizona summers.

My question is, I need a new cell phone, which system Apple or Andriod offer the best free or inexpensive sailing apps

I want to become familiar with them even though I don't need them a for a lake so when I start chartering in SoCal next summer I'm proficient at reading what are they are telling me and there's no learning curve.

Or should I bite the bullet and get an IPad and load the apps on that. I'd like charts, weather, maybe instant alerts, GPS, etc...
Well, I can't give a thoughtful answer because I have a dumb phone. I take it sailing with me in case somebody calls me (which seldom happens). I've been sailing without "apps" for a number of years and have done just fine. A VHF handheld receives weather forecasts and also calls for help just in case. You don't have to look up a phone number. I would buy an Apple Ipad just for amusement, if that helps.
Old 11-03-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I use the Garmin Bluechart app on my iPad and iPhone. App is free but $35 for the entire east coast ($22 this year for updated charts) is, in my opinion, a bargain. Pay once and it works on both iPhone and iPad. I love the features it has.

Traveling up the coast of Florida and GA (in and out of the ICW), I compared it to the display on the boat's chartplotter and they were comparable as far as accuracy.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-03-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road
Phones Apps

I have an older iPhone and even though the screen is a bit smaller than the new ones I like it for marine apps. I use Garmin Blue Chart and EarthNC Marine Charts on both the iPhone and my iPad. The phone is actually more convenient since I just take it out of my pocket when I need it. The display is fine to zoom in and see the area of the chart I'm interested in.

That said, I'm sure there are good apps for non-Apple phones as well. I go with Apple because my computers are all Apple so everything plays nice together. If you're not a Mac person then my guess is you could go either way and be happy.