Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By jambone
  • 1 Post By jambone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2013

jambone is on a distinguished road
E.B. White on Sailing

Found this on reddit. I enjoyed it so much I thought I'd share it. Made me smile many times.

http://www.burytherail.com/snugglebu...at%20Blows.pdf
JimMcGee, eherlihy and Delta-T like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to jambone For This Useful Post:
Group9 (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: E.B. White on Sailing

Thanks for posting this. I've always loved the quote that's currently in my signature line, but had never seen the full article it was from.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 11-05-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-05-2013

jambone is on a distinguished road

No problem! After I finished reading it I thought there were at least ten great lines that I would have to keep tucked away.
anxiousman likes this.
Old 11-05-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambone View Post
No problem! After I finished reading it I thought there were at least ten great lines that I would have to keep tucked away.
Thanks for the post!

Does anyone know if a random-quote routine can be used to generate signatures? I have quite a few I'd like to use, and it would be interesting to see a different one every day. Maybe the MODs or ADMIN can make it happen?
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-05-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Thanks for this. Man, do I relate to every word!!! I thought I was crazy, but after reading this - maybe not.

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
Old 11-05-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Speaking of E.B. White, one of the most wonderful books you'll ever read about boats and the people who create them is the story of his son's last design - the W-76 from the hand of Joel White...

A beautiful story, HIGHLY recommended...

Quote:

In a time when racing boats are mass-produced from synthetic materials, a dying breed of craftsman continues to build wooden sailboats of astonishing beauty. Boatbuilding is an ancient art, and Joel White was a master. Son of the legendary writer E.B. White, he was raised around boats and his designs were as sublime and graceful as his father's prose. At a boatyard in Maine, White and his closely knit team of builders brought scores of his creations from blueprints into the ocean.

In June 1996, six months after being diagnosed with cancer, Joel White began designing the W-76, an exquisite racing yacht. It was his final masterpiece. Douglas Whynott spent a year at Brooklin Boat Yard, observing as this design took shape, first in sketches and then during the painstaking building of the wooden craft.

The result is the poignant tale of both a genius at work and the people devoted to his art. Evoking E.B. White's New England and its salty residents, A Unit of Water, a Unit of Time is a classic portrait of dignity, charm, and humble magnificence-and of a maritime community that keeps a vanishing world alive.

A Unit of Water, A Unit of Time: Joel White's Last Boat: Douglas Whynott: 9780671785260: Amazon.com: Books
This is WILD HORSES, on Somes Sound...

Old 11-05-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that post. It's been years since I read that.

And another recommend for "A Unit of Water...". A very good book. Another one in the same vein of modern builders of wooden boats (and a better book for my money than the Whynott volume) is "Wooden Boats" by Michael Ruhlman. Although Ruhlman has become much better known for his books about food and TV appearances on cooking shows, Wooden Boats shows that he can really delve into the minutae of boat building. In the book, he shows how the Benjamin and Gannon yard on Martha's Vineyard is keeping alive a tradition of craftsmanship, art and an ethos of building things of value that last. A nice contrast to the Maine-centric wooden boat building book by Whynott.
Old 11-05-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

"A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble."
e b white

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-05-2013

SoOkay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
"....and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble."
e b white
Couln't help it, my first thought was "The heads or the holding tank may be the problem"

"Besides, if we get lost, we pull in somewhere and ask directions." --Captain Ron

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.