SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looking at Sailnet in strange places

924 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Minnesail 
#1 ·
I have checked SN in probably 25 countries but have a new most strange one. I am sitting in the airport in Abu Dhabi at 830 in the morning after an overnight flight from Rome. Flight to Johannesburg leaves in an hour (8 1/2 hr), followed by 2 hour flight to Cape Town. Get to the boat about midnight - I will be in great shape by then.

If you are looking for dock space there are lots of small, protected yacht harbours here with nary a boat in the. Lot of sand too if you are into that.

Reactions: jimgo
#2 ·
Glad to hear you're getting back to the boat.. How's the hand?

#3 ·
I sure hope you are flying first class.
I got back to Trinidad from a six day trip to RI and figured I'd just spent a thousand Euros so that United Air Lines could torture me for 18 hours and the airports could rip me off, never mind the TSA!
Flying used to be so much fun. Oh well.

#7 ·
Back at the boat and we certainly did not fly first class. On the bright side, airlines outside the US are much better than in the US. For various parts of our trip we were on Air Transat, Alitalia, Etihad, and South African. Only South African was mediocre but it was only two hours from Jo'burg to Cape Town and we did get in early. Etihad was quite impressive, even had really nice headphones for watching movies.

Boat seems fine with only two fenders gone bad - one totally split and the other with a slow leak. Glad we have really good fenders 10 and 12 inchers. This place is seriously windy with 20 to 30 today, but the advice for those anchoring is that 50 knots is "commonplace". We had a boat caretaker who kept an eye out on lines and the like. We have some chafe damage from the main sheet on the Bimini which was on its last legs anyway. We will patch it up rather than replace since we are planning to build a rigid dodger/bimini when we get back to North America.

On the medical front my hand is usable but a fair distance from perfect. I suspect that using it will help as there is still a lot of scar tissue inside that makes movement a bit slower than it should be.

#8 ·
On the medical front my hand is usable but a fair distance from perfect. I suspect that using it will help as there is still a lot of scar tissue inside that makes movement a bit slower than it should be.
From a direct similar experience I can recommend lots of moderate stretching exercise (without placing too much stress on it) and regular massage. It took me more than a year to recover from a chainsaw accident that severed tendons on my hand. I have gradually recovered full range of motion and after that full strength. Do not get lazy or complacent. Initial year after the operation is critical. Once the deep scar tissue builds up it is extremely hard to make full recovery without a surgical intervention.
Glad to hear you are back in the game.
What a fantastic adventure our life is! :)

#9 ·
I second what krisscross says, be diligent about whatever PT was recommended. I had an unfortunate run-in with a table saw four years ago, but I followed all the recovery instructions and I have almost full use of my hand. I still don't have all the feeling back, but it's slowly returning. Like novocaine that takes years to wear off, instead of hours.

Good luck on your continued recovery!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.