How to get my boat to Florida without breaking the bank - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: How to get my boat to Florida without breaking the bank

With a water draft of 7.55' on your Bene 50 you may be limited to where you can anchor/dock in the Bahamas.
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3153
With that said, keep me in mind if you decide to sail down.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I'm with smurphny on this one. You might be able to make the trip in 3 or 4 overnights, resting between if the weather is bad (anything southerly). Check the pilot charts for the wind this time of year. At the very worst, you might have to leave her until you get a long weekend, but there are plenty of safe marinas along the coast.
I've used several of the free crewing sites with great success. There are always plenty of young folks with some experience needing sea time for licensing or whatever. Be certain to take only Americans, as taking a crew of any other nationality can possibly leave you on the hook for the cost of their repatriation.
You might get really lucky and find someone on these sites you would be comfortable with (after sailing with them for a few days) finishing the trip w/o you, should time send you back, in exchange for living aboard in Fla, until they find another boat going somewhere.
Or even find a professional captain with all his gear, needing to get to Fla (where there's more work) for a modest sum (saving him transportation costs), again living aboard until another position becomes available.
Hope this helps get your boat south; good luck.
Old 11-06-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
With a water draft of 7.55' on your Bene 50 you may be limited to where you can anchor/dock in the Bahamas.
BENETEAU 50 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
With that said, keep me in mind if you decide to sail down.
6 foot draft. (It's published as 5'11" and we currently float above her lines, so 5'9" in reality.)

Regards,
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
...Or even find a professional captain with all his gear, needing to get to Fla (where there's more work) for a modest sum (saving him transportation costs), again living aboard until another position becomes available.
Hope this helps get your boat south; good luck.
Good thought capta. Our boat is a sweet livaboard too:
stack pack
windlass
dinghy davits
long range wifi
wicker love seat on deck
true sine wave inverter and microwave, propane oven
4 double beds
540 watts of solar power (got rid of the wind genny)
top notch fridge and freezer -- ice cream
TV and DVD (40 DVD library)
Siruis satellite radio, with input for iPhone/iTunes
1,000 liters of water, engine driven hot water
11.5 RIB with 20hp Tohatsu
dodger and full bimini
lots of opening hatches and fans
She really makes for a luxurious livaboard.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 11-06-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-06-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

OK, i'm game. Pay for plane ticket back to NY, throw in food and water, some drinks at the end of the journey and i'm in.
Are you going to try and make it in one shot?
What's your destination in florida?
Do you realize how long a trip outside this could be?
Old 11-06-2013

luv4sailin is on a distinguished road

And where do you plan on leaving this vessel for the winter? Don't you think where ever it is that it will cost real money? If you can't afford to charter, I fear you can't afford to leave the boat in either South Florida or the Bahamas.

I have made the trip from Sag Harbor or Newport to South Florida numerous times. If you have a schedule you will be tempted to make decisions based on your timing needs, not on prudent seamanship. And even if the weather cooperates, you'd be pushing it. I have a smaller (and therefore slower) boat at 35'. In my most recent trip south, I made Newport to Beaufort in 4 1/2 days and Beaufort to Miami in 5 days.

Your constraints make me feel that this is an idea that need some very serious thought before acting. As presented, it doesn't sound like a very wise plan.
Old 11-06-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Find a delivery skipper that may agree to take her down and back in exchange for living aboard and using her all winter other than those couple of holiday weeks. You will pay in wear and tear, however.
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-06-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4sailin View Post
And where do you plan on leaving this vessel for the winter? Don't you think where ever it is that it will cost real money? If you can't afford to charter, I fear you can't afford to leave the boat in either South Florida or the Bahamas.
I figure the east coast of Florida will be about the same cost as having her on the hard near New York city.

Quote:
I have made the trip from Sag Harbor or Newport to South Florida numerous times. If you have a schedule you will be tempted to make decisions based on your timing needs, not on prudent seamanship. And even if the weather cooperates, you'd be pushing it. I have a smaller (and therefore slower) boat at 35'. In my most recent trip south, I made Newport to Beaufort in 4 1/2 days and Beaufort to Miami in 5 days.

Your constraints make me feel that this is an idea that need some very serious thought before acting. As presented, it doesn't sound like a very wise plan.
Agreed. That's is why I'm asking the question. I could take a week off, giving me 9 straight days, even 10. But they may not be the "right" days given weather. I'd rather not put myself in calendar-driven decision mode.

For Newport to Beaufort, how did you make that trip so quickly?

With a 9 day window I could more easily find 5 good days to at least get to Beaufort. Especially because I would try to not lock-in the time off until a few days before, giving me several weeks of options.

Regards,
Brad

Last edited by Bene505; 11-06-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-06-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
EXACTLY...

As we say here in NJ, Fuggeddaboudditt... If you can't find the time to do it yourself in one shot, your costs will add up VERY quickly. Trying to get a boat south in 'steps', taking long weekends or whatever, can become one of the most costly ways to make the trip. Flying to and from places like Charleston or Jacksonville can be incredibly costly and time consuming, as is leaving your boat in marinas during the interim, such is definitely NOT a strategy for getting a boat south on the cheap...

And, for what? 16 DAYS around Christmas??? Hell, that time of the year, it's entirely possible to wait for 2 weeks for a window to cross the Stream to the Bahamas... Unless you're gonna find a LOT more time over the course of the winter to spend down there, I can't see how this would make any sense whatsoever...

Quote:
Exactly... :-)
Old 11-06-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Just as an aside, she was built in France, but has the Waiver of the Coastwise Trade Laws to operate in coast-wise trade. That was a gift from the previous owner.

Quote:
Intended Use: ``Weekly and day charters.' '

Geographic Region: Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode
Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Maryland,
Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.
Regards,
Brad

Last edited by Bene505; 11-06-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

I feel your pain Brad.

I plan on being in the Rio Dulce for Christmas and the best I have been able to come up with so far is a trip to a marina and renting a panga.

Most any professional skipper will require that you have a liferaft on board.
They cost some significant percentage of what a charter costs.
I don't remember if you have one or not. If you do have one they have to be repacked and serviced every couple of years or so.

There are a lot of those guys that are regulars on this forum so they will chime in with their gear requirements.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.