SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   How to get my boat to Florida without breaking the bank (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/105366-how-get-my-boat-florida-without-breaking-bank.html)

Bene505 11-06-2013 01:59 PM

How to get my boat to Florida without breaking the bank

The kids are off school for 16 straight days starting December 20th. This rarely happens.

I would love to get the boat down to Florida to spend some time in the Bahamas, but just don't have the $$ to pay a crew, or all the time to sail her down myself. It seems a real shame to kick around Florida instead, staying with relatives, friends, and at hotels -- and not on our boat. But that is what we are looking at.

So throwing it out there to the forum. Any ideas or options that I haven't considered?

Boat is a 2000 Beneteau 505.

Regards,
Brad

ehmanta 11-06-2013 02:17 PM

Re: How to get my boat to Florida without breaking the bank

Where are you starting from? If it's too far to transport, not to mention the expense, I would charter.

PBzeer 11-06-2013 02:29 PM

Considering time of year, and that it would be a two way trip, I would think a charter would be more realistic.

Bene505 11-06-2013 02:41 PM

Starting in New York. Boat is in Montauk right now, I could get her down to Cape May or thereabouts in the next couple weeks. I could even take a week off to move her, which means 9 days with adjoining weekends, just don't want be put in calendar mode and run into trouble.

68 foot air draft, so ICW is mostly out.

Return could be in the spring or early summer. I can take more than a week off in the spring to move her then. And would have more $$ to pay for crew and an experienced captain. So spring is an easier situation -- both with time and money.

Looking for possible creative solutions. There's no money in the budget to charter another boat.

I feel the pull of warm sunny islands but with just my one brain thinking about it, they seem out of reach.

Regards,
Brad

rgscpat 11-06-2013 02:42 PM

Is there anyone in Florida who might be interested in doing some sort of boat swap with you? Does anyone here know of someone who has done such a thing?

One other thought is how much the various costs of moving the boat, including fuel, marinas, feeding crew, value of your time, and possible breakdowns/wear and tear on the boat, would compare with the cost of a charter.

krisscross 11-06-2013 02:49 PM

Get an unpaid crew to help you sail her down to Florida? Leave a few days early so that you can spend more time with your family in FL?
Sounds like a great adventure. I would make time to see it happen.

Delta-T 11-06-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgscpat (Post 1115794)
Is there anyone in Florida who might be interested in doing some sort of boat swap with you? Does anyone here know of someone who has done such a thing?

Kind of like a time share swap. That sounds like a plan. I have heard of this being done with houses.

Delta-T 11-06-2013 02:52 PM

Look what I found...Boat swap... Boat swap - Exchange your boat and discover new waterways and boating areas

Another case of having an original thought is almost impossible.

smurphny 11-06-2013 03:21 PM

Why not keep an eye out for a good weather window and run her down? Jump from Montauk to Atl. City or Cape May then take Del Bay route out to Norfolk if your 68' will make it under the C&D bridges (I don't remember) and wait for a window to run around the Outer Banks into Beaufort. Beaufort to Charleston, Charleston to The St John's R., St John's to Canaveral, Canaveral to Ft. Pierce, Ft. Pierce to Lake Worth and across to Memory Rock.

With the wind turning more northerly, staying inside the Gulf Stream, you could have some good sailing and deal with class A inlets all the way. If you could even get her down to N. Fl. you could leave her there and then sail to the Bahamas any time. That's what I'm doing this year. Brought the boat down and left her in Green Cove Springs.

jimgo 11-06-2013 03:34 PM

Try calling NJ Boat Hauler, All Aboard Marine Transport, Home Page. They haul up and down the east coast. I wonder if you couldn't catch them as they head south to pick up a boat (though this time of year, they are probably going in the other direction). You might be able to cost-share with someone else.