Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Albin Vega or Pearson Triton 28?

I think you need to decide what your ultimate goal is. If it is only to go as far as Trinidad and back I would go for a somewhat larger, more comfortable boat, there are lots of possibilities. If you think you might want to turn right and go through the canal you might want to stick with something more rugged. Quite like Vegas and we have seen three doing circumnavigations, but with one or two aboard. Would be tight with three. They seem to be becoming cult boats and prices are higher. Might also look at some of the older Bristols in your price range.
Old 11-08-2013

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Aaron, check out Chuck and Laura Rose's video blogs on youtube,
cruising lealea - YouTube
They have crossed from Hawaii to Puget Sound, down to SF Bay, back to Hawaii, and then to Alaska, where they are now. They stay and cruise in their destination area for a season, a year, whatever they feel like. All in A Vega 27. They've been live aboard cruisers for quite some time - hell, they had the same cat, Boatswain Bree, onboard for 16 years!
aaronsailor likes this.

Last edited by Brewgyver; 11-08-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2013

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Both boats are good choices for a tough classic affordable cruiser. Both are on the small side for interior space but offer simple systems, which I see as simple to repair and relatively cheap to repair.

Other boats you may consider if you like the lines of a Triton and idea of full keel boats:

Alberg 30
Pearson Vangaurd
Bristol 27

Check out Sailfar.net as a source for small cruising source

Also as others have mention
Atomvoyager.com
cruisinglealea.com
bristol27.com

Good luck in your search and decision. Just FYI I saw a Vega for sale on Norfol, VA craiglist a few weeks ago for $2k obo and a Triton for $1500. The vega looked to be in decent shape from the dock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 11-08-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

What ever you do DO NOT watch this video
If you go to sea in any boat less than 500' or with a budget of under 10 million dollars annually you surely wil DIE!
Old 11-08-2013

W3ODF is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to W3ODF

Aaron,

I have also considered the Albin Vega as well for a cruising boat. I was able to get a few minutes of Matt Rutherford's (Solo Around the America's Under Sail | An audacious attempt at sailing the Northwest Passage and circumnavigating entirety of both continents, to benefit Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating) time at the 2012 Annapolis Show to talk about the boat's capabilities. The one thing he said that really stuck with me was that it would not heave-to very well since it has a fin-keel. The ability to heave-to is something I consider paramount in a cruising boat. Which is why I sadly crossed the Vega off my list of potential boats. That may not be as important in the Carib though. Happy hunting!
aaronsailor likes this.

Last edited by W3ODF; 11-08-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-08-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

I know you asked about the vega vs the triton, but consider this from Ted Brewer in "Good Old Boat" January/February 2008:
"Designer Ted Brewer has noted that given the choice between going to sea in a Triton or a P28-1 (which replaced the Triton in the Pearson line in 1975) , he'd choose the latter. Not that this denigrates the Triton - a proven circumnavigator many times over - in anyway; just that it places the P28-1 in the same class..."
My reason for using this quote, is to say that there are many more modern designs that will serve your needs better, may not be so tired (40+ years is a lot of wear and tear) and can provide you better sailing characteristics. Open your search a little, and don't worry so much about size. There is not much difference between 27 and 30 feet as far as sailing complexity, but a huge difference in creature comfort.
John
Faster likes this.
Old 11-08-2013

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road

i would suggest if you want to do more blue water, an allied seawind is most likely your best bet, an albin vega is a better choice than a triton and is faster, easier to maneuver though. the sea wind would be heavy and slow, but would be the sturdiest if you decided to do say a circumnavigation after your Caribbean travels. You could heave to in a vega with a sea anchor like the pardey's use most likely.
Old 11-09-2013

aaronsailor is on a distinguished road

Matt has his vega up for sale. americanvega .org / vegasforsale. html
Old 11-09-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

The problem I have with the Vega is the same problem I have with our 27' boat and a lot of early <=30ft sailboats: The interior is dysfunctional. It's not that it's small, it's just poorly laid out.

I don't think this is an issue of size as much as it is the designer/builder choosing to make the boat more accommodating for more people. I've been aboard 20ft boats that had more functional and useful interiors than ours, and 35ft boats with less functional and useful interiors. The design decisions are a compromise, they probably work ok for some people, but not for others. I never intend on overnights with 4 people on our boat, I'd rather that extra space be used and laid out better. I would rather the space be used for a nav table, easily accessible galley, storage, etc, than uncomfortable berths people won't use.

I've seen 27' boats with really functional interiors and those without. I don't really find size to be the issue unless you need more sleeping space and those features. With 2 people, 27' should be large enough, but it needs to be laid out functionality, which many boats that size are not.

You could probably rip out most of the non-structural pieces and build it to your liking inside, I've nearly done it a few times. The only thing holding me back is the same reason the builder likely didn't do it from the start, it would narrow the market for the boat when we decide to sell it.
Old 11-09-2013

aaronsailor is on a distinguished road

What are some boats with good interiors, Shinook? I am a simple is better kind of guy, and I like the narrow beam on some of the older boats. I have limited experience with different sailboat interiors under sail, and I don't like the fact that the vega doesn't have a designated nav table. My understanding is newer boats have more room, but a wider beam. I could definitely redo the vega interior, but I'd like to be heading out to sea in less than two years, not four or five.

Tags
caribbean , cruiser , icw , pearson , vega