Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: Albin Vega or Pearson Triton 28?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsailor View Post
What are some boats with good interiors, Shinook? I am a simple is better kind of guy, and I like the narrow beam on some of the older boats. I have limited experience with different sailboat interiors under sail, and I don't like the fact that the vega doesn't have a designated nav table. My understanding is newer boats have more room, but a wider beam. I could definitely redo the vega interior, but I'd like to be heading out to sea in less than two years, not four or five.
Oh, I agree on the beam and age issue, they don't have to be new/light/beamy boats to have functional interiors.

I like the interiors on these boats:

Vancouver 27
Vancouver 25
Flicka 20
Cape Dory 25D
Nor'Sea 27
Pacific Seacraft 25

There are others, those are just off the top of my head.
christian.hess likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Shinook For This Useful Post:
aaronsailor (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

interrior layout is the last thing on my mind when picking a potentially offshore cruiser...I mean there is ballast to displacement ratio up there....keel design...displacement...sail configuration, tiller or wheel...rudder design...ETC!

like others have said you can redesign an interior especially non structuarl bulkheads but id simply rather fix up a POTENTIAL cruiser already than make a j30 the ultimate cruiser when it will never be

as to the p28 over the triton for a cruiser dont know what brewer was smoking but some late model pearsons are thin as heck with very fragile rudders or exposed rudders is a better term

Im a traditionalist but there are benefits to old school keel designs and boats
number one is you can careen and potentially fix a gouged hole if you find a nice bank to lean on..
this is almost impossible with most fin and spade or fin and skeg combos

and lastly there has never been a report of a full keel design boat with barndoor rudder having catastrophic keel failures like you sometimes do with new design racers and stuff

anywhoo

opinions we all have them...

my current boat is a skeg and fin keel...and yes I do think about the keel 99 percent more then when I had my h28 or folkboat...jajaja

peace
The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
aaronsailor (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013

D-Cubed is on a distinguished road
Albin Vega or Pearson Triton 28?

I am just wondering why people are suggesting the Alberg 30 over the vega. Is it just interior space. I am assuming the vega is a faster boat
Old 11-10-2013
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

the alberg is just a nice design and well built it will have marginally more space than the vega

the alberg 30 is almost the exact same space as a triton...
Old 11-10-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
as to the p28 over the triton for a cruiser dont know what brewer was smoking but some late model pearsons are thin as heck with very fragile rudders or exposed rudders is a better term

Im a traditionalist but there are benefits to old school keel designs and boats
number one is you can careen and potentially fix a gouged hole if you find a nice bank to lean on..
this is almost impossible with most fin and spade or fin and skeg combos

and lastly there has never been a report of a full keel design boat with barndoor rudder having catastrophic keel failures like you sometimes do with new design racers and stuff

anywhoo

opinions we all have them...

peace
The next line in the referenced quote goes: "The keel-stepped mast rig is sturdy and well stayed. The beefy rudder is grudgeon-hung and protected by a partial skeg."

So, do we value the opinion of a celebrated nautical engineer or someone like me spouting off on sailnet?
When Ted Brewer gave this assessment he had no financial or legacy interests at stake. He had completed a life time of work designing, building and sailing boats and does not deserve to be dismissed with the allegation he was smoking dope.
I think it is important to proof read and edit what we write so that we clearly and honestly communicate our ideas.
John
christian.hess likes this.
Old 11-10-2013

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road

I don't understand this I mean i don't get the animosity on sail net. I was away for a year and this is why, i just don't understand the whole righteousness bs some cruisers have. I mean people get so heated about these things and its almost like preaching here. I mean it doesn't matter like people come here because they like to cruise they come here because they want to know stuff to make that possibility happen for them. We shouldn't be attacking each other over opinions we should say well i think this would work and heres why and then let the person decide for themselves without this righteousness and this animosity. I mean as a cruiser you have the luxury no matter how poor you are of being able to truly experience the beauty of nature, of seeing totally undiscovered pristine lands of experiencing life in its most pure form, and yet we choose to bicker sitting behind a hunk of silicon and plastic. it's really sad, when theres so much beauty in cruising the way we act and this isn't singling either of you out its not your fault its just something to think about. This shouldn't be a war it should be a collaborative community where people help each other.
Old 11-10-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

To the OP Just a quick FYI on boat construction and design. Neither of these boats are built stronger or better than a 70's Ericson 27. Neither the Vega or the Triton have full keels , just because a keel has the rudder attached does not make it a full keel, just less sea kindly. A $4,000 Ericson 27 will out perform either listed boat 95% of the time for less money and a more comfortable platform. I love all three of the boats but wouldn't consider any of the three for long distance blue water voyaging, they are all too uncomfortable to weather. Just my 2 cents
Old 11-11-2013

casioqv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
What ever you do DO NOT watch this video
Great video! I thought they were joking in the beginning when they said a de-masted derelict was their best bet for low cost cruising.

Last edited by casioqv; 11-11-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-11-2013

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Neither the Vega or the Triton have full keels , just because a keel has the rudder attached does not make it a full keel, just less sea kindly.
this is not the first time I have heard someone say the Alberg 30(pearson triton) did not have a full keel. I have read that it is a full keel with a cutaway forefoot to help in tacking. And how the attached rudder makes these boat less sea kindly? I have also read the narrow beam of triton, vega and alberg assisted in sea kindliness...again exact opposite of your views. Please explain as I know nothing of boat design?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 11-11-2013

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road

A full keel is a boat which has a keel which is as long as 50 percent or more of the LOA. The albin vega has a fin keel with an attached rudder, my keel is longer than the albin vega's but i have a seperated rudder, both are fin keels long fins but still fins the difference being the fact that the rudder on my boat is on a full skeg as opposed to attacked to the keel. The triton and alberg 30 are close to 50 percent of the loa in keel length, if they are over 50 they are barely full keels. They don't just have a cutaway forefoot their keels also terminate much before the stern of the boat. Ericson 27's have made offshore passages as well and are pretty decently constructed boats, I would prefer a contessa and an albin vega over one though. The triton and alberg's wine glass hull sections do contribute to upwind sea kindliness so i dont quite understand that, but downwind any cca era boat is awful to control. The comment about the rudder likely has to do with the fact that attached rudders that are forward of the transom tend to be less effective, look at it from a simple physics point of view where is the rudder going to have the most mechanical advantage closer to the fulcrum or further away. Obviously it takes less force to turn the boat when the force is acting at a greater distance from the centerline. With a vega, you can glass the existing rudder into the keel as an extension of the keel and then ad a transom mounted rudder, which makes the vega not as bad in this regard.
Jeff_H, W3ODF and christian.hess like this.

Tags
caribbean , cruiser , icw , pearson , vega