Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2013

aaronsailor is on a distinguished road
Post Albin Vega or Pearson Triton 28?

I want to take a trip in a couple years down the ICW and the Caribbean to Trinidad and Tobago. I will have two sailors accompany me on this journey. I know a lot about the Albin Vega, but have heard many people sing the praises of Pearson Triton 28. I can obtain both for about the same $$ so value isn't of concern.
Does anyone have experience with both boats? Or insight on the pros and cons of either?
I am also open to suggestions for other boats. Nothing over 32' Thanks!
christian.hess likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Re: Albin Vega or Pearson Triton 28?

Three on a boat that size and that far is not for me. That said, I would add the Alberg 30 to your list. Similar to the Triton and bit bigger. The Alberg 35 would be a better choice, but you said not over 32 feet. These are all old boats so a careful survey is essential to be sure they are up to the trip.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 11-08-2013

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road

I second an alberg 35. There available for around 15,000 not much more than an alberg 30. If you were doing serious blue water I would suggest an allied seawind but for Caribbean, it would just be a super slow difficult to maneuver boat. I would personally prefer a vega, i like the hull shape more than i like the triton, An alberg 30 would be a great choice too or any of the cape dory's a bristol 29.9, 30,32 or 27. A cal 30 would be nice too. And my own boat a contest 30 might make a good Caribbean cruiser too or a hughes 31. There are a lot of boats that you can cruise the Caribbean in. I had a dock mate who cruised the Caribbean with 4 people in a grampian 26.
Old 11-08-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Once you're in the Eastern Caribbean just about any well found boat will do... easy daysails between islands, mostly reaching.

Getting there from Florida is the kicker.. pretty much 1000 nm to weather can be quite the bash. That's where you need a boat with toughness, for the so-called 'thorny path'. But certainly there are plenty of 'tough old boats' to choose from. Whichever, it's going to be about survey, upgrades/refits, and tough enough (compatible) crew as well...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-08-2013
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

BOTH ARE EXCELLENT! get the best deal you can find...

the albin vegas sell for about 50% more than what a decent triton goes for at least when I was looking.

My dream boat when I was younger was always the pearson triton...west coast as it was a bit stouter, "full keel" and all, this even after having one of the best small wooden boats ever a herreshoff h28 and after that a marieholm folkboat...

the folkboat was perfect for a singlehander or a young couple...the triton is a beast both in size and interrior space compared to the folkboat

shy away from bigger is always better mentality and more towards money in your pocket for cruising and your family ideals instead.

Id rather have a completely outfitted and rebuilt 26 foot boat versus a big 35 footer that I cant afford to replace parts on...like winches and or rigging...even anchors get ridiculous after a certain size.

the albin vega is a wonderful boat too...I was on one in costa rica where I anchored my h28 right next to it in 2001 or so... a couple of surfing guys where cruising here big time! very bare bones style but it felt like it had more space than my h28 obviouly it had better headroom...and it was glass! no leaks! jajaja

they are also nicely built and strong...they do well in heavy weather as does the triton...

if you do decide to buy another boat because you are indeed too cramped after looking at some and maybe test sailing... then the alberg 30 is a might fine choice with a PEDIGREE...

cheers

ps. if you want sweet lines and want to stay with the same "class" of boat and under 32 the pearson vanguard although slow and doesnt do that well to weather is a beatiful boat for a cruising couple...its also well built just needs some attention in some areas but all boats do.
Old 11-08-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Tritons have crossed oceans. Vegas have rounded continents and I think the world?

I'd think the Triton, with a little more heft and room, may be the more comfortable boat for coastal sailing, and Vega for the way offshore stuff?

On either one, they'll have some age. Count on replacing the standing rigging, it corrodes inside the turnbucle fittings where you can't see.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 11-08-2013
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

tritons have done extensive circumnavgiations...james baldwins site is a must for anyone interested in a triton...his mods are some of the best ever for a small cruising boat

the vegas have done so too...both are safe offshore boats when modded appropriately...no doubts about that...
Old 11-08-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Both good choices. As others have said, the condition of old boats is the first thing to consider. You can spend a whole lot of money getting one ready to go offshore. Check #1: Condition of the deck core. If it's rotten (as many are) go no farther. #2: Condition of engine. It should have a replacement diesel. #3: Condition of the rigging and sails. Fixing just those three items could cost you 20-30 grand. There are lots of project boats out there which can be good deals IF you're into projects.

3 people and offshore supplies on a 30' boat is an iffy situation.
Old 11-08-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

All the chatter about 30 feet not being enough room for three people makes me laugh.

You guys all need a Sequitor to cruise on?

3 young bucks who aren't married to a ridiculous amount of material possessions would get along just fine, on a Triton. The OP is motoring down the ICW and bouncing around the Carribean, for cryin' out loud.

They can stop daily to stretch their legs on the ICW, and all I ever hear about the Carribean is how you can hop from island to island in a day. They're not doing a circumnavigation.

I understand that a Triton or a Vega is sub-optimal for a liveaboard, retired couple in their 50's or 60's, but I don't get that vibe from the OP.
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Last edited by BubbleheadMd; 11-08-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2013

aaronsailor is on a distinguished road

Based on the replies so far, I gather that I'm not "insane" for attempting this in a Vega. I really want to go with the smallest boat I can be comfortable in. Thank you for the input, I will check out some of the other boats mentioned as well.

Tags
caribbean , cruiser , icw , pearson , vega