SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Anything like Borresen BB10 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/105434-anything-like-borresen-bb10.html)

matmille 11-08-2013 08:28 PM

Anything like Borresen BB10

Hello I am new to this forum and have sailed for a few years and am now looking into getting a more seaworthy boat anyone know of any makes similar to a borresen bb10 i have looked around and they are incredibly rare and very expensive I love the lines on that boat wouldn't mind sacrificing some room in the interior thanks any help is appreciated

CalebD 11-08-2013 10:08 PM

Re: Anything like Borresen BB10

Some info on the builder. Good news is they are still in business but better if you happen to live in denmark.
I believe the Borreson Soling 27' is raced nearly world wide.

Sailboats built by Brresen Bdebyggeri by year on Sailboatdata.com

The description of the BB 10 says there were only 150 of them built which might help explain the high prices.
BB-10 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Looks like a pretty fast boat to me, and nice.

Jaramaz 11-09-2013 02:16 AM

This type of boat (long and narrow) is quite popular in Scandinavia. There are plenty of similar boats, to very affordable prices.

Some known similar danish designs are
Aphrodite 101 / Bianca 101 / Elvström 101 (same design)
Ylva
Molich X
(not an exhaustive list)
These all stems from the 70/80-ties, more modern examples are eg the
Luffe(s), Faurby, ...

These kind of boats are even more popular in Sweden, where there are many different designs. Known from the same period are the Swede 30 (S-30), Swede 55, ad later on Swede 40 / 45. Also Wasa had a series 30 -- 55.

Peter Norlin designed some in a similar way, as the Avance 33 / 36, Omega 42 (OK, we are getting bigger).

There is also, from the same time, the Cayenne 42 and the corrsponding Carrera Helmsman. The more usual Helmsmans are Lady and Senorita (both similar to the BB10) ... list is long.

Many of these had their popuarity peak 30 years ago, prices are low today.
OK it is far from the US! Some of these can probably be found also in the US, otherwise there is always the possibility in buying in Scandinavia and get it transported to the US.

/J

Morild 11-09-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaramaz (Post 1116843)
This type of boat (long and narrow) is quite popular in Scandinavia. There are plenty of similar boats, to very affordable prices.

/J

While this is true, most people around here still see the BB 10 as the most beautiful of them all. It is a fantastic sailboat and amazing to look at.
Just kind of perfect. (For sailing.. not much room in there :-) )

The Dane

Morild 11-09-2013 03:29 AM

I just found out that they still build them!
Price around 100,000 USD
There are 6 used on the market in DK right now in the range from 30,000 to 60,000 USD

Jaramaz 11-09-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

While this is true, most people around here still see the BB 10 as the most beautiful of them all. It is a fantastic sailboat and amazing to look at.
Just kind of perfect. (For sailing.. not much room in there :-) )
I do not dispute the fact that BB10 is beautiful, and Börresen certainly beeing a quality boat builder. But many others are beautiful as well. Personally, I think the Molich X is nice.

OP asked for similar boats.

/J

Faster 11-09-2013 12:04 PM

Check out the Canadian built "Abbot" boats, in particular the 33 and 36 in the link below:

Sailboats built by Abbott Boats Inc. by year on Sailboatdata.com

.. not quite as 'sexy', the venerable Contessa 32

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1414

These are not daysailers, the Abbots are somewhat atypical cruiser/racers of the time, (narrow beam, frac rigs) and the Contessa is a serious cruising boat with a strong reputation.

ggray 11-11-2013 11:55 PM

Wow!
Brings back memories!

We had BB10 US1, bought in 1981. She was from Denmark and from what the moulds were made to produce them in Florida. Previously brought from Denmark was DK 50.

Went to weather like crazy! 70* or less between tacks. Other boats swore we were sailing straight into the wind. I was spoiled forever.

She needed little wind to sail, but did get wet when it blew.

Once in a good breeze, a Hobie 16 couldn't overtake us, so turned away.

Classic30 11-12-2013 05:20 PM

They certainly are fast boats.

There's a BB10 for sale at my club here (a least I think it's still for sale.. it's been sitting there for 2-3 years now). The owner is our club captain who decided one day to buy a brand-new Archambault A31 to try to stay ahead of the Adams 10's in our club racing series.

It's in pristine racing condition and stored on the hard under a full cover. He certainly wasn't asking anything like $100k for it, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it - other than it's not as fast as a new A31.. or a first-rate Adams 10. PM me if you'd like the details.