Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2013
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
Spoiler alert: "All is Lost"

My wife and I had heard about the great reviews of this movie so went to see it last night and although you could feel his emotional turmoil throughout the movie and his personal demons, he made some very critical errors early on that could have prevented, or at least diminished, the end result......stupid, stupid, stupid. I really wanted to knock him in the head myself, but the mast beat me to it!

Looks like the boat used in the movie is an older Cal 39.
Tartan 37-C, #59
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Spoiler alert: "All is Lost"

Ones my admiral and I picked up
did not use jacklines-
saw storm coming but waited until fully developed before rigging storm jib.
did not have safety water set up before leaving land
no EPIRB, spot or anything.
no SSB nor handheld VHF
No ditch bag
Didn't have raft up on deck as conditions worsened.
was drifting north and wanted to drift north but still left sea anchor in water when in raft
Left companionway open instead of closing it immediately upon exit
had dodger but not set up

Things that were not believable
where he was holed- if hit aft to amidships ?how did it happen. Wakes to water coming in. ?prior storm and fell off wave. Don't understand scenario
Knock down and roll- did not seem it was in slow motion but he had opportunity to prevent harm by changing his position. Would expect much more sudden motion with him and things flying around.
Absence of even his hair blowing and him being jerked around by sea state in the storms
Absence of wind noise.
When he falls off boat and is clipped he can pull himself back on. Freeboard would make that extremely hard
When he falls off boat he is able to swim back to it. Boat would be moving forward. He would never be able to catch up.
At end he sinks down. This would only occur if his lungs were empty of air. Then he would be dead and not able to swim back up.

Still, I gave them poetic license (same as when watching a medical TV show) and totally enjoyed the movie.
Old 11-09-2013
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road

The amazing thing was that he hit the container hard enough to hole the boat but he only awakened by the sloshing of water and not the impact??? Must have hit that rum bottle too hard!

One thing that was a total loss of judgement was not getting the water out of the boat before pulling off the container and getting the engine going, if possible
Tartan 37-C, #59
Old 11-09-2013

twenty1knots is on a distinguished road

Sorry but the movie was b-o-o-o-ring despite the excellent acting.
All was lost were my expectations of a masterpiece about sailing.
1974 Pearson 30 hull#694
Old 11-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We finally saw it last night. It played at a local independent film theater, the big multi-plex is not showing it.

I really wanted to like it, but thought it was so-so. Clearly, it's a story of human survival, not sailing and I knew that going in. Redford does a good job communicating without any words. I guess that turns on the movie-nerds. It was good acting, but didn't necessarily make the movie. There are many times where life or death choices had to be made, such as exiting the liferaft to right it. An all in, one shot deal. We all know that you could never ever pull yourself back aboard, if you were over the rail being dragged by your tether, but I'll give them license that it makes for drama.

While I'm completely good with some factual errors and others that are necessary license to film a movie, it was so filled with errors and inconsistency, one must assume there wasn't a single offshore sailor in the state it was filmed within.

For example, I'm fine with no dodger. Some don't use them anyway, but I'm sure it was left down so that movie angles could be better shot. All okay there. It starts getting odd out of the gate, however. The seas are totally calm and wind seems light, but he hits a container on the beam?

What makes him even think to climb the mast in the first place? Oh well, I guess getting some shots like that was good video. They he screws on the round antenna plug, but pulls out an adjustable crescent wrench to tighten it?

Seeing the incoming storm was not reason to deploy a storm jib before being tossed about?

The sea anchor is deployed off the stern? I guess they didn't want to film from the bow?

Who makes an SOS call? Did anyone else notice that he either never pressed the PTT button or never released it.

I have a conspiracy theory about the fact that he apparently had no Epirb. For anyone that might otherwise not be able to get their significant other to sail with them again, they allowed the stupid simply reply that he would have clearly been rescued, especially by either of the two passing cargo ships, if he had one. How about even just a simple ditch bag with a waterproof gps/vhf? No, Honey, that could never ever happen to us.

I give the movie a generous B- overall. It's not set up very well and I think even non-sailors are going to say, that couldn't happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-09-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Evidently, the Screen Writer didn't know diddly boop about sailing but, for 99% of the audience, that doesn't matter. For Redford, I suspect this may have been a nautical reprise of his '72 roll in Jeremiah Johnson with the sea fulfilling the role of the Indians. And, again, he didn't have to bother memorizing dialog, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 11-09-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Finally saw the movie with the Admiral.

It just out and out sucked! I actually nodded off at one point.

Let me say that again; IT WAS AWFUL,, waste of money.

Robert Redford was awful. How did someone with mental issues make it all the way to the Indian Ocean without going thru bad weather!
Taking on water but don't turn on the bilge pump?
No jacklines?
Willing to curl up into a ball every time something bad happens?
Sea anchor off the stern?
Set the storm sail after the storm hits?
No back up VHF or GPS?

Many more.

As a movie it wasn't even that good. Redford's acting was awful. The reviews had said that he put in a stellar performance. Wow! He can retire now. I had read that the Pardey's had consulted on this film; what part?

Should have seen gravity instead; i'm sure Sandra Bullock was at least entertaining.
Old 11-09-2013

Loki9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
For example, I'm fine with no dodger. Some don't use them anyway, but I'm sure it was left down so that movie angles could be better shot. All okay there. It starts getting odd out of the gate, however. The seas are totally calm and wind seems light, but he hits a container on the beam?
Same reasons as no dodger, Hollywood. The container had to hole the boat where it did to ruin his radio and other electronics, else the story gets too complicated.

Quote:
The sea anchor is deployed off the stern? I guess they didn't want to film from the bow?
It's a drogue when deployed from the stern, it's meant to keep the boat stern to the wind, a common technique in big seas.

No excuses for the other stuff (no EPIRB, no hh VHF, etc.)
Old 11-09-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

You guys are a really tough audience.

He tried his bilge pump it didn't work as the batteries were covered with water.

That trick of rolling with the boat and ending up in the cockpit has happened to at least one person I read about in real life.

The idea that he was sinking after going in the water is what happened to our own Doug S. So apparently it can happen. Something about swallowing a lot of salt water. Don't understand it but like I said it happened to someone I met.

Stern drogue as someone else has mentioned is a technique some time used.

I think the life lesson the purpose of the show was to demonstrate someone who just keep plugging away. One step at a time and didn't give up.

Lots of people have been caught with too much sail up and not enough time to douse it before the wind hits.

Yes he was more that a little bit short on modern equipment. Maybe it was supposed to have happened in 1960, did they give a year?

The bit about hauling himself back up with his tether shows how tough he was.
I was sailing a 22 O'day from Naples to Marathon key back in '85. I was on the fore deck doing something with the hank-on jib. The boat lurched I lost my footing and next thing I know I was hanging with my feet in the water with one hand on the bow pulpit.

It became very clear to me that my new bride was probably not going to be much help as she was completely occupied screaming. I hung on long enough to get my second had on the rail. I could not pull myself up at first. I noticed that since the bow was plunging up and down several feet that on the down stroke I got a little help from the waves. So at just the right time I gave a mighty heave and landed on the deck. I was a little tired and scratched up but made it so I suspect Redfords pull your self up by the tether is technically possible but I doubt I could do it now.
The parkour guys or the rock climbing guys could do it easily.
patrscoe likes this.

Last edited by davidpm; 11-09-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2013

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

I wish they show these movies around here

ps.
to the comments about the dodger(I have not seen the boat or movie) standard practice in hurricane force winds is to eliminate as much windage as possible from decks...as more than likely they will be ripped off and could cause more damage and personal injury too...

there are boats with integral dodgers that can be released very quickly and tied down flat, my old folkboat had this design...

just my 2c

cheers