Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
i found a better boat

on craigslist, here in Baltimore, I found another boat, one that I can actually hope to get fixed up. I will start with the boat's story.

it's a 1971 cal 27. it was owned by an old guy who lived aboard. a few years ago, the marina changed hands and the new owners, who cleaned the marina up, decided on no live aboards. so, the guy moved out and just stopped paying for his slip. it sat on the water for a few years. they had tried to get it off the lean dock, pricing it at $2800. it didn't sell. so, they advertised it for $500.

after looking at it, I asked if they'd take less. the guy immediately said they'd take $300. he really doesn't want to just scrap it out. if I bought it, i'd be able to keep it there and work on it. $180 a month. then, when ready, I could have it hauled at the marina next door ( I went and asked them ) for a week. that would cost $270; hauled and launched.

now, the boat:

it needs some work. the interior needs the most. the interior paint needs scraped and redone. it needs cushions. it's not overly dirty, inside, but a bit of clean up will need done. there are barnacles under the water, to scrape, but no where else. the boat has never been under water and it doesn't leak. the bilge is bone dry. the main hatch needs replaced. one safety rail needs replaced. a little cabinetry needs done, inside. the head is missing but the old guy, who showed me the boat, said he had one in the shop he'd give me.

the mast and all the standing rigging is good. the deck is solid as a rock. I purposely walked over every bit of it and checked it out from below. one port light is broken. looks like a thrown rock is the culprit. the bottom paint needs redone. all of the rest of the paint is fine. the hull paint is a little oxidized but a bit of buffing should polish that gel coat right back up.

no motor. but I am going to look at an electric outboard with 55 lbs of thrust, tomorrow. the guy wants $100 obo.

the tiller is weather worn but solid. i'd make a new one just for cosmetic sake.

wen doing the cabinetry work, I would need to make a new set of access way steps. the originals are missing.

hmmm that's about it. the cabin isn't standing head room. it's a bit shy of that but it does have a pop top, although the supports for that seem to be missing.

it has a main, jib, and spinnaker. they do have the spinnaker pole, too. he also has a bunch of other random sails they have stored in the shop that were from other boats that got abandoned. they will give them to me. so, I could take the entire lot of sails to a nearby sail maker and try to make a deal on a better main, working jib, and jenny. I am thinking it might be good to invest in roller furling so, maybe I wouldn't need an actual working jib, just a newer jenny.

now, just to clarify, the sails it has are fine. obviously older but not bad. I am just thinking that I could trade them all for a better main and jib. not too worried about a spinnaker. I was thinking of adding another stay to the front and having a second jib, for light airs. then i'd want a main, jenny, and a working jib. but it's just a thought, at this point.

all together, this boat's worst issue is the barnacles below the water. all else is cosmetic. so, here are the pics, what do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
i found a better boat-00p0p_ktkmmhtpqfb_600x450.jpg   i found a better boat-00k0k_5fqics4q1ut_600x450.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road
Re: i found a better boat

Well, it's floating and dry that's a nice start. I would scrap the electric motor idea and just buy a long shaft outboard when the boat is complete, maybe a 9.9 hp, at the very end.

In most cases if restoring a boat, motorcycle or car it take 3x's as much money as one thinks (I'm an expert with that latter two). I would have a very specific game plan of what you need to do and price it all out.

Just price out lines and winches and you'll be shocked never mind hiring someone for the interior cushions, etc...
jimgo likes this.
Old 11-09-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

CAL 27 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Take a deep breath. Lot's of long range plans there to fix up that boat.
The boat doesn't seem to be in that bad shape if it is dry. Barnacles on the bottom are the least of your worries. The lack of an engine would be the first thing to do on my list.

You are going to have plenty to fix up if you take this boat. Cal's have a pretty good reputation so you might end up with a decent boat after a bunch of work and money.

Good luck with all your plans.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Nothing a few grand wouldn't get sailing safely again, I suppose. How's the standing rigging, did you climb and inspect it all? I don't see a boom in those pics.

I still think I would spend the few grand on a boat that didn't need work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-09-2013

mac 2-22 is on a distinguished road

How much does boat weigh? how far do you want to travel with electric motor i had a 55# trust on 1800# boat worked fine in 15knots or less short distance
Old 11-09-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Sounds a lot better than the last one you posted about. Is she sailable *right now*, barnacles & all, to get a feel for her? From your description, excepting the hatch & port, it is all cosmetics you can nibble away at leisure. If that's so, she could be the one. Good luck!
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 11-09-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Agree the electric motor idea may not prove practical.. and may let you down when you need it most. Also, forget about adding stays/sails, etc until you've had the boat in sailing condition for a season or two.. by that time you'll no what's really necessary and what doesn't make sense after all.

Decent bones, by the look of it, steps above your plan A....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-09-2013

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

Whatever you do, get the interior done first. Cals are GOBs and should serve you well.
MichaelAngel442 likes this.
Old 11-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Well, it's floating and dry that's a nice start. I would scrap the electric motor idea and just buy a long shaft outboard when the boat is complete, maybe a 9.9 hp, at the very end.

In most cases if restoring a boat, motorcycle or car it take 3x's as much money as one thinks (I'm an expert with that latter two). I would have a very specific game plan of what you need to do and price it all out.

Just price out lines and winches and you'll be shocked never mind hiring someone for the interior cushions, etc...
well, it costs if you actually buy stuff and pay other people to fabricate for you. I built my chopper for less than 5 grand. it's totally radical. got published in the paper for it. but I fabricated 85% of all the parts from raw materials, including the seat, and I modified another 10% from stock pars of various bikes.

I don't need to hire anyone to do any of the work except haul it out of the water. the winches ad all the pricey hardware that make a boat sail are there. and, I do have extra hardware rom that other boat.

not sure about a gas powered motor. I am not a fan of motors, anyway, and I really dislike the loud, stinky gas motors. I really only want a motor in case of an emergency. I have never even used a boat motor. my grand father took one with us on the river, in case of emergency, but we never used it all my years growing up. I bartered away the motor, that came with my holiday 20, 17 years ago. I keep oars in the cuddy, in case I get becalmed. but, I will take your suggestion into my considerations. I want a motor as a safety net, so I want to make the best choice possible. the bay is pretty big. I doubt I will ever sail this boat in the ocean, but you never know.
Old 11-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Sounds a lot better than the last one you posted about. Is she sailable *right now*, barnacles & all, to get a feel for her? From your description, excepting the hatch & port, it is all cosmetics you can nibble away at leisure. If that's so, she could be the one. Good luck!
to answer a few questions at once, the listed displacement is 5400 lbs. I don't intend to actually use the motor. it's just for emergency. plus, I was thinking the motor would work for my holiday, 1000 lbs displacement, as well. I will sail that one as I fix this one.

he has the boom and the spinnaker pole. I could sail her now, as is. everything that is needed to sail is there.