Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road
Re: Coast Guard Documented

Quote:
Originally Posted by weephee View Post
Boatpoker, The owner says he has the documentation you are talking about. Do I get a bill of sale and the documentation with his signature and take that somewhere to get the de-listing letter. Is this done at US customs at a border crossing??
Here are the instructions for de-listing:

http://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/instr/inst%20deletion.pdf

The first thing I would do if I were you would be to call the NVDC, explain your situation and ask them what you need to do. I've called them several times and they have been very helpful. And I haven't even had to wait on hold for very long

NVDC contact info including phone:

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center - POC Page
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
The boat I boat a year ago was documented with the USCG. I received a USCG bill of sale from the broker. This is the form:

http://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/forms/cg1340.pdf

The Coast Guard doesn't fill it out, they provide the form and the seller (or in my case the broker) fills it out. I believe you need this if the vessel is USCG documented and there is no state registration.
That is an online form that you may download and use if you wish
Old 11-09-2013

weephee is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I have read all the pertinent information I think and I guess the first thing I need to do is find out if there is a lien or mortgage on the boat That is called the Abstract of Title and the fee is $15. Then if that's OK I get the owner to fill out form 1340 which is the Bill of Sale and the owner mails it with the original coast guard document to the National Vessel Documentation Center in West Virginia. Then it is delisted and either I or the owner gets something that tells me I am now the current owner. Anyways, I will call Monday morning and hopefully all will go well. Why do owners register there pleasure boats when it isn't necessary. Change of address and change of port and change of ownership all involve fees and paper work.
Old 11-09-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why do owners register there pleasure boats when it isn't necessary. Change of address and change of port and change of ownership all involve fees and paper work.
there are some slight differences in the US but in Canada registration is proof of ownership while a license is not. If you cruise Canadian and US waters the license is fine but if you head into the Caribbean with a licensed boat it can be very difficult as most other countries do not recognized a "license".

You can also get "marine mortage" on a registered vessel but not on a licensed vessel (in Canada).
Old 11-09-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I have read all the pertinent information I think and I guess the first thing I need to do is find out if there is a lien or mortgage on the boat That is called the Abstract of Title and the fee is $15. Then if that's OK I get the owner to fill out form 1340 which is the Bill of Sale and the owner mails it with the original coast guard document to the National Vessel Documentation Center in West Virginia. Then it is delisted and either I or the owner gets something that tells me I am now the current owner. Anyways, I will call Monday morning and hopefully all will go well. Why do owners register there pleasure boats when it isn't necessary. Change of address and change of port and change of ownership all involve fees and paper work.
As boatpoker said, if you travel to another country you probably need the documentation. Also, some states don't require state registration of documented vessels, so it saves you the hassle of renewing your state registration every year.