Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2013

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road
Re: Living in Florida

St. Petersburg and vicinity are wonderful areas with good access to sheltered water and reasonable access to the Gulf. Another great area is the Stuart, Port St. Lucie, Hobe sound area. Low crime in both areas, decent price on good dock space, and access to large cities with anything you might want to buy/see/do.

I would avoid Ft. Lauderdale as it is very expensive and the social climate is a little hard for a boy from flyover country like me to take; everyone seems to be on the make if you understand my meaning.

My personal all time favorite is the middle keys but its a bit far afield, Marathon probably has the best prices for slips, etc...
imasaluki likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to seafrontiersman For This Useful Post:
imasaluki (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013

imasaluki is on a distinguished road

Superb info kedujo and joebeach!
Old 11-10-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

It's hard after living in the Key's to live anywhere else in Fla. It depends on what you do for work. You can get a house on a canal on some of the smaller lesser known key's, like Big Coppit, and work in Key West. You may have to switch to a service industry job, but a good work ethic goes a long long way down here, as a lot of people suffer from keys disease. A lot of people live in Key Largo and commute to Miami as well. You may be surprised how cold Fla. is in the winter as far north as Tampa. It's certainly mild, but cold by my standards. Ft. Meyers and Cape Coral are ok, but buggy in the suburbs. We have the bugs under control in Key West. Coconut Grove is nice, south Miami is pretty good, near Black Point Marina is a decent area. Hollywood is a great little town as well. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-10-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

The southwest coast of Florida, from Clearwater south to Englewood and particularly the Sarasota/Lakewood Ranch area is a rapidly emerging High-Tec, Medical Science and Higher Education center, not unlike the Silicon Valley was in the mid-1970's. There is good, convenient, shipping via the Port of Tampa/Port Manatee, an educated and willing labor pool, affordable housing, decent schools, reasonable regulation and low taxes that have made the area very desirable to businesses abandoning the tax and spend states such as New York, Michigan and California. (It is not a matter of "if" we can get them to move here so much as ensuring we have the facilities they need ready "when" they come.) It seems business relocations are announced daily.

The Sarasota/St. Petersburg areas also offer rich cultural opportunities with fine museums, theater, symphony and ballet and similar attractions. Recreational amenities are too numerous to described and the sailing is great, virtually year round. Moreover, the area is relatively safe from major storms due to the topography of the land and off-laying sea bed and the vagaries of the Gulf Stream which seem to direct storm tracks away to the northwest or northeast (although nothing is guaranteed). Despite Nay-Sayers, save for the east coast from about Deerfield Beach through south Miami, there are few "strip malls" although shopping malls do tend to cluster at major freeway intersections hence are visible from the highway from time to time (although one can drive for hours at a time through woodlands.) One also finds that the temperament of the people on the west coast is much more personable and amenable then is so on the east. I believe that’s because folks here-about are largely from the mid-west/west while the east coast is largely populated by ex-New Yorkers and others from the northeast that have brought their aggressive habits and dispositions with them.

While living "on the water" sounds great, we decided to live inland (15-20 minutes from the boat) because of the more rural setting, somewhat less costly land/housing, and to be more remote from areas subject to surge/flooding in the even a storm does come ashore. As mentioned previously, the terrain is “flat” such that surge can make its way inland, up bays, estuaries, creeks and rivers, quite far so one does need be aware of the flood plains, particularly now that flood insurance is being priced more according to risk (some areas along the coast have become completely unaffordable for many due to the need for flood insurance and its relative costs). While moving here from California was somewhat of a shock, simply because of the terrain, once having arrived we’d never go back. We were able to re-create our house here, all up, for only 20% of its cost in California while our land—when we bought it—was twice as large and only 10% of the cost of our land in California. (And obtaining zoning approval and a building permit took only 3 weeks verses 3-5 years!)

My two cents worth…
davidpm, ShoalFinder and imasaluki like this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
The Following User Says Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
imasaluki (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

We've vacationed on Anna Maria Island a few times, which is nice, but even then a week in Florida is about my max. The larger communities which I have experienced, Tampa, Orlando, West Palm, are definetely not my thing. Too many people, traffic, crime, people, old people.... Yuck.
Old 11-10-2013

imasaluki is on a distinguished road

caberg, I would agree with you on Orlando. I could never live there.
Old 11-10-2013

algee is on a distinguished road

You might want to take a look at the Charlotte Harbor area, and the towns of Punta Gorda , Port Charlotte and Englewood. Lots of waterfront property , great boating and sailing, and prices are reasonable
kwaltersmi and imasaluki like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to algee For This Useful Post:
imasaluki (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

+1 for Coconut Grove. That area has real flavor and character and its right in Miami. +1 for the Keys too....
Old 11-10-2013

cdy is on a distinguished road

Jacksonville has very nice sailing on the St Johns River and offshore - prices will be a bit lower thanTampa area unless you want waterfront - lots of marinas - good sailing club that is very reasonable - Rudder Club of jacksonville - a bit cooler in the winter.

The Grove and the keys - yes very nice but better have deep pockets.

Last edited by cdy; 11-10-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

I love the west coat of Florida, less expensive, less crowded and seems to be tad safer from the dreaded hurricane that is only a season away.

I plan to relocate there and live aboard in the next 5 years. I don't mind sleepy and quiet, actually looking forward to it.

Tags
boating communities , boating community , canal home , moving to florida