Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013

imasaluki is on a distinguished road
Re: Living in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I have only set foot in the very top of the state, so I really can't comment about any of it.

But to the OP what is more appealing about FL than anywhere else on the gulf? I want to get the heck out of the PNW's winters, but from my ivory tower is seems like TX to FL all has some good and bad features, but in general it's flat and buggy in FL, right?

Does FL offer a lot more actual 'cruising' and anchorages than other places?
Everybody keeps going on about the bugs... is this something that's really that awful? I've dealt with bugs all of my life. Haha. I mean, I kind of get it, because of the climate they're probably very abundant and never have an "off season". Flat does not bother me.

I would really only consider relocating to TX or FL. My wife will only do FL. Yes, it does seem like cruising would be more abundant in FL. It's a good stepping off point to other destinations as well. There seems to be more of a cultural mix or churn in FL than say MS or AL. Also, no state income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by imasaluki View Post
Everybody keeps going on about the bugs... is this something that's really that awful? I've dealt with bugs all of my life. Haha. I mean, I kind of get it, because of the climate they're probably very abundant and never have an "off season". Flat does not bother me.

I would really only consider relocating to TX or FL. My wife will only do FL. Yes, it does seem like cruising would be more abundant in FL. It's a good stepping off point to other destinations as well. There seems to be more of a cultural mix or churn in FL than say MS or AL. Also, no state income tax.
Being a native Texan who now lives in Florida and who also uses various port in Texas work I can tell you that the Texas coast, as the whole US Gulf Coast until you get to about Tampa is VERY "redneck" with NASCAR and rasslin' more popular than sailing.....or reading books. Those good people often are downright hostile to sailors because they think of you as "rich Yankees" I suppose. Florida is the way to go IMHO!
xymotic likes this.
Old 11-11-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I lived in south Florida, and my brother still lives in central Florida (Leesburg).

I wouldn't go south of Orlando.

My favorite part of Florida, has always been the panhandle. But, you don't get the super nice winters there, like you do farther south.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 11-11-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalFinder View Post
.......The one thing we can all agree on, it is that if there's a Hell on Earth- it is Orlando.
Orlando is not my choice because it's not on the coast and only provides for boating in lakes; however, I would disagree with the "Hell on Earth" description. Huge numbers of tourists tavel the routes between the theme parks and the hotels and rental condos. There's a huge scar of tacky tinsel town sprawl and traffic in this area, but there is plenty of beautiful Orlando that is not part of this area that most tourist see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 11-11-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

Yes, you are of course correct. I was being facetious. Kind of.

There are many beautiful places in Miami, too. Just not nearly enough to balance out the chaos of the rest of the city you have to contend with to get anywhere. That's how I feel about Orlando.

Horses for courses, of course.
Old 11-11-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

My folks winter in the Charlotte Harbor (Punta Gorda) area and we really enjoy visiting and would consider moving there if we found the right income opportunities. It feels residential and not at all touristy, but still has excellent beaches, amenities, real estate prices, water access, fishing etc. My wife and I would also be interested to here about schools in the area if we ever got serious about moving. Tampa is not far if you need a night/day/weekend of culture and Naples is just to the south if you need to spend cash in a hurry.

I've also spent time in the Keys (love the island feel, but it's very crowded and a bit touristy) and the panhandle (Panama City, Port St. Joe). The panhandle always felt doable too. Nice water access, reasonable prices, etc., put I prefer SW Florida.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-11-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by imasaluki View Post
The "bugs" are no worse in Florida than they are elsewhere and, having back-packed in Alaska, Canada, Washington State, et al, I have found the mosquitoes in Florida don't come close to the ferocity of their northern cousins. "No-see-ums" can be a pain in the neck but they are only out for a short while at sun-rise and sun-set and a little Avon Skin-so-Soft or Deep Woods Off handles them and the "skeeters" pretty effectively. Anchored out, neither are much of an issue if there's any wind. If not, a Thermacell Repellent Lantern in the cockpit sheds a nice light and keeps the bugs well away. We have several of these devices aboard and they are very effective.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
The Following User Says Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
imasaluki (11-13-2013)
Old 11-11-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Lots of good advice. One thing I will mention is a statistic that I read some years back, and that is that almost 2/3rds of the people who move to Florida will move away within 2 years. The reason being that they visit in the winter, when it is great, but are not at all prepared for the hot, humid summers.

And, yes, there are bugs. Not so much flying bugs, other than the no-see-ums. But crawlers. You need to be REALLY careful about keeping your kitchen clean, or you need to have a regular bug service (which most people do), or else you are going to end up with cockroaches and ants all over the place.

Then, too, I'm afraid that I have to toss a bucket of cold reality on your hopes for finding a home on a canal with a dock for less than $200k. That is only going to happen in the most remote of areas, where finding a decent paying job is going to be a major challenge. I can guarantee you that there you aren't going to find anything between Naples and Tarpon Springs on the west coast like that.

Good luck, nonetheless. Florida is not for everyone, but I love it.
The Following User Says Thank You to denverd0n For This Useful Post:
imasaluki (11-13-2013)
Old 11-11-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

My freinds just bought a nice house on a canal on Sugarloaf key for 250.
They had moved from the Pan Handle to escape the cold winters. I could buy a 6 room mansion on 4 acres for 39 grand in west Va. You pay more for less in the key's, but the trade off is so so worth it. I'd take the 80 grand double wide on a canal on Big Coppit with an 1/8 of acre over the 4 bedroom in Cape Coral any day of the week. Gasparilla is nice though.
Old 11-11-2013

MarkCK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedujo View Post
We're in Riverview, lower-middle class rising. 25 minutes to downtown Tampa, 10 minutes to Apollo Beach. $200k will get you a brand new 2100-2400sq' single-family home in a cookie-cutter subdivision. There are new developments less than 5 minutes from my front door.
Brand new is nice; houses built to modern hurricane codes make insurers happy.

Downtown Tampa has condos, if that's appealing. Great views, city-like conveniences.

15 minutes east of 33578 will get you a few acres of pastureland and 1500sq' and position you very close to the Hillsborough river and great mountainbiking. (yes, seriously).

New Tampa, 30 minutes north of me, in northern Hillsborough county, is upper middle class. Bruce B. Downs is the major artery in New Tampa, google maps will let you browse the area.

Sarasota / Bradenton might work for you also; it's charming and has character. Smaller than Tampa but not as rural as Lakeland / Winter Haven.
I suggest staying near the coast. The further east you go the more stagnant it feels and you're just that much further from good sailing.

St. Petersburg and Clearwater are on the other side of the Bay. I drive through it often but cannot speak to the housing situation. It doesn't seem to be in "growth mode" like Riverview or New Tampa.

Hope that helps. Happy to help with specifics as you need.

Dad lives in Louisville. I'm from Lake Cumberland area. Spent time in Lexington and still have family dotted all along from Hyden to Somerset. I suspect I know how you feel.

Tell me more about the Mountain Biking. I have some vague future plans of moving to Florida at some point and I always figured I would have to give up Mt biking. I live in th Ozarks and have access to quite a few good trails close to my house and I would hate to give that up.

Tags
boating communities , boating community , canal home , moving to florida

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.