Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013

Tim Newman is on a distinguished road
Re: Things lost in the water

I saw this skipper of the boat across the dock from us drop something in the water a couple of weeks back. Not sure what it was, but judging by the swearing it must have been something important. Anyway, with very little hesitation one of his crew dived in and retrieved it...and the water was bloody freezing. I was impressed, he didn't hang about, shirt off, straight in, and 30 seconds later was back on the boat being handed a towel. Not sure I'd have been so keen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013

cthoops is on a distinguished road

We just finished our first season with a boat. I was out with my stepfather (who taught me how to sail when I was a kid) and the winch handle slipped out of his hand. I wish I had a camera at the exact moment it happened. The look on his face was priceless - within a split second it changed from surprise, to shock, to chagrin.

I started laughing my ass off and told him not to worry, went down below and grabbed the spare. The next day I discovered how expensive winch handles were. Glad I didn't know it at the time - forced cheerfulness wouldn't have been nearly as much fun.
Old 11-11-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Besides all of the pairs of sunglasses, and a couple dozen hats, my worst loss was my custom stainless steel boarding ladder, that was part of my stern pulpit, that I unpinned from it's hinges while sailing along, so that we could more easily pee off the back transom platform, and managed to slip and drop it in the drink. I priced a new one at $450 before I decided to make do with a cheaper model.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 11-11-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

Wife's glasses when she was bent over the life line, she had no spares and we were on a 10 day cruise...road trip. And a 12' serf casting fishing pole that was on the deck inside the stanchions, went over when a random micro burst broached my boat. It was a calm day under 4 knots wind, had full sails up and tight...and wham, down and right back up.
Old 11-11-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Ever notice how when you drop something on deck, no matter where you drop it, it bounces overboard?

To get the battens out of the main, you need to remove a small screw from the batt slides. The screw size and positioning was clearly designed by an engineer who was trying to make me crazy. Every year, we drop one on deck, first there's the ping as it bounces on deck, then the plop as it hits the water.

On one of our previous boats we had a sliding car on the boom for a in mast hood furl. It decided to explode one day raining ball bearings on the crew. Yep, that same ping then plop sound heard maybe 100 times in a matter of seconds.
Old 11-11-2013
El Chupa Nibre

Mr. Bubs is on a distinguished road

I've lost a lot of sunglasses.
Old 11-11-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Several years ago we participated in the season opening regatta hosted by our yacht club. The first race was on a pretty crappy day; cold, raining, and blowing pretty well. Most yachts started however, including one sailed by a husband/wife and one crew team. There were several crash and burns in the course of the first and second legs and a number of boats withdrew. At one point after rounding the 3rd mark we heard the wife of the husband/wife team notify the committee boat that they were disabled and withdrawing (DNF).

"Is anyone injured?" inquired the Committee Boat;

"No" responded the wife, "but I've dropped both our winch handles overboard so please check on me when we get back to the Club!"
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 11-11-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

French press, digital camera, cell phone, channel lock pliers, and a cocktail waitress.

I was lucky to be able to manage to retrieve the waitress as it was dark and she was black but we were moored and drunk so no one was going anywhere fast...
PaulinVictoria likes this.
Old 11-11-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

We lost our stainless steel boarding ladder too. It took me a week to summon the courage to dive for it the cold water. Submersed a phone when I tried to soar the four feet to the pier as the boat was frifting off it. I did manage to cover 4 feet one inch though but couldn't find my balance using just my to big toes.
Old 11-11-2013

bshock is on a distinguished road

I've lost the usual, lots of sunglasses, a fishing pole, a batten, multiple lifeline cup holders, a hat, some small tools. Maybe the most heart wrenching was losing a good German dark beer over the side. There are few things better than a good dunkel and I treasure every one.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.