Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013

jslade8581 is on a distinguished road
Re: Things lost in the water

Not my loss, but my dad's - after he ran us aground in the St. John's River, he decided to jump in to push us off whilst my brother and I were wrestling with the stuck roller furling jib (when it rains it pours). Forgot to take his cell phone and wallet out of his pocket first (recovered, but the cell phone was dead and done). We ended up needing Sea Tow to help us off (I didn't want us to dry out before the next high tide).

Another was a captain with a sailing school I did in South Florida. He was on his cell phone while we were at anchor, and then he dropped it (its safe to say that the vodka and whiskey may have been a culprit). We heard it bounce about in the cockpit, but we couldn't find it. We realized it must have just slipped into the water. It was pitch-black, and one of the other students decided to overcome his fear of sharks by jumping over and searching for it. Incredibly, he found it with an underwater flashlight after three dives. We put the phone in rice, and the camera's memory was saved.

"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears or the sea."
- Isak Dinesen
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013
MikeGuyver

MikeGuyver is on a distinguished road

On our 2013 summer trip to B.C.
deck scrub brush, 75' hose, telescoping boat hook, prescription sunglasses, 1 medium size fender, 2 umbrellas........my old comfortable deck shoes, I still think the Admiral had a hand in their disappearance, she denies it but....
Old 11-11-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Cruising along, I looked back and said to my wife "I guess I know what I'm getting for father's day next year. A new trolling motor for the dinghy." I had left it on, stupid me, but locked up. It must have caught on a lobster buoy and sent itself to the bottom of Casco Bay. She was not amused.
Old 11-11-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

My most expensive was a motor... We were out on the racing sailboat with our brand new 2hp honda I was all excited about because it was much lighter than our old one, when I heard a big crack, then a splash. The motor mount which was 30 years old had cracked in half, then the safety line broke (again an old piece of junk line).

Funniest.. While anchored in Bonaire I set the windsurfer up, and after a long day having fun I tied it up to the boat. As I was taking the sail off to store for the night, the entire thing slipped out of my hands and sank. We were able to get it back, but it took a bounce dive to 150' to get a line to it.
Old 11-11-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

So far a really nice Benchmade Nimravus that I only had a few months. Fell out at the slip and I kept forgetting to get a magnet to fish it out. Finally just figured it was all rusted up and let Davy have it.

It was a nice knife though: 140 Nimravus® Product Detail
Old 11-11-2013

Chas H is on a distinguished road

During a week long cruise while a friend was on galley duty he was carefully washing each piece of flatware in a pail on deck. When finished he dumped the wash water and everything in the pail over the side. The next time we went cruising together I showed him a fork, knife and spoon that were tied together with a string. The string had a loop in one end that he was instructed to put on his wrist before washing.
-CH
Old 11-11-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

The list is long, alas.

Tools. Many, many tools. Lots of screwdrivers - they seem to just leap out of my hands and bounce off the deck into the water.

Fasteners. Probably hundreds of dollars worth of stainless steel screws, nuts and bolts.

Prescription eyeglasses. Two or three pairs.

Dishes and flatware.

My favorite coffee cup when the handle just came off while I was dumping the dregs overboard.

A golf umbrella.

A four by six piece of Hyper Vent.

A couple of buckets

A Cell Phone

Sail bags

Sail ties

A foul weather coat

But the worst I ever saw was a middle aged woman on the docks who took off her rings and set them on the dock box lid to do some varnishing on the boat. Along comes her friend who opens the dock box to get out a brush. Several petite splashes and an "Oh my!" followed as enough gold and diamonds to buy my boat five times over sank into the ooze at the bottom of the harbor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-11-2013
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post

But the worst I ever saw was a middle aged woman on the docks who took off her rings and set them on the dock box lid to do some varnishing on the boat. Along comes her friend who opens the dock box to get out a brush. Several petite splashes and an "Oh my!" followed as enough gold and diamonds to buy my boat five times over sank into the ooze at the bottom of the harbor.
Do they make underwater metal detectors? $$$ Wink wink

My list of donations to Davy Jones is long as well. Long enough that I don't even swear anymore. Just a two fingered (sometimes one finger) salute and I move on.
I don't take out my phone unless I'm down below on the boat. I don't use it on the dock. Ever. I'm too clumsy.

I still miss my favorite fishing pole. It's amazing what all you can snag a hook on until you're trying.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 11-11-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

I wasn't there but a guy in our club saw someone ride his brand new bike out onto the dock. He slipped on some water and the bike went right in. The club guy got a boat hook and was able to retrieve the bike.
Old 11-11-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

"Ready to come about............Hard alee." PLOP. Thought I heard something fall in the water but didn't pay much heed to it.... Then I needed the winch handle to tighten the jib. Gone. The SOB mainsheet had deviously and surreptitiously lifted it out of the holder on the way across and deposited it neatly overboard...damn!