Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Things lost in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Do they make underwater metal detectors? $$$ Wink wink......
They most certainly do.

Where exactly did these jewels take a splash?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013

sailvayu is on a distinguished road

Here is a link to an article I wrote for Lats & Atts awhile ago about dropping things overboard. Hope you enjoy it.

Lost Loves and other Shiny Things - Sailing Vayu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-11-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Three weeks after I got married, my wife and I were out fishing near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge at Sandy Point. We were chumming for stripers when a yellowjacket landed on my wrist and nailed me. I shook my wrist violently the yellowjacket flew off and so did my wedding ring. The ring quickly sunk out of sight in 70 feet of water. My wife wanted me to put on my scuba gear and try to find it, but I convinced her it was lost forever. She bought me another on our first anniversary. That was a half-century ago. I guess it's still down there in the Chesapeake's gooey, black mud.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 11-11-2013

AirborneSF is on a distinguished road

I've lost A LOT of MONEY in this "hole in the water", but hey, haven't we all?
Old 11-11-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road

The funny thing about dropping something off a sail boat is that you don't drop it into the water. You drop it onto the deck or the coachtop. When it hits, it bounces up to within about 6 inches of your outstretched fingers, and hovers there for several seconds, rotating slowly so you can get one last look at it from all angles. It then arcs gracefully over the lifelines and drops into the water.

I haven't lost that much overboard, but my informal study suggests that the six inch hovering distance described above is reduced, perhaps to as little as an inch, for items of greater value.
bljones likes this.
Old 11-11-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Lost:
  • 1 month old pair of Maui Jim Kahunas
  • the stainless steel threadded lever from a Magma BBQ rail mount
  • TWO 1lb propane canisters, and the regulator for the same grill
  • the retaining ring from the top of a Barlow 19 winch
  • about 50 of the 100 delrin bearings from a brand new Garhauer Foot Block

I also dropped my truck, boat and house keys (all on the same ring)into the 1" space between the catwalk, and a bulkhead at the yard where my boat had just been launched in RI in late May... It was 10:30 at night, I was alone at the boat, and I was seriously screwed, as my wife was not going to bring me a set of keys at that hour...

The truck was locked, but the boat was open. After I got a flashlight, I could just see the reflection of the keys in 6' of water along the bulkhead. The water was about 45ºF, but I had no other options; I stripped off my shoes/sox/pants/jacket/shirt, jumped in and recovered them.
ottos likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 11-11-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I didn;t lose it, but I found it. One of the best tools I ever came across was a 2 pound mini-sledge I dredged up from the bottom doing some crabbing. No idea where it went after 20 years, but it was a very useful tool for 10 of them

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 11-11-2013

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road

Uncounted hats and Sun glasses, numerous tools, an outboard motor cover, a couple of umbrellas, a folding chair, a solar panel, several hats and lately an outboard which I recovered. For some reason O'le D. Jones seems to have a hankering for every 7/16" and 11mm wrench that makes it to any boat I am on. If there is no suitable combination wrench available to quench his hunger a nice adjustable spanner or pair of pliers seems to do almost as well.

I dropped a 7/16" wrench from the base of an Inmarsat antenna about 60~70' in the air amidships of an oil tanker I was working on one time. It tinked, tanked and thunked four times before I heard the faint splash.

And then there was the anchor my buddy threw overboard without securing it to the bow of the john boat we were fishing from. We did a lot of drift fishing that day.

I used Poly Pro line on the next anchor I got for that boat. I had to replace it every year but it was still cheaper than buying new anchors every fishing trip.

Yes, he did drop anchor without tying it off again but the poly pro saved the day.

What can I say other than, OH WELL!

Have FUN!
O'

p.s. If you get the impression that 'possums aren't too smart some times, you will not get any argument from me.
Old 11-11-2013

jzk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Besides all of the pairs of sunglasses, and a couple dozen hats, my worst loss was my custom stainless steel boarding ladder, that was part of my stern pulpit, that I unpinned from it's hinges while sailing along, so that we could more easily pee off the back transom platform, and managed to slip and drop it in the drink. I priced a new one at $450 before I decided to make do with a cheaper model.
Beneteau wants $850 for the stern ladder that my nephew dropped into the water off South Manatu Island.
Old 11-11-2013

tatcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

I have lost the typical stuff: cell phones, hats, seat cushions, winch parts, etc. One of the phones was a blackberry that my work provided. I called the help desk because I 'lost' the phone the service person said they would send a 'kill' signal so no one could use the phone. I explained that they didn't need to do that because I doubted the fish would be using the phone.

The one thing I lost that hurt the most was an expensive watch.

Barry
breathlessly watched my rolex slide across the deck and luckily caught the toe rail.
never wore it on the boat again.