Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Things lost in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

I have lost the typical stuff: cell phones, hats, seat cushions, winch parts, etc. One of the phones was a blackberry that my work provided. I called the help desk because I 'lost' the phone the service person said they would send a 'kill' signal so no one could use the phone. I explained that they didn't need to do that because I doubted the fish would be using the phone.

The one thing I lost that hurt the most was an expensive watch.

Barry
When I was a youngster and the men landed on the moon (OK maybe they didn't, I'm not starting that argument ) I saved for eight months to buy a Omega Speedmaster the same as the one that Neil Armstrong wore on that alleged adventure.

Twenty years later it went over the side. No chance of recovery, the water was 4800 meters deep in that spot.

It was waaaay under-insured and I still haven't been able to save the $5k it needs to replace it today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013

kjones is on a distinguished road

My rudder
Old 11-11-2013

Jak is on a distinguished road

We had a little blow up here in the Pac NW a few days ago. I was on my boat to make sure she didn't drag etc. The wind picked up my inflatable dinghy, dumped the deep cycle battery, oars, etc, then flew the dink like a kite off my stern for a bit before setting her back down. Good new is I now have much more confidence in my ground tackle. Next time I will empty the dink, and fill her full of water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-12-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road

After my 2 friends left following our 44-hour crossing from San Diego to Santa Barbara, I blearily took the jib off the camberspar to get it repaired and this metal piece that wraps around the forestay flew off as I loosened the last bolt. I'm pretty sure everyone heard me yell across the marina. A couple of days later, and with low expectations that it was firmly buried deep in the mud, I dropped a weight with a float on it in the general area where I thought it went. I followed the line down and it was just resting on top of the mud within arm's reach. Not wanting to get out right away, I moseyed around and found a rubber-banded (?) weight belt with some great weights and D-rings. Not long ago, I almost lost a full cart of supplies including a new dinghy motor battery and about 6 bottles of wine, after one wheel caught the edge of the pier. The checkbook was damp for weeks. I feel I've been pretty lucky and try not to dwell on the things that have been lost....screwdrivers, cell phones, hats, a friend's camera, a loose memory card, etc.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38
Old 11-12-2013

harmonic is on a distinguished road

this afternoon I was reefing my main and i dropped my split pin which holds the slugs in the track then forgot when i dropped the main the whole sail fell out was blowing about 30 knots and the whole lot billowed every where bit of fun for a while,I usually manage to drop a winch handle over the side once a year and hats mostly get them back though good mob practice.
Old 11-12-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

I have lost various tools, glasses, work security card, about 1 metric tons of SS HW, bars of soap.

The wife has lost a bottle of wine and her cell phone. Believe it or not on different occasions.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 11-12-2013

tschmidty is on a distinguished road

Well, just lost an anchor. It was just an 8lb genuine danforth that was a second anchor and getting ready to be a third soon but still irritating. Was only in about 15 feet of water, dark outside and I had just looped the splice at the end over the cleat (dumb I know...). Watched it float right off. It was just that cheap yellow braided line which was supposed to float I thought. Couldn't find it at all either then or when I took a look around the next morning.
Old 11-12-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

hats sunglasses cats dogs potential purchaser of another boat,, cell fones, pagers, tools, dishes...cutlery, ex husbands, what else is there to lose overboard...stoves, water heaters,, whatever can fall from hand does so.
i didnt lose the outboard overboard...that was a good save....

i been practicing since 1990, when i moved on board first boat, so i gotta get it right sometime, no??

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 11-12-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

I think I might have lost a roll of film once, but don't think I have lost anything else or anything important enough to remember. Partially to good luck part to good practices.

Cell phone and keys go into a pocket in bag down below as soon as I am onboard. When I wore a nice watch I had a cheap sailing watch I swapped out for the day. Sunglasses have keepers as do hats. Camera strap over neck or wrappped once around wrist and once around my hand when up top. All flashlights and handheld items have lanyards that are put over my wrist when used.

On my most recent cruise it was a different story while scuba diving. On our second dive (second dive in cold water in 20 years) I clipped a gear bag on my belt for all the lobster I was going to catch and my dive partner had a hawaiian sling for all the fish he was going to shoot. By the time we reached bottom we were unencumbered by either item.
Old 11-12-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Every ball cap I ever sailed with, so got a Tilley.
Why do they make winch handles without locking devices?
The really nice waterproof seiko I bought while in Vietnam. Was cranking the winch and it just went kerplop.
Guests on board have lost several items.
Hats make good mob targets.
OPossumTX likes this.