SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Things lost in the water (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/105486-things-lost-water.html)

boatboy132 11-10-2013 09:35 PM

Things lost in the water

So we have all dropped stuff in the water, from at the dock and on the go, lets hear what some people have lost in the water

xymotic 11-10-2013 09:44 PM

Re: Things lost in the water

I dropped a really nice dewalt cordless drill off the top of the mast. Figured it was toast and wrote it off.

just a couple days later I mentioned it to my neighbor & he said "oh no! You can rinse it and totally save it!"

it was noticeably lighter... ALL of the copper in it was completely dissolved.

BarryL 11-10-2013 09:44 PM

Hey,

I have lost the typical stuff: cell phones, hats, seat cushions, winch parts, etc. One of the phones was a blackberry that my work provided. I called the help desk because I 'lost' the phone the service person said they would send a 'kill' signal so no one could use the phone. I explained that they didn't need to do that because I doubted the fish would be using the phone.

The one thing I lost that hurt the most was an expensive watch.

Barry

trantor12020 11-10-2013 09:45 PM

Socket spanner with handle - lost while changing prop.
Sunglass - slide off bimini.
Sunglass - gets swipe off face by sheets.
Winch handle - mishandling

Faster 11-10-2013 10:23 PM

After a month of cold water, this past summer I was so anxious for a swim once we had some warmth I dove off the boat without taking my prescription glasses off - a $600 dive...

Otherwise the usual assortment of tools, plus sets of keys (3 times.. Got 'me back twice)

manatee 11-10-2013 10:39 PM

Someone else lost it, I found it (thought I had a record *something* at the end of my line):
one of those folding/collapsing metal-tube & cloth chairlike things. Cleaned up pretty nice, gave it my sister for her porch.

H2814D 11-10-2013 11:01 PM

One time I lost one of those folding/collapsing metal-tube & cloth chair like things. I'm sure someone probably found it and it is now sitting on someone's sister's porch somewhere. :-)

xymotic 11-10-2013 11:05 PM

There's a well known undercurrent flowing from Vegas to Florida.

Minnewaska 11-11-2013 05:52 AM

I will never forget dropping my pocket knife off the dock when I was a kid. Probably about 12 or 13. It was a Boy Scout logo folding pocket knife. By today's standard, it was junk. The blade did not lock open, so it was probably dangerous too. But I carried it everywhere with me, even to school, which I'm sure would be illegal today.

It was the first moment I recall feeling completely helpless and subject to a life sentence for my mistake. I still recall where I was and who was there. I even recall the explanation from my Father that the bottom was soft mud and murky, so diving for it was futile. I was crushed.

To this day, I keep floating fobs with small carabiners on them in the car to attach to keys when I'm at the marina.

mad_machine 11-11-2013 07:31 AM

I love my wits...