SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Blogs?

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  titustiger27 
#1 ·
Hello all,

If you were starting a new sailing life.... from the search, to the purchase, getting to know your boat and so on, which Blog site would you go to as yours?
I know there's lots out there, but there must be one that's the most popular that folks use?

Fair Winds,

#2 ·
I don't think one would be the most popular. It would depend on how the blog relates to them. I think your best bet would be scrolling through the blogs to see which ones are relevant to your situation. You could try the blog rolls on monkeyfist or blogger - I think the sailing blogs are listed under lifestyles (maybe). Good luck.

#3 ·
When I was looking for a site to host a blog I figured out which was easiest for me to update. When I look at other people's blogs I generally don't care what they use, I'm more interested in whatever information they have.

#4 ·
which Blog site would you go to as yours?
Are you asking which blogging platform/app to use? Many pro bloggers (not necessarily sailing bloggers) use the paid version of WordPress. WP is powerful, but complicated if you're not tech savvy and just want a simple blog. The free version of WP, Blogger, SailBlogs, etc. are probably enough for most of us. I personally prefer Blogger with my own custom domain. You get simplicity with enough custom options to do just about anything you want.

If you're asking which specific blogs from others that you should follow, well that's a much different question and is probably much more subjective. The bottom line is there are MANY excellent blogs that offer a great alternative to the sailing magazines and give great personal accounts. If you're looking for some that are popular with the SailNet crowd, you can do a simple search for "blogs" here at SN and get several threads filled with links to explore.

#9 ·
Are you asking which blogging platform/app to use? Many pro bloggers (not necessarily sailing bloggers) use the paid version of WordPress. WP is powerful, but complicated if you're not tech savvy and just want a simple blog. The free version of WP, Blogger, SailBlogs, etc. are probably enough for most of us. I personally prefer Blogger with my own custom domain. You get simplicity with enough custom options to do just about anything you want.

** snip }
I hope you didn't miss the point of this post.

Are you starting a blog because you think you can make money off of it?
In this case the pro model of WP is likely the way to go. (here is a link that shows what the big boys/girls use: )

If this is more a personal blog, about your life as a sailer...then most fre ones will work.

If you are looking to connect with sailors you might want to search for sailing blogs (I started one here SailBlogs | Sailing Blog Hosting & Social Network but didn't like it much) and see what others are using. There are some blog sites that cater to a certain topic (like the aforementioned SailBlogs | Sailing Blog Hosting & Social Network)

My guess is there are a lot of topic blogs (sailing, biking, cooking, parenting, etc) but very few make money. I notice that it seems you need some kind of back and forth entity to drive to the blog. Like Authors have blogs, that they write about their topic and try to sell their book, or to read their newspaper column... and they use that to have people go to their blog. I think the money you get from having advertising (goog ads) on the blog will likely not put you in another tax bracket. ... and maybe not even pay for your internet connection.

#8 ·
Most of the folk I know use Blogger or Wordpress. Just open a free account and try one out. Find one that you think is easy to use, to post to.

Keep in mind 'what' you are going to put on your blog, in terms of words, but also pictures and videos and how you might want the layout or design to be.

I ended up at Wordpress which you may or may not like. I can link in videos stored on Youtube or photos stored on Flickr, and design things that are appropriate for the subject that I am blogging about.

#10 ·
Hrrrmmmm, lots of interesting advice here.

True probably only about 0.1% of bloggers make any money, even less than that make anything more than to pay for a steak dinner.

Pro bloggers use any platform, its not about the tech, its about the copy. I was a Joomla guy, now moved to Wordpress.

If its about revenue, you won't make money from advertising, its in the affiliate and side deals.

A great place to start is Content Marketing Solutions from Copyblogger

#14 ·
One of the things that dawned on me, if you are a writer... you might want to think about how you tell your story as much as what your story is....

I'm reading "A Sail of Two Idiots," by Renee D. Petrillo. I love her narrative as well as the format she uses --- sticking in tips, listing what broke... Best of all is her tone. I feel like the author and her husband are magicians Penn and Teller. She is the one that talks/writes but her husband is just as important to the act.

They no longer live on Jacumba, but her blogs still prosper

Island Babble St. Kitts

on land:
The Babbling Conch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.