Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Falling asleep at the tiller

This will make ya think. Good autopilot needed along with an alarm to wake you if you go too far off your course

Local News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2013

oceangirl is on a distinguished road
re: Falling asleep at the tiller

Don't fall asleep, period.
Kinda cool how the locals are helping them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-12-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Seven miles offshore. That means that at an average speed of 5 kts it would take over an hour to get to shore. That means the guy had been sound asleep for at least that long, probably much longer, since he most likely approached the shore on a diagonal, not a direct path.

It could just as easily been a frieghter that ran him down and killed him.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 11-12-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I have heard of people soloing at night with a kitchen timer.. set it for 15 minutes.. take a nap, alarm goes off, check around the boat, set the alarm for another 15 minutes....

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 11-12-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

If I understand the story correctly, the guy had bought two sailboats in NY that were both damaged in hurricane Sandy, he was sailing one of the damaged boats and towing the second damaged boat, offshore, in October, heading for South Carolina to repair the boats.

Falling asleep and waking up on the beach was a good outcome for this guy, I think.
Old 11-12-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
I have heard of people soloing at night with a kitchen timer.. set it for 15 minutes.. take a nap, alarm goes off, check around the boat, set the alarm for another 15 minutes....
That is something of an old cruisers standby. Pre mobile phones quite useful but today you can set an alarm on your phone to go off say every fifteen minutes and achieve same result.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-12-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: Falling asleep at the tiller

Hey,

I recognize the boat on the beach. It used to belong to a member of the same sailing association I belong too. Lots of boats were damaged last year, I didn't know that Belle was one of them.

Barry

Old 11-13-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

The role of Superman is vastly overrated.

The last hundred years or so of extensive research into sleep and fatigue pretty much all comes to the same conclusion every time. When a mortal is sleep-deprived long enough, they WILL go to sleep and stay asleep until they've gotten some rest. And you can bang a bell, fire a cannon, pour icewater on them, it doesn't matter. Kitchen timer? Yeah, that just tells you it is time to get some sleep.

But folks keep putting on the red cape and blue tights and thinking they're the exception to the rule. Pretty much like the guys who put down a fifth of Jack Daniels and swear they're good to drive.
Old 11-13-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
I've done that up to seven days on my own boat - never on delivery of course. Not recommended. A kitchen timer simply isn't loud enough. A couple of years ago I did my longest run using the alarm on my iPhone. Other than weather, e-mail over SSB, cooking, eating, or using the head I was on the 15 minute schedule 24 hours / day.

I'll say I was physically functional straight through but complex judgment deteriorated after about three days. I wouldn't do it again. My current threshold is 36 hours including a margin, so a planned run of 24 hours or so.
jameswilson29 likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 11-13-2013
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Four comments from someone who has soloed the Atlantic crossing:
1) Anyone serious about single handing (definition of serious - wants to stay alive) has a "cross track error" alarm that sounds if the boat strays from course.
2) 15 minutes does not make it. You never get any rest. About 30 minutes is the minimum. Even so, every once in a while you need to go 45 minutes to an hour or you will fall asleep (as noted above) and not wake up until your body is satisfied.
3) Again if you are serious you have a lot of other alarms - AIS and radar in case someone gets too close, weather, etc. None of this is foolproof but it is better than nothing. The big danger is not getting hit by another ship - they are rare offshore - but a weather change. Waking up in a thunderstorm or rapid weather change is scary and very dangerous.
4) No telephone, kitchen timer, etc. is loud enough to "wake the dead." I use the siren from an old car alarm. I can sleep through everything else.

Just my opinion.
jrd22, downeast450 and gamayun like this.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.