Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2013

findingzzero is on a distinguished road
Re: Robert Redford, Sailor

When I turtled my 17'er I was prepared to right a capsize, but hadn't read the next page about turtling. It turned out to be a 2 person job anyway and I was solo. I scrambled after what was left of the manual as it floated away. Dead Calm is a good time to bone up on yer sailing skills (not to mention another sailing disaster movie).

Last edited by findingzzero; 11-16-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2013
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

right a hobie solo and that is a true test!
Old 11-16-2013

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road

And the back story you provided is one of but many possibilities. There is no right answer. The letter that's read in the beginning is very short and intentionally vague. He apologies for something but we don't know what.

That's what the writer wanted.

The movie merely provides a framework, the audience has to fill in the blanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Possible spoilers
Exactly. I provided the back story that appeals to me, and fills in the blanks for me. I posted here to get others thoughts, not to act as a film studies professor. Thanks for the kind and thoughtful comments.
On other threads the movie has been trashed for mistakes. I'm not so sure they are mistakes. A writer, director and to a lesser extent an editor have enormous latitude on what they write and film and the scenes they put in the movie. Robert Culp one said about his under rated "Hickey & Boggs" that a director fills a scene with many details, each one imparts important information that is needed for the story. I prefer to believe that some details are important, not mistakes.
That being said I still cannot reconcile the the steering and the number of flares. I am guessing the cockpit was cut from one of the boats, and Redford's wheel was attached to nothing for filming. Redford admits he is not a sailor, the steering wheel keeps spinning, so he keeps spinning it. The flares? A question of time I guess, how many unseen flares can you fire before the audience get up to leave?
Lou
Old 11-16-2013

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
I really liked the movie. I like movies that make me think. I agree with Lillia28. Discovering the back story is really fun to do. After a couple of the unrealistic things that occur earlier in the movie, I checked myself from whispering NOOO!! in my wife's ear, and decided to just let that part go.

If you don't, you will drive yourself crazy.

SPOILER AHEAD
So.. did you notice that when he opened the sextant, there was a card inside? And he didn't read it? How come? My speculation is that the sextant was a gift from family, as described above, and that he didn't want to be reminded that he had messed up and not even learned how to use such a valuable gift.. He was ashamed.

Interestingly to me, is that when my father left on his circumnavigation in the late 1980s, he didn't want to bother with a sextant. So we bought him one. He never learned to use it.

SPOILER ENDING

The movie is full of wonderful things. But you have to reach for them, and not let the inaccuracies drive you crazy. Besides, it's less of an issue when he's in the life raft
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started wondering if it was a birthday present, a Christmas present or a going away present, but then I slapped my self. The way he tosses the card aside after the briefest hesitation says volumes, at least to me! I hope your Dad's circumnavigation went better than Our Man's!
Lou
Old 11-16-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillia28 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope your Dad's circumnavigation went better than Our Man's!
Lou
It certainly did. He completed it in 12 years, and he's alive and well!

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 11-16-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

reading back through this, I have to agree with the OP. Many people in a position of authority seem to take that attitude with them throughout life. Wether in driving, sailing, or flying.

Many many doctors lost their lives flying. The Beachcraft Bonanza earned the nickname "Split tailed doctor killer" for a reason

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 11-16-2013

luck66 is on a distinguished road

It is a movie, it's value is partly what you bring, and the entertainment you experience, and like art what you gain while viewing.
Old 11-16-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

I liked Lou's backstory - it was fairly close to what I had in my mind also, which meant I enjoyed the film. The only thing which niggles me was the lack of an EPIRB - but if he had one it would not have been much of a story! And I agree with the others - I didn't see errors, so much as dumb mistakes anybody could make - like the wrench to tighten a thumb-tightened antenna connection. Perhaps a bit spurious, but you have to fit a shot from the mast in somehow, don't you!

One thing I liked - which I know the directors strove for - was the condition of the boat. Maintained, but slightly run down - little things like holes in the mast where a cleat cleat to be added hugely to the reality for me - a seaworth boaty, but not new.

As I recall they bought at least 3 boats for the filming, and one indeed was cut up to get the camera into the right places.
lillia28 likes this.