Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2013

rob_d is on a distinguished road
Re: Installing Outboard

Seamfoam huh? I've never heard of the stuff. Just looked it up online. Glad to see ya'll aren't yanking my chain!
Like I said, it's a Volvo MD7A two cylinder diesel...I should add some seafoam to the diesel and the oil? How much? (I know very little about engines...but I'm learning!)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Are you sure it is running rough? have you compared it to another two cylinder diesel? the two cylinder diesels are not all that smooth even when new. you can not compare it to an auto engine. put in all new fuel make sure all fuel lines are tight, they can leak air in even if they don't leak fuel out. clean fuel filter. could be the PO added so many additives that you are not running on diesel fuel. Seafoam can help if you have water in fuel. clean fuel with or without seafoam there is no difference. seafoam is a bandaid as is the mystery oil. put the name mystery in the name and they will buy it, chrome it and they will buy it, we all know that chrome makes it go faster. add a chrome air filter and it will run much better.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 11-15-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

yup seafoam is good in a full tank of fuel...it also helps it from going stale...its also good in keeping fuel clean...having said that dont think of it as snake oil

I used it on outboards, my atomic 4 and in my motorcycle when I had it...its just good stuff thats not an excuse to not clean your fuel filters, tank, strainers and injectors etc...

marvely mystery oil is mostly used in oil, however some guys use a dash or too in the fuel as it does lubricate(when not overused) certain parts of the valvetrain, rings etc...

if you have rattling sounds from the big end(crank) then you can use certain stuff like STP zddp additive that is basically an oil thickener that will help against shearing and it will close up too lose tolerances on OLD high hour engines...again its a bandaid until you decide to either rebuild the deisel sell it running as is or get an outboard or whatever...

(some have even had luck in UNSEIZING stuck intake valves and the like when boats are left on the hard for a long time...)

in any case gettig a mechanic to just give the engine a once over or check before you set off on this little trip will help you have peace of mind

if he says something like this engine is trash dont ever use it...dont listen...find someone else that is more understanding...

x2 on advice above....hence my disclaimer
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Tags
bracket , outboard