SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Negative Two Foot Itis (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/106066-negative-two-foot-itis.html)

casioqv 11-16-2013 10:45 AM

Negative Two Foot Itis

Any of you guys also affected by the opposite of two foot itis?

This disease must be serious, because I went to a sailboat show with hot 40'+ race boats on display and found the only one I wanted to look at was the potter 14.

I recently downsized to a Montgomery 15, and yet find myself constantly looking at even smaller cruising boat designs- such as the Matt Leyden Paradox (13' overall) and Serge Testa's legendary 12' Acrohc Australis circumnavigation boat.

Paradox:
http://ftp.ij.net/wctss/wctss/CK2007web/ParadoxZoe.jpg

Acrohc Australis:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3031/2...7cd40c32_z.jpg

mad_machine 11-16-2013 10:49 AM

Re: Negative Two Foot Itis

I think the idea boat is around 30 feet.. that said, I do love my 23

PBzeer 11-16-2013 11:14 AM

A lot depends on what you want from the boat and how you'll use it. Outside of long distance cruising, I think the extra cost once you top 36', isn't really worth it, unless you have more than two people on the boat full-time. (Granted, I don't need a lot of space)

Alex W 11-16-2013 11:33 AM

Paradox is even stranger to read about:
Paradox

square sail, no centerboard keel, or other fin, and a tiny little pilothouse.

I do wonder if can sail to windward.

Faster 11-16-2013 11:36 AM

We've been through 24, 28, up to 40 feet, and now down to 35. The current boat still feels 'small' and manageable for two after the 40 footer.

Depends on your situation, of course, but we wanted to be easily able to coastal cruise and live comfortably aboard for up to 2 months at a time, and the ability to host occasional guests (usually couples) without hardship. For us this size seems ideal.

We've looked at upgrading (but based on age, not size) and there are plenty of 32 footers whose interiors outstrip our boat now, but having a hard time justifying what we'd have to pay vs what we'd actually gain in real, tangible improvements. The biggest thing we'd lose is storage (lots of it), the only 'real' tangible gain would be a much larger, spacious cockpit.

So we're 'settling' for what we have (barring a lotto win ;))

casioqv 11-16-2013 11:39 AM

I've never sailed one, but from what I've heard the paradox actually points to windward well despite not having a keel or centerboard. I suspect that's why it was named paradox! It's chine runners act basically like a wing keel, in that they actually point downward like a keel when the boat is heeled over going to windward.

My favorite thing about the paradox is it's brilliant ventilation box, which let's in tons of air but won't let in any water even if the boat is rolled or boarded by waves.

bljones 11-16-2013 12:39 PM

I fall somewhere in the middle. I admire micro-cruisers, and think the best iteration may be
"Miss Cindy" Turtle Island 16' MicroCat Cruiser.
and if i was single, and were looking at extended voyaging, I'd build one.
But, I am not, so long-term comfort for two in a boat that lives in a slip rather than on a trailer is my(our) priority, in a 26' or shorter package. Our Georgian 23 has been adequate for 6 years, but a little more room would be nice, or a layout that is a little more conducive to rainy weather lounging than a dinette layout.

But, I pause at going much larger- I like having costs and a maintenance schedule that I own, not one that owns me.

jephotog 11-16-2013 12:43 PM

I already own the Potter 14 and no I do not want to go any smaller, my kayak is 5 feet longer. It is very cramped below, so I have 1 foot-itis, I would trade you for the Monty 15 if you feel it is just too much boat.;) I like having something I can tow behind anything, setup solo in under a half hours and drop into any body of water. But would not mind a little more waterline and elbow room.

Don0190 11-16-2013 01:25 PM

I don't suffer any minus anything. I want 3-4' more and feel 46-50 ' is the ideal size for a couple.

casioqv 11-16-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jephotog (Post 1126450)
I already own the Potter 14 and no I do not want to go any smaller, my kayak is 5 feet longer.

I agree the P14 is cramped, but I think it has more to do with it's history than it's length... it's the original microcruiser and the designs have came a long way since then. I think anything under 15' shouldn't have a separate cockpit and cabin but needs to combine the two to be roomy. Modern microcruisers also do away with the centerboard trunk and mast support.

The cabin bed in my M15 is bigger than the bed my wife & I sleep on at home, and MUCH bigger and more comfortable than our old Catalina 22 cabin. I could never get a good nights sleep in the C22 because the bunks are all designed for shorter people.