Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2013

casioqv is on a distinguished road
Negative Two Foot Itis

Any of you guys also affected by the opposite of two foot itis?

This disease must be serious, because I went to a sailboat show with hot 40'+ race boats on display and found the only one I wanted to look at was the potter 14.

I recently downsized to a Montgomery 15, and yet find myself constantly looking at even smaller cruising boat designs- such as the Matt Leyden Paradox (13' overall) and Serge Testa's legendary 12' Acrohc Australis circumnavigation boat.

Paradox:

Acrohc Australis:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Negative Two Foot Itis

I think the idea boat is around 30 feet.. that said, I do love my 23

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

A lot depends on what you want from the boat and how you'll use it. Outside of long distance cruising, I think the extra cost once you top 36', isn't really worth it, unless you have more than two people on the boat full-time. (Granted, I don't need a lot of space)

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 11-16-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Paradox is even stranger to read about:
Paradox

square sail, no centerboard keel, or other fin, and a tiny little pilothouse.

I do wonder if can sail to windward.
Old 11-16-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We've been through 24, 28, up to 40 feet, and now down to 35. The current boat still feels 'small' and manageable for two after the 40 footer.

Depends on your situation, of course, but we wanted to be easily able to coastal cruise and live comfortably aboard for up to 2 months at a time, and the ability to host occasional guests (usually couples) without hardship. For us this size seems ideal.

We've looked at upgrading (but based on age, not size) and there are plenty of 32 footers whose interiors outstrip our boat now, but having a hard time justifying what we'd have to pay vs what we'd actually gain in real, tangible improvements. The biggest thing we'd lose is storage (lots of it), the only 'real' tangible gain would be a much larger, spacious cockpit.

So we're 'settling' for what we have (barring a lotto win )

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-16-2013

I've never sailed one, but from what I've heard the paradox actually points to windward well despite not having a keel or centerboard. I suspect that's why it was named paradox! It's chine runners act basically like a wing keel, in that they actually point downward like a keel when the boat is heeled over going to windward.

My favorite thing about the paradox is it's brilliant ventilation box, which let's in tons of air but won't let in any water even if the boat is rolled or boarded by waves.

Last edited by casioqv; 11-16-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

I fall somewhere in the middle. I admire micro-cruisers, and think the best iteration may be
"Miss Cindy" Turtle Island 16' MicroCat Cruiser.
and if i was single, and were looking at extended voyaging, I'd build one.
But, I am not, so long-term comfort for two in a boat that lives in a slip rather than on a trailer is my(our) priority, in a 26' or shorter package. Our Georgian 23 has been adequate for 6 years, but a little more room would be nice, or a layout that is a little more conducive to rainy weather lounging than a dinette layout.

But, I pause at going much larger- I like having costs and a maintenance schedule that I own, not one that owns me.

Old 11-16-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

I already own the Potter 14 and no I do not want to go any smaller, my kayak is 5 feet longer. It is very cramped below, so I have 1 foot-itis, I would trade you for the Monty 15 if you feel it is just too much boat. I like having something I can tow behind anything, setup solo in under a half hours and drop into any body of water. But would not mind a little more waterline and elbow room.
Old 11-16-2013
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

I don't suffer any minus anything. I want 3-4' more and feel 46-50 ' is the ideal size for a couple.
Old 11-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
I already own the Potter 14 and no I do not want to go any smaller, my kayak is 5 feet longer.
I agree the P14 is cramped, but I think it has more to do with it's history than it's length... it's the original microcruiser and the designs have came a long way since then. I think anything under 15' shouldn't have a separate cockpit and cabin but needs to combine the two to be roomy. Modern microcruisers also do away with the centerboard trunk and mast support.

The cabin bed in my M15 is bigger than the bed my wife & I sleep on at home, and MUCH bigger and more comfortable than our old Catalina 22 cabin. I could never get a good nights sleep in the C22 because the bunks are all designed for shorter people.

Last edited by casioqv; 11-16-2013 at 03:04 PM.