Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a mooring or slip in California.

No military connections. I really, really appreciate the advise.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013

xymotic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
BTW, this is a typical response from someone who really doesn't know much about the city.

Newport just expanded/renovated all of it's public docks and added a new one. Dingy tie ups are allowed for up to 24 hours at all of them, and I believe, there is a 72 hour limit on a couple of them. Some are used more than others so you may have to do an initial hunt for a regular dock to use, but it shouldn't be too hard. The last few times I've tied up overnight, I was the only boat there. It is November though.

Parking in Newport isn't bad either, if you're in the know. If you are at H field, you would be parking on the peninsula. A yearly pass for MOST meters in the city is $100. You wouldn't want to move your car on a busy weekend though. For other fields, parking would be free, you just need to move for the street sweeper.

As for the Harbor Patrol, they are Sheriffs. Their job is to be a dick to people, not a job I would like. Having said that, I've had mostly good experience with the Harbor Patrol office people. Never had to deal with the guys on the boats but I always wave as I pass them and they do the same.

I've heard stories about the harbor patrol but it's always about a "friend's brother from Irvine" who had the issues with them.

Just sayin'. YMMV.
I lived in LA and worked marina's in LA and at a yacht club in Newport Beach. I've had LOTS of experiece with several harbor departments on both sides of the desk. My experience with them was not 'some guys brother' it was them being complete assholes to me for no reason.

going from avalon to LA my transmission went out. so we diverted to newport. They required us to show up, in person, every day by noon, to pay for a day's mooring. You could not pay for two days, just one. So instead of working on the transmission I'd have to plan my entire day around them. And I'm not even really complaining about that, but there was definitely a nasty attitude from everyone about anything from that office. "where's the restroom" was met with a scowl and eyeroll.

I've interacted with plenty of people in SoCal sherrif's and otherwise. You're right though that in Newport beach, the sherrif's think it's their job to be a dick, and they do their job well.

The last day was coming up and there was a red flag warning, and they flat out told me if I was not off the ball that my boat would be impounded. Again, they were just being dicks. I hadn't tried to bend rules or anything they are just nasty. For sure don't ask them about the weather or 70 MPH winds in the forecast or they might think you are stealing ($5) from them!

I can't speak to the THe new docks but when I was there a few years ago the county docks and facilities were disgusting. It's nice that tthey may have finally fixed them 10 years too late though. And I guarantee you you're not going to long term park a car there or a dinghy every day while you go to work. So those are real issues that the OP will have to suss out BEFORE spending 10k on a mooring.

Most reputations are earned, Newport Beach has a reputation that no other town on the coast with the possible exception of Dana Point have. And gee, what do they have that's different? OCSD.
In 08 (about when I was there) you couldn't even file a complaint. They said "yep we're just that good so we don't get no complaints" O.C. Sheriff's Department gets few complaints from the public - Los Angeles Times

In 09 they made the 'amazing' step of having complaint forms in the stations and complaints went up 42% It was even noted that OCSD was nasty to other agencies. They had an elitist bad culture there.Turns out, maybe they were'nt quite as good as they thought they were.

Complaints against sheriff's employees up 42 percent: OC Watchdog Blog: Orange County Register

It's POSSIBLE they have fixed all their problems, but it's gonna take a few more years before they earn a good reputation because their current one is well deserved.

Last edited by xymotic; 11-18-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-18-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Oh, Your talking about THAT Newport Beach. You're right it sucks. Stay in LA.
capttb likes this.
Old 11-18-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

And you are right, Dana's even worse, however it's the only harbor I know where if you forget to lock something, it's still there when you come back.
xymotic likes this.
Old 11-18-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I've had LOTS of experiece with several harbor departments on both sides of the desk.

I've interacted with plenty of people in SoCal sherrif's and otherwise.

Most reputations are earned,

It's POSSIBLE they have fixed all their problems, but it's gonna take a few more years before they earn a good reputation because their current one is well deserved.
I really don't want to get into an argument over how great or over-authoritarian Newport's harbor patrol is. I've had limited experience with them as I said above, but...

Read your posts above guy. Maybe there is something else that's causing them to treat you and I differently.

Especially that part about reputation, maybe they saw you coming.
Old 11-22-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I've called the sheriff on the phone twice and they were super friendly. I asked about the moorings and told them what I wanted to do, and they gave good information and were friendly. They didn't try to dissuade me from buying a mooring. He even told me about how they recently built a new dinghy dock so now they have seven or something. When I asked the second call it was a woman and I asked how long I could rent a mooring for and how much and she was friendly too, and said they are $16 a day and I could rent one as long as I liked.

The only thing they cautioned me about was there are changes to the way moorings can be sold.

I'm not saying they were nice or not based on my brief encounter over the phone, you know, but it wasn't like calling a marina and you have to tippy toe around the liveaboard issue. I called a couple marinas too and Ventura was the friendly one, where redondo, and places in san diego sounded a little more standoffish.

I don't see why OCSD would hassle sailboats in the harbor anyways. I'm not saying their reputation if they have one is unfounded, just that they sounded nic to me, and Newport Beach is a big time sailboat center, why would they discourage sailboats?