This is hope! (3 young adults fix P30 and head out to sea) - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: This is hope! (3 young adults fix P30 and head out to sea)

How many of us, now that we are older, wish we had done more stuff like this when we were younger? [holding my hand up]

More power to them. If I ran into them cruising, I would help them any way I could.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road

The video was entertaining. Not because it was reality TV like were use to, or because all the facts check out, but because it was a group of friends going on an adventure. I wish I had been exposed to sailing when I was young and dumb following the Grateful Dead. That could have been me. Talking 3 girls into setting out into the unknown sounds like fun to me. If you have a moral problem with them then I think your just jealous that you didn't do something like this. Instead you killed yourself in school and found a job that will support your lifestyle. I bet your boat is a lot nicer than theirs also. At least they weren't waiting in their subsidized housing for their government entitlement check to come so they can call their friends on their Obama phone to go buy stuff with your money.
ShoalFinder and captain jack like this.
Old 11-18-2013

CLOSECALL is on a distinguished road

I'll bet these guys were subsidized by their families. Squatting, stealing, trespassing - now that's what I call role models. It's certainly not what I will expect of my grandkids.

How would you feel if they pulled up alongside your boat and used your mast to step theirs while they knew you were not around? Then just go ahead and move onboard for awhile since your boat is just sitting there empty. I know that in my marina, nobody steps onto someone else's boat without permission unless that boat is in trouble.

Sorry to be so grumpy but I've know lots of young people to have lots of adventures without crossing the lines that these people do.
Old 11-18-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
I'll bet these guys were subsidized by their families. Squatting, stealing, trespassing - now that's what I call role models. It's certainly not what I will expect of my grandkids.

How would you feel if they pulled up alongside your boat and used your mast to step theirs while they knew you were not around? Then just go ahead and move onboard for awhile since your boat is just sitting there empty. I know that in my marina, nobody steps onto someone else's boat without permission unless that boat is in trouble.

Sorry to be so grumpy but I've know lots of young people to have lots of adventures without crossing the lines that these people do.
i totally see that point. you'd expect your kids to be responsible contributing members of society. but such people do not just drop out of the game and blow all of any savings they may have on an adventure. they do their duty to society and cruise when they are older, have money, and are done doing what they are 'supposed' to do. only rich kids can afford to buy a boat, cruise the ocean, and come back with funds to live with. sad but true. why is it you see older people owning fast sports cars instead of adventurous young people? because they can afford it without resorting to grand theft auto.

stories like this are great fin to hear but most of us wouldn't live that way. we are too responsible. i was once entertained, at a local motorcycle friendly establishment ( read: biker bar ) by an old guy who was a retired member of a local 1% club. he regailed my brother and i with his, mostly illegal, adventures as a prospect and, later, a full member. it was fun to hear. but, when he said he'd come out of retirement just to be able to prospect me ( i guess i fit the 1%er bill ), i respectfully declined. i may be a wildman on a chopper but i'm no criminal...outside of some excessive speeds and stunts. plus, 1%ers steal bikes. my dad raised me right. you don't mess with another man's bike. it's more sacred than his wife...not that i would have ever messed with another man's wife

same with this video; great fun to watch, but i wouldn't do all the things they did. my morality wouldn't stand for it. i don't mind them pilfering from construction site dumpsters, assuming that's where the stolen material came from since it's much safer and just as lucrative as stealing from the actual materials piles. but, i do take exception with messing with another man's boat. however, in their defence, it was a 'responsible' adult, from normal professional society, that suggested it and helped them do it. on their own, it might not have occurred to them.
Old 11-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Responsibility is not about your education, job, house with white picket fence or whatever, nor were these suggested. It is entirely about not stealing, using or willfully damaging other peoples' things without their permission. The dumpster recovery theory is clever subterfuge, but clearly not the image they were going for.

I'm impressed by young kids who adventure while they can. There is a right way and a wrong way in society. Respect for others is a minimum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-18-2013

Tenoch is on a distinguished road

Perhaps some people are way over thinking this. The guy took a camera along, shot some video, and turned it into a pretty entertaining movie. I think the point of the film is to get out there and do it. If he mis-represents their "poverty", so what. They didn't hurt anyone, or vandalize anything, or "steal" anything of value. There are a lot of A-holes out there cruising, these guys aint them.
Old 11-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoch View Post
....They didn't hurt anyone, or vandalize anything, or "steal" anything of value. ......
I'm not going to make a mission of my point, but these observations are just simply in contrast to the video. The stinkpotter who lost a deck hoist feels differently, I'm sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-18-2013

CLOSECALL is on a distinguished road

When you take something that does not belong to you without asking the owner, it is stealing. Many people do it, and they are not necessarily bad people, but it's still wrong.
Old 11-19-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm not going to make a mission of my point, but these observations are just simply in contrast to the video. The stinkpotter who lost a deck hoist feels differently, I'm sure.
yeah. i felt bad for that guy. however, haven't you ever done anything stupid or sketchy any time in your life? something you might not be proud of? if you weren't a prefect saint, did the sketchy stuff that you did make you a total butthole or just a young person that did something that was less than kosher?

i know that some people like to pretend they were absolute angels but there are three kinds of peoplr in the world; those who have done wrong things, those that will do wrong things, and those that lie about it.

maybe the wrong things you did were different than stealing a little lumber or damaging someone's property while using it without their pemission. maybe you smoked dope. maybe you ran contraband. maybe you drank a few with your friends and then drove home. but, if you aren't a perfect saint, you can't narc on someo ne else because they aren't, either.

i'm not saying it's right to have used that guy's boat, even if it hadn't been damaged. but, i'm saying many of us have done dumber stuff when we are young. i'm withholding judgement about the stolen material since i don't know te full story behind that.

but i do think the point is getting lost in the moralizing. ok. they did wrong. give them 10 lashes and let's move on. the point is they took risks, committed themselves to an adventure, lived it, and made a pretty cool movie with some deep thoughts involved.

heck, i had an issue about his slap at capitalism but you don't hear me beating him up for it. a lot of young people oppose the status quo blindly, without undestanding, by opposing capitalism or even democracy. they often grow up and out of it.

Last edited by captain jack; 11-19-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
yeah. i felt bad for that guy. however, haven't you ever done anything stupid or sketchy any time in your life? something you might not be proud of?.....
Of course. Everyone has.

The huge difference is that I knew it was wrong and did not broadcast it to everyone to show it off, which would have encouraged others. In fact, you did just about everything you could to keep it a secret.

I couldn't care less about these actors, its the message and example they set that I object to. I love the adventure on a shoestring, I object to the abuse of others rights in the process.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.