This is hope! (3 young adults fix P30 and head out to sea) - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2013

darksails is on a distinguished road
Re: This is hope! (3 young adults fix P30 and head out to sea)

Wish i could do something like that now...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

Another group of youngsters. Obviously with a bigger pocketbook. The narrator is another software dude.

My line of work also happens to be software and I've heard Moxie Marlinspike (from the original video) speak at a security conference I attended. Quite a character.

Last edited by unimacs; 11-20-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-20-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

more money and cuter girls. the two go hand in hand. nice ketch. good argument for a composting head.
ShoalFinder likes this.
Old 11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
more money and cuter girls. the two go hand in hand. nice ketch. good argument for a composting head.
Or at least a test flush after it's been sitting unused for 10 months.
eherlihy and captain jack like this.
Old 11-21-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

I watched a good portion of the videos. At first it was interesting and adventurous, but then as he narrated their not so good behaviors like there was nothing wrong with what they did... What they projected to be acceptable... Is not and way to much of our society thinks it's OK. Just my .02.
Minnewaska and jimrafford like this.
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 11-21-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

I also enjoyed those videos. The thing that I don't understand is how so many people in the Youtube videos (and here) can get a junker ready in almost NO-TIME, while it takes me a half-day to get the $%^& thermostat housing off my motor. If I made a Youtube video, it would have a million hits, just for the plumber's crack and excessive fake-cursing!
Old 11-21-2013

I'm the parent of a young teen and I'm trying to figure out if he ended up doing the stuff in his 20's that Moxie does whether I'd be proud, angry, or just plain mortified. Probably some of each and you could toss in a little bit of envy along with the others.

As parents we want our kids to follow the rules, stay out of trouble, do well in school, etc. At the same time we'd probably be a little concerned if that's all they ever did.

Ultimately what I want for my kids to be happy and to leave the world a better place for having been in it. Breaking a few rules along the way might be required, but if they hurt somebody or their property there had better be a really good reason.

Not really a good example but my son came to me with a "project" he wanted some help with. I'm curious what your collective take on this is. My son found somebody online who through the use of relatively simple electronics had figured out how to automate the playing of a Pokemon video game in order to collect prized Pokemon.

The way it works is very clever and something I could see Moxie doing. On the other hand, it's cheating. But looking at it in the bigger picture, it's a project that would help my son (and myself) learn some valuable skills and have him spend time on something productive rather than wasting hours playing the game and collecting the Pokemon himself.

Last edited by unimacs; 11-21-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimacs View Post
Or at least a test flush after it's been sitting unused for 10 months.
lol. yeah. that was my first thought when he began talking about it.
Old 11-21-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCandC View Post
I also enjoyed those videos. The thing that I don't understand is how so many people in the Youtube videos (and here) can get a junker ready in almost NO-TIME, while it takes me a half-day to get the $%^& thermostat housing off my motor. If I made a Youtube video, it would have a million hits, just for the plumber's crack and excessive fake-cursing!
It's called "editing" and I'm willing to guess much of the footage wasn't even the "kid's" boat.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimacs View Post
I'm the parent of a young teen and I'm trying to figure out if he ended up doing the stuff in his 20's that Moxie does whether I'd be proud, angry, or just plain mortified. Probably some of each and you could toss in a little bit of envy along with the others.

As parents we want our kids to follow the rules, stay out of trouble, do well in school, etc. At the same time we'd probably be a little concerned if that's all they ever did.

Ultimately what I want for my kids to be happy and to leave the world a better place for having been in it. Breaking a few rules along the way might be required, but if they hurt somebody or their property there had better be a really good reason.

Not really a good example but my son came to me with a "project" he wanted some help with. I'm curious what your collective take on this is. My son found somebody online who through the use of relatively simple electronics had figured out how to automate the playing of a Pokemon video game in order to collect prized Pokemon.

The way it works is very clever and something I could see Moxie doing. On the other hand, it's cheating. But looking at it in the bigger picture, it's a project that would help my son (and myself) learn some valuable skills and have him spend time on something productive rather than wasting hours playing the game and collecting the Pokemon himself.
honestly, dude, although i know i have been a bit more accepting of the wrong things that moxie and crew did, in the video, i would never have done those things. in the same light, if you have influyence, i would never encourage my child, or anyone, to cheat. chreating gains you nothing. if playing the game, fairly, to get prized pokemon ( a reward on the game, not an actual item that one can win ), is a waste of time, cheating, to get these pokemon, is a greater waste of time and teaches your child to cheat.

now, i am sure that some who have been in this discussion will read these words and be nonplussed at them. how can i 'defend' moxie's wrongs yet be against cheating.

well, wrong is wrong. no doubt about that. cheating, however, is cowardly. it is avoiding the ordeal, avoiding the test. in many ways, what moxie did, that was wrong, was actually the hard, and risky, way to do it.

that being said, while i didn't dump on these kids for the wrong they did in their adventure, i would not encourage my kids to do the same. there are other ways around things...at least in the situations they were in.

there is a difference between forgiving someone's wrongs and urging another to do the same wrong things.

not to say i wouldn't have gotten free building materials, myself. very often, if you ask the job super, he will let you raid the dumpster. yesterday, i went to the jobsite next to the one i had been working as assistant to te super on. i asked the super, whom i had known back in those days, if he would mind if i got some scrap lumber for personal use. he was cool and told me to take whatever i wanted ( scrap, of course ). i got a 6' 2X8, that was a left over piece thrown away. i got a nice piece of advantech, also left over scrap. i a large piece of a manmade wood composite sheathing ( something new, which i have never before seen ) to use for the missing access panels. it's very stiff and stable.

anyhow, free materials. that accounts for 90% of the actual building material for the interior of the cal, which i am fixing up.

but, then i know that asking for scrap is an option. moxie, being a young rebel against the status quo and the system, might not even consider that such a thing is possible. evil capitalists would never just give stuff to people. lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to captain jack For This Useful Post:
unimacs (11-21-2013)