This is hope! (3 young adults fix P30 and head out to sea) - Page 9 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: This is hope! (3 young adults fix P30 and head out to sea)

I propose a new word to describe the propensity to discuss economics/politics inside a completely unrelated conversation.......

economasterbation
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2013

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

^^^nice!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I propose a new word to describe the propensity to discuss economics/politics inside a completely unrelated conversation.......

economasterbation
and the english language is now a richer, fuller language
Old 11-27-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:

economasterbation
I would imagine your barb was directed towards my posts. My posts were in response to an idiotic jab cloaked as a pearl of wisdom. Something, given your comment, you appear to have a familiarity with.

Speaking of propensity, I note from your comment in this thread and others your propensity of sitting in judgement of what is relevant to the particular thread. Given this propensity I think you should volunteer your services as a moderator for this forum. I for one would give it all the backing it deserves.
Old 11-27-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
I would imagine your barb was directed towards my posts. My posts were in response to an idiotic jab cloaked as a pearl of wisdom.
right off the bat, i take offense at that. for my part, i have avoided immature name calling towards you, despite my opinion of your own assertion that keynesian economics works and that history bears that out, despite the outrageous government spending and inflated national debt which has, in no way, done anything to reduce unemployment( quite the opposite). in fact, out of respect for this thread, i have kept from responding to you, at all, and kept to the subject of this thread. your manner, however, has been insulting , quite in opposition to the friendly discussion that i was having with Unimacs, previously.

now, that Minnewaska has pointed out, for the second time, that such a discussion does not belong in this thread and does nothing to further the subject, you are being nasty to him. how is that justified?

for our part, Unimacs and i stopped discussing economics/politics, although the nature of our discussion was friendly and respectful, because we realized he was right. such a discussion only detracts from this thread. Minnewaska shouldn't have had to mention it, again, but you deliberately started up, and persisted , after we had respectfully left the subject behind. it should be noted, in Minnewaska's defence, that the title and subject of this thread has nothing to do with economic theory. it is a discussion about a sailing video and a discussion of the future of sailing. he was right to say it should return to that.

secondly, you say you were responding to a jab. who was i jabbing at? you? i didn't think you were an official in the United States government or that you were responsible for the economic state of the country. so, i can't imagine how you were responding to a jab, of any sort. if a bit of my own views crept into my post ( less than a dozen words ), it was in no way a jab at you or an attempt to hi-jack this thread. last time i checked, people had a right to their views without having to be subjected to personal abuse, for them.

you seem to have to resort to nastiness, disrespect, and insult if you find someone who does not agree with your views.

previously, all discussion and debate, in this thread, has been friendly. perhaps, it might be good if everyone would hold to that standard.

Last edited by captain jack; 11-27-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 11-27-2013

Quote:
right off the bat, i take offense at that. for my part, i have avoided immature name calling towards you
If you look at my posts you will find in no instance did I resort to 'immature name calling'. I have only commented on the statements made.

Quote:
your manner has been insulting and pompass
As opposed to assessing blame to a group (progressives) who have had little to no bearing to the present economic situation? How can anybody find that 'insulting and pompass'.

Quote:
your own 'idiotic' assertion that keynesian economics works
The facts bear this out. The biggest case study would be WWII. A Keynesian framework has not been implemented. The economy is still operating under a neolibral framework.

Quote:
now, that Minnewaska has pointed out, for the second time, that such a discussion does not belong in this thread and does nothing to further the subject, you are being abusive to him.
Firstly, I have commented on a subject you introduced.

Secondly, my post pointed out Minnewaska's role is not one of a moderator. I take exception to anyone who takes censorship upon themselves.

Quote:
secondly, you say you were responding to a jab. who was i jabbing at? you? i didn't think you were an official in the United States government and that you were responsible for the economic state of the country.
Don't know what your on about. I did not personalise my comment.

Quote:
but, as is usual with people from the more marxist side of the fence, you seem to have to resort to nastiness, disrespect, and insult if you find your views of governance being opposed.
Now this is 'immature name calling'! Good on ya.

Quote:
previously, all discussion and debate, in this thread, have been friendly, in nature.
If by friendly you mean assessing blame on people who do not have any culpability then by that metric your comments have been very friendly.

Quote:
all discussion and debate, in this thread, have been friendly, in nature. perhaps, it might be good if you would hold to that standard.
As evidenced by your previous comments you appear to hold me to one standard and yourself to another.

I look forward to your next utterance with the greatest of anticipation.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 11-27-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Honestly Scott you seem like an intelligent guy so do yourself a favor and just never come back to this stupid thread ever again. That's what I'm doing. No one ever wins these things. Peace.
Old 11-27-2013

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

never understood why threads deviate so much?

I am guilty of a few quirks and minitaure derails often, I atrribute it to tangental thinking or outside the box comments etc...but man, this happened all the time on motorcylce forums too...people just always had to make it political, or economical or had to make it so personal that it completely destroyed the original intention of the thread...

lets just all relax and have a good sail!
Old 11-27-2013

Quote:
Honestly Scott you seem like an intelligent guy

Appearances can be deceiving. Cheers for the advice.