Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
This is hope! (3 young adults fix P30 and head out to sea)

Thank you Sean from oday sailboats on Facebook.
It's a long vid, the young man doing the narration is really good too! Enjoy! It gives me hope in the younger generation.
Group9 likes this.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 11-17-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
Group9 (11-18-2013)
Old 11-17-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: This is hope! (3 young adults fix P30 and head out to sea)

yeah. i love that film. i mentioned it in the future of sailing thread. thought it was four, though; one guy and three girls.
Old 11-17-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

yes it was 4 I loved it. great vid

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-17-2013
Kayaker/Dreamer

Resolute_ZS is on a distinguished road

Repost, but still a good video. Plus, where's Donna? She was going to make a Direct Deposit manual.
Old 11-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I was seriously hoping it wasn't this old fake, anarchist story again. I really wished it was a group of responsible kids this time. Stealing, breaking and entering, crapping over the lifelines, etc. Not to mention that they purport to have zero money, but have a $500 epirb bolted to the bulkhead below.

This story is a complete scam and very poor example for our kids. BTW, the young man doing the narration is a very successful computer hacker whose become a consultant.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
Shinook (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I was seriously hoping it wasn't this old fake, anarchist story again. I really wished it was a group of responsible kids this time. Stealing, breaking and entering, crapping over the lifelines, etc. Not to mention that they purport to have zero money, but have a $500 epirb bolted to the bulkhead below.

This story is a complete scam and very poor example for our kids. BTW, the young man doing the narration is a very successful computer hacker whose become a consultant.
They have a new diesel too.

Moxie's company was recently acquired by Twitter (well "recently"), he's not exactly broke. I don't think the others are either. He is a known figure in the computer security world and has been for a while, he isn't exactly needing for money.
Old 11-18-2013
1934 Chickering

I took it at face value. enjoyed it completely yes, I saw the new diesel. They were young adults. and what of us did not do some of the same things when we were younger? Going off on a lark.. kinda of like the retired old guys out of shape, broke, clueless on how to sail or handle a boat.. go off on the "dream" and are rescused 4 days out to "sea" I'm sure it wasn't all "real" but still it was a good fun vid to watch.
captain jack likes this.

My boat is for sale.

Old 11-18-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

yeah. as far as responsible kids, I think that's the issue here. 'responsible' kids work hard in school. they often have jobs in high school and save to buy cars and to help with college. they go to college and work hard to get good grades. then, when they graduate, they hit the ground running and do everything they can to get good employment. they save their money and, after meeting and marrying other responsible people, they buy a house. then they have kids, being responsible and passing on their genes. they raise these kids as responsibly as they can. then; once they are older and their kids have grown, moved away from home, and started their own responsible lives; they have time for themselves and they start doing things like cruising or RVing.

that's what you generally see, now, right? older people breaking out and cruising, enjoying the remainder of their lives after they fulfill their responsibilities?

isn't that the whole issue, in the thread on the future of sailing? young people aren't just gallivanting off to sail to foreign shores and it's usually only older people you see cruising?

that's your answer. the kids are being responsible. then, when people see kids that do just say screw it all and set sail, they want to complain because they are not being responsible. catch 22.

responsible people don't work their butts off to get degrees then blow any money they save to go cruising, returning to home years later with no money, no jobs, and no prospects. the baby boomers didn't do what was responsible when they packed their stuff up and sailed away or drove away in the old VW bus. they ran away from college and just went out an partied. their was rampant drug use, loose meaningless sex, and not a lot of responsibility being demonstrated. they were lucky. when they returned to normal life, they returned to a world on the rise, with lots of opportunity. new businesses and technologies. ground floors to wealth. and most of the kids who did that came from well to do families. they weren't working their ways through college. daddy was paying their tuition. the jungles of Vietnam were full of poor, working class kids that didn't have college as a shelter when the draft came.

we don't live in that world. we live in a world where 'responsible' kids, with degrees and good grades, are stuck working in restaurants and retail and other poorly paying jobs, or even unemployed. so, if modern kids took a break from reality, instead of starting the race immediately, they wouldn't be coming home to anything but a dead job market and a hard struggle, with their life goals several years behind schedule.

you just can't have it both ways. you can't have 'responsible' kids tossing caution and a life time preparing to run the race to the four winds and heading out over the ocean.

as far as the reality of their show. I agree, there are some issues. new motor. $1000 bucks for an old boat without even a mast or sails is not cheap. you may ( easily )be able to pilfer enough building supplies from construction site dumpsters to fix the boat ( terrible waste on construction sites ) but you aren't going to find masts and sails and bottom paint just laying around.

on the other hand, if he was a hacker ( and had money from his computer ' work ' ) that would explain their ability to afford the stuff that doesn't fit their poverty. and it would be responsible.

one youtube commented on their 'stealing'. the assumption being they really stole from people. however, you can easily get a lot of prime building material from construction site dumpsters. it's stuff that's in the garbage but it's still considered stealing. he never said where they pilfered it from. it's also not hurting anyone. in fact, it saves the contracting company money. it costs to have a dumpster hauled. if someone removes trash from the dumpster, it needs hauled less often. but it's still sailing.

just a few thoughts to ponder.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captain jack For This Useful Post:
ABH3 Boyer (11-18-2013), ShoalFinder (11-20-2013)
Old 11-18-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I'll agree with a summary of Capt. Jack's rant:

It's a different world out there now, than it was.
Much like "All is Lost", there are some glaring inconsistencies in the video, but it's an enjoyable and somewhat inspiring tale nonetheless.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 11-18-2013

Smier is on a distinguished road

Great video, I wish I had been more adventurous when I was younger! I'm too busy living the "American Dream" to go on an adventure like that now... I find it amusing that we are bashing them for being irresponsible, while complaining that they spent a good portion of their money on a rebuilt inboard and an EPIRB... At least these "irresponsible" young people made it without having to be rescued by the CG.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.