Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2004

jrwright is on a distinguished road
25 foot cruising

I would like to do some 2-3 week coastal cruising but am conserned with what a small boat can do.

I have a us25 and was told "if I capsize this boat, take a picture... because I will put it in the record book". The point was that the boat would be very difficult to turtle. I have been out in 20mph winds with working sails and lots of waves/white caps and had no problems.

I would like to hear other tales detailing what their boat can take.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2004

PaulBl is on a distinguished road
25 foot cruising

Basic Newtonian physics say pushing an object hard enough will cause it to fall over. There is enough force to turn you upside down. A tall wave crashing down on you might not flip you over (but it might)but break you in two. At lessor force it might wash you overboard. After a long enough storm you might just lose it from exhaustion. It really is not a matter of if the boat could turtle or not easily.

That said, boats less than half the length of your boat have circumnavigated the globe.

Coastal Cruising is generally something you do to enjoy not just an endurance test. Often small boats in big waters are not all that enjoyable even if the skipper is skilled.

I would ask what waters you intend to travel and what you expect to do. Frankly 20 knots of wind is more what I would call getting started to be fun. 20 - 25 knots is when my boat gets going. Above 30 knots and I start to lose the sensation of "fun" even if the boat is still capable of a whole lot more.

If you have your hands full at 20 knots you are not ready to coastal cruise yet. I find my boat can easily take more than I can. I think it''s generally true with most boats and most people that cruise. The key when is it still fun and when is it unfun or unsafe.

It''s not just about how large the boat is when saying what boats are "good" for coastal cruising. There is generally as set of equipment, storage, and tankage associated with boats that are good at this type of sailing. Safety and comfort also count too. It''s hard to make a 25 ft boat work WELL for this.
Old 11-06-2004

elhanley is on a distinguished road
25 foot cruising

I had a Coronado 25 on S.F. Bay and the no. Cal coast, and really loved it - 90% of the time. 10% of the time I was trying to get upwind in 20+k, and that boat was simply defeated. One reef put you 50 degrees off the wind; deep reefed you were hard put to just offset the leeway. People have circumnavigated in smaller craft, but they were reaching the whole trip. If you are trying to make specific destinations, and return home, you will be very frustrated by a boat that can''t beat into 25 K+ and the waves that go with it.
Old 11-08-2004

maestro is on a distinguished road
25 foot cruising

"coastal Cruising" in my own definition is being not too far off shore ( no more than 8-10mi. and usually within sight of land at all times) mostly day hopping to another port in good weather. Understanding that sometimes you gotta just "stay put" and have another cocktail so having a set schedule is very hard, being able to find protection if the weather changes, having a reliable motor..and probably a few more things. Either way, if you take care of yourself, take care of your boat, respect the weather and have plan B,Plan C, and Plan D (just in case) than a 25 foot boat is a fine boat to "coastal cruise" if you can stand being close to someone else (if you have crew coming along), some extra fuel containers, extra water, and food.......
Old 11-12-2004

hoopisailor is on a distinguished road
25 foot cruising

We sailed our 25 ft O''Day from Annapolis to Oriental. If you would like to know what it was like, check out our website intracoastalvoyage.com We made a movie so you can see what its like