Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2004
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point
A Sailors Sunday Meditation

For those who prefer not to take part, please skip this. For those who do, get ready for the good stuff.

Psalm 8:1-9
Please note it''s difficult to get to v8 without going through 1-7. Why is this?
Prospective. It all flows together. Mysteries, the more you meditate, the more you dwell there the easier it is to get to Mark 4:35 which says in effect "And He says to them on that day, evening having come, Let us go over to the other side. And having dismissed the crowd, they take Him under their care just as He was, in the boat, and there were other boats with Him. And there arises a GREAT WINDSTORM OF HURRICANE PROPORTIONS, and the waves kept on beating into the boat, so that it already was being filled. (yeah they were sinking) And He himself was in the stern of the boat, sleeping on the leather cushion. (I prefer leather too) And they arouse Him from sleep and say to Him, Teacher, is it not a concern to you that we are perishing? (pause a moment and think about this) And having awakened, He rebuked the wind and said to the sea, Be getting calm: hush up and stay that way. (Here is a clue on what to say to storms when they come, and I don''t think he was whispering either. I think He spoke with expectant authority like you better) And the wind ceased its raging, and there was a great calm. And He said to them, Why are you such timid , fearful ones: How is it that you do not have faith? And they feared with great fear, and were saying to one another , Who then is this person, that even the wind and the sea obey him?"
taken from Kenneth Wuest New testament expanded translation, but I have found that the amplified is similar.

So why do I persist in telling you this? Do I go seeking storms to make a display of power? God forbid! I tell you this because I care about you, Storms come that is for certain. You have to be educated in how to handle them both in sailing storm tactics, and in this way.

I think He put this in the Bible to teach us how to handle storms because He loves us.
And I love you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2004

928frenzy is on a distinguished road

Actually, "He" didn''t put it in a bible - men did. You either believe what they wrote was inspired by a Supreme Being or you don''t. You obviously do. Others do not.

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 10-18-2004

SailinJay is on a distinguished road

928--

Believe me, I understand completely your compulsion to respond to this stuff, but you have to let it go. You''ve stated your case quite well over the months, but no matter what you say, no matter how much sense it makes, they will always come back with a response because they believe their viewpoint is the only one that is true or that matters.
Old 10-18-2004

SailinJay:
Of course, you are correct. Perhaps if I post non-religious messages on religious forums they may get the point that there''s a proper place for these messages, and unsolicited messages that have nothing to do with the subject matter are not welcome. However, I would never do that since I follow the "Golden Rule".

Old 10-18-2004

flicker is on a distinguished road

Frenzy,

With all sincerity and respect, why do you respond to these posts? As I''ve said before, I think you are closer to the subject that you argue against (Christianity and the Bible) than most people are who claim to be adherents. For Pete''s sake; you''re tilting at windmills. This windmill just happens to be named bwalker42, and happens to say that she cares for your soul.

Nonetheless, I will point out that I have already given what I think is an adequate answer to your comment about your posting of "non-religious messages on religious forums" where "they may get the point that there''s a proper place for these messages, and unsolicited messages that have nothing to do with the subject matter are not welcome". So far, you are, by and large, the one who is trying to make people feel unwelcome based on the criteria of a particular set of ways of thinking (that is, "religious" thinking) that you yourself decide makes their comments unwelcome. I now challenge you to even try to do what you say will be so abhorent and see that it is not so abhorent as you would like to think. That is, try to post sailing messages on so-called religious bulletin boards and see how they respond to you. I expect that you will be surprised. Or, at least, you will be treated in a manner far different than you treat the religious protion of this bulletin board. If you really try to engage religious folk in the outlandish beauties of sailing and if they chastise you, then come back and tell us so. If they welcome you in, then welcome in the religious commentary that you have fought so hard up until this point to quell. As for your "Golden Rule", I doubt that you really want to be shunned by religious bulletin boards anyway. So why shun others.

Anyway, I don''t know of any actual "religious" bulleting boards, but I''m sure many exist. You have a keen and inquisitive, if biased, mind; engage these people that you find on these boards. You might learn more about them and, at the same time, you might just open up a whole new world of sailing for them.

Good luck.
Chas
Old 10-18-2004
Banned

(In caring teaching tone of voice) Since you were the first to respond, would you care to give an unbiased comment on verse 6 of Psalms Ch 8 and how that relates to the sailing verse 8, please?
Old 10-18-2004

I don''t know. I don''t have a clue what the author meant or intended. Since he''s dead, it may be hard for anyone alive to come up with the true meaning. That''s especially the case in writings that have been translated so many times (perhaps incorrectly) that the English version may have little resemblance to the original.

I''ll let you decide for yourself what you think it means. To me, it doesn''t matter.

BTW, the Annapolis boat show was very interesting. I actually learned a few things, some of which will save me both time and money. Now THAT is both important is a real sailing topic!

Old 10-25-2004
Banned

No.
Old 10-26-2004

Izabella01 is on a distinguished road

I cannot believe you are still here harassing some of us..
have you no life that you persist in this nonsense?

i know you are NOT a boat person so what IS your point ???

It has not worked. and point in fact.. since i have reacently been the victim of a born again who passed on half truths to a dockmaster who will not allow me to live in my husbands boat until he returns from out of the country.. oh yes, I know who did it..
a broker will lose a listing and a marina a boat.. we will move her in december and
the marina will be sued for the cost of my hotel room.
oh and dear.. this has caused me to absolutely hate born again christians.
just proves my point there was a reason some ppl no longer are dockmasters.

Old 10-26-2004
Banned

Izabella,
I spent all weekend out on the water. It''s not good to falsely accuse or hate people. As for me I choose to do the Word of God that says "Love your enemies" (what would I do without God Himself reminding me of these things) and "Pray for those that despitefully use and persecute you." since we all are doing the Word of God one way or the other. ie. We are either performing it as a believer, or an unbeliever, for righteousness or unrighteousness.

I am sorry to hear of your troubles, You''ve got to find a way to get over it and move on. Forgiveness is a healing salve that works wonders in all cases. But I have a feeling that you have not been completely honest with God, and yourself. When you can do that, you will find the peace in life that you are looking for. It sounds like God is dealing with you, just submit yourself to him, get in a good Church where He has put you. Go to the Pastor that He has assigned to you and get prayed for.

As for me, I will still chose to forgive and love, even as imperfect as I am.

"The fine line between love and hate is forgiveness."

Quotable quote by Brenda Walker

BTW My poem "Pledge" is being published again this time with the Worlds Greatest Poets.

Fair Weather