Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2013

db27513 is on a distinguished road
Flexible holding tank location

Im turning over a Hunter Legend 355. Its original aluminum holding tank (problematic in this boat Im told) was removed and the head was plumbed directly overboard.

If I install a holding tank in its original location, the head will have a run of about 7ft, up hill about 18". Seems to me this is a ridiculous way to do this, as the entire line would need to be flushed every time, with only the joker valve holding back whatever is left in the hose.

So the thought is to install a flexible holding tank in a cavity under the aft berth, but below the head. Everything runs downhill. Understand they are not as rigorous as plastic or fiberglass, but it can be removed, washed out or replaced quite easily..

Am I thinking straight here? Tank size is 14.5 gal, a little small, but this is a flipper, so as long as Im legal, it shouldn't be a problem selling.

Dave aboard Sugar Too
New Bern, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Flexible holding tank location

I like that location, better than original.. but with that kind of (good) access I'd be tempted to put a proper, rigid tank in that space and up the capacity as much as you can. Even as a 'flipper' I think this would be a good selling point - ie new holding tank (a known issue, as you say) but with usable capacity and a demonstrable improvement over the original setup.

Seeing as the tank and fittings would be almost in a 'living/sleeping' space I think you want the most secure, odor free possibilities at play.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-19-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by db27513 View Post
Am I thinking straight here? Tank size is 14.5 gal, a little small, but this is a flipper, so as long as Im legal, it shouldn't be a problem selling.
I considered a flexible holding tank on previous boat, but changed my mind after doing some research. Apparently, the odors can get embedded in the tank material and eventually permeate through causing quite a stink. Being a flipper, I assume cost is one of the factors you're considering and in my research, quality flexible tanks were as much or more than hard plastic tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2013

Thanks for the feedback. Still thinking am going the flex route. Will do a little more research first. Anything below the head on this boat has to be relatively shallow, and hard tank just not an option, unless I custom build, or put it in elevated spot.

Dave aboard Sugar Too
New Bern, NC
Old 11-20-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

If you just want to flip the boat, then way are you concerned about to original location of the tank? You will not be using it. And I assume it is ready to go with thru deck fittings and access. I would not modify from the original design, but that's just me.

If the hose rises up 20" (you said 18" up to the tank) at the head then everything in the hose from there past that rise would not be an issue or chance of coming back thru the joker valve.

I think you might want to think about what the buyers surveyor is going to think about the modification? Any surveyors here?

Last edited by Delta-T; 11-20-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-20-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

I bought my boat with two flexible holding tanks.

My advice as to the best place to install flexible holding tanks is on someone else's boat.

My boat always smelled a little like a sewer and nothing worked while those bags were on board. Took them out and the smell was gone.

YMMV but for me - never again.
mitiempo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 11-20-2013

doug1957 is on a distinguished road

Had a flexible holding tank when I bought the boat and it leaked around the gaskets for the input/output lines. Could never get it tight enough not to leak. Put in a plastic tank. Boatyard's comment was, "We replace a lot of these."
Old 11-20-2013

ok, I hear ya all.. Flexibles not good.

Tell me how the original design is good: Manual Jabsco (everyone has probably sat on one of these at one time or another). Output of bowl leaves the base through the joker valve into the hose. Hose run is under aft berth, slightly up hill, 6 - 7 ft, through a bulk head, and up 18 - 20" to the inlet of the tank. Unless Im nutz, every flush must clear the hose of all effluent.. at least 1 - 2 gals. If the line isnt cleared, then sh*t sits in the line, only prevented from back filling the bowl by the joker..

Tell me how this is a good design?

Dave aboard Sugar Too
New Bern, NC
Old 11-21-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Totally 'get' that you want to move the tank closer to the head.. makes sense, and I've seen that the original location has poor access to boot.

Just think you ought to go to the effort of having a rigid tank made for the underbunk area you want to use now..

Best of luck however you go!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-21-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

For 1.5" hose you need about 11' to hold a gallon.
Maybe you are over thinking this.

It is not ideal to have a gallon of water in the hose but not the end of the world as long as it is good hose and you flush it through once in a while.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.