Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Missing Boat Found- No Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute_ZS View Post
If you put a hip flask on the bottom of that with enough hose to reach your ankle it's called a "Motorman's Friend".
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
If you put a hip flask on the bottom of that with enough hose to reach your ankle it's called a "Motorman's Friend".
I don't even want to think about that..
Old 11-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

While I don't think they are necessary for being at the helm, I thought I would also introduce you all to the idea of the condom catheter. Just like it sounds, its a condom with a tube off the end that goes to a bag strapped to you leg. Easily available in med supply stores. Available as disposable or more sturdy washable versions.

We used them for long, typically decompression diving. Naturally, you can't unzip underwater. Some would use them in the cockpit, but only in specific circumstances.

One might consider the idea, if you have a long watch with layers of insulation and overall foulies. Actually, it takes some minor psychological mastery to just start peeing in your pants.
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-21-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
condom catheter. )
Why can't people use the Head down below? Was it. Built for a joke?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

cause sometimes you just CANT...really! things happen and you cant take a break....especialy alone
Old 11-21-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
cause sometimes you just CANT...really! things happen and you cant take a break....especialy alone
Oh twaddle! Utter total twaddle!

I've single handed 15,000 nms or more including into and out of New York, down the ICW, Gibralter straits and much more andI can find the time to go below.

To say that someone can't is just plain ignorant! If people can't sail well enough to piss in the right place they should stay at their marina.

Mark

Old 11-21-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

thats your opinion..

and this isnt my penis is bigger than yours contest either but in my 24k nm sailing history I HAVE been in instances where I just cant go down...

that might be becaise I usually sail more simple boats with only maybe one form of self steering, or maybe it might be that I unfortunately got in a situation that I couldnt take a quick break from the helm...who knows? not the point!

man!!!!!!!!

is it that hard to beleive that other people have other points of view?

I mean what if your autopilot failed, and you lost something oevrboard, or your sail got stuck, or whatever I mean there are infinite scenarios...yet you think there will ALWAYS be a chance to go down into the head and sit down and take a pee?

man

its not all about what I think...we must always see other points of view
Old 11-21-2013

Steve in Idaho is on a distinguished road

One of the more common ways that experienced river runners drown is from foot entrapment. River current running even as slow as 4 mph (< 3.5 knots) can hold a body under if the foot is snagged in a crevice or tangled on a line - even when wearing the typical pfd. One of the dangers that is covered in swift water safety courses is that of entanglement in loose line. The difficulty of reaching and releasing a line from your foot in moving water is surprising to the uninitiated. It doesn't take much current or movement through the water for the drag to become overpowering. For what it's worth - in swift water rescue training, they teach you to float on your back when being pulled in on a line. Rescue pfd vests have the attachment point on the back for the same reason (so you can breath).

How that all translates to the subject at hand is beyond me - but I think I will just avoid falling out.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 11-21-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

steve in idaho and others...perfect example of what you are just talking about just happened...middle aged man...couldnt get back on board his boat...being dragged, holding on for dear life...

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/...0#.Uo4wZOKvmu5

this happens a lot on the bay btw...
casey1999 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
Steve in Idaho (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013

Steve in Idaho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
steve in idaho and others...perfect example of what you are just talking about just happened...middle aged man...couldnt get back on board his boat...being dragged, holding on for dear life...

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

this happens a lot on the bay btw...
A lot to think about there. Thanks.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.