SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Missing Boat Found- No Skipper (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/106537-missing-boat-found-no-skipper.html)

casey1999 11-18-2013 09:28 PM

Missing Boat Found- No Skipper

Missing sailboat found adrift with no one aboard - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

I had posted this story several weeks back when the boat went missing. Boat is found, but tragicaly, no skipper.

denverd0n 11-19-2013 11:11 AM

Re: Missing Boat Found- No Skipper

I'm surprised they left the boat adrift. I would have expected them to either tow it in, or scuttle it.

In any case, tragic. Have to wonder if this is one of those situations where a little carelessness resulted in the captain falling overboard.

azguy 11-19-2013 11:35 AM

Strange tragedy, I guess anything could have happened while under sail...

What happens to the boat, isn't it a danger to navigation :confused:

christian.hess 11-19-2013 11:37 AM

most common cause of this tragedy is peeing over the rail..unfortunately we all do it...sad really but we will never know what REALLY happened

MarkofSeaLife 11-19-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christian.hess (Post 1136553)
peeing over the rail..unfortunately we all do it...

No we all do not pee over the side. What a stupid, unsafe thing to do! Even in Harbour at anchor, or at a marina peeing over the can be fatal with one slip and the bang on the head.

I hope this guy didn't die that useless and wasteful way.

But for anyone reading this please remember that peeing over the side is an absolute no-no.

Mark

krisscross 11-19-2013 11:52 AM

That story makes me think of all the chances I took and got away with it...
This was obviously an experienced skipper on a big, well founded boat. And he's now in Davy Jones' locker with his boat bobbing above... :/

ccriders 11-19-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christian.hess;
peeing over the rail..unfortunately we all do it..

Not true. Go to the drug store a buy a portable urinal and stop putting yourself and crew at risk.
John

azguy 11-19-2013 11:52 AM

Sometimes is just a mystery, I'm at a lake with a good size marina and we lost a guy this past summer as he apparently fell off the boat right at his slip and drowned. Total mystery....

capta 11-19-2013 12:00 PM

What I find most disconcerting about this tale is that on what should have been a 15 hour sail (if memory serves) in normal conditions, between two islands, quite close to one of the busiest airports, and one of our largest military bases, no one found this boat until it was 1300 miles away. It's not like there are many yachts sailing west from Hawaii; it should have been pretty easy to spot. Down wind (westish), hum, shouldn't that be the direction the search should have taken? No Gulfstream here, folks; wind and current both run the same way, for the most part. And with notification that it was missing within 48 hours??????
Nothing probably would have saved the skipper, but still; 1300 miles unseen. Wow.

azguy 11-19-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 1136673)
Nothing probably would have saved the skipper, but still; 1300 miles unseen. Wow.

isn't that like halfway to the mainland :confused: