Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
My take on the "Why do so many American boats have wheels" is simply...

1. Most people who by brand new boats in America are not really sailors, just people with money looking for something new to do. (Not all, but most, as evidenced by all the new boats that never get sailed)

2. To a non-sailor, tillers are old-school and low tech. Seeing a tiller makes some people wonder if they are still using natural fiber sails and tar sealed wood hulls as well. Wheels are new and high tech and fancy. Cars have wheels, power boats have wheels, why would a sail boat be stuck in the old days of a tiller?

3. If the people with the money are turned off by the sight of a tiller, then no tillers will be installed, regardless of all the finer points either way. Most large manufacturers will go with what sells first, without regard for which would be better for this particular hull, shape, size, weight, design of boat. Only your more specialized manufacturers who tailor to the real sailors with lower volume boats will take that into account.

Not saying wheels are always bad, and tillers are always good, I think the points of what makes sense and when have already been covered by far more knowledgeable people then me. But for me, I am happy with the tiller I have, mostly because it is on the boat that I have.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
With a tiller you know when you are over canvassed or trimmed incorrectly - the weather helm is a lot more obvious.
Sorry Brian, but I disagree. We just went from tiller steering on Catalina 27's to wheel steering on a Mirage 29. Weather helm and trim are very discernible.

The BIG advantage of tiller steering is that there are fewer moving parts to break.

I tend to like tiller steering on smaller boats; wheel steering on bigger (+ 30 ft?) boats. As for room in the cockpit, my experience suggests that it is six of one; one half dozen of another. They both take up room--just in different ways.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-02-2010

ffiill is on a distinguished road
On my old 28 foot Bermudan sloop it was a tiller.On my 33 foot motor sailer its a wheel.Hydraulic pumpactuated by wheel operates a hydraulic ram through non return valve.
You can steer with your index finger and once balanced take your hands off the wheel and do something else like navigate.Very useful when like me you are single handed.
Old 11-02-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
IslanderGuy - I disagree with the first 2 points.

I think that wheels are easier to use for many novices. Just like a car. I also think that a wheel takes less space while underway. Wheels certainly are more costly to manufacture and can breakdown (at the most inopportune times). With that said, I'm equally at home with either. As other said, there are pros and cons.
Old 11-02-2010

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderGuy View Post
My take on the "Why do so many American boats have wheels" is simply...

1. Most people who by brand new boats in America are not really sailors, just people with money looking for something new to do. (Not all, but most, as evidenced by all the new boats that never get sailed)

2. To a non-sailor, tillers are old-school and low tech. Seeing a tiller makes some people wonder if they are still using natural fiber sails and tar sealed wood hulls as well. Wheels are new and high tech and fancy. Cars have wheels, power boats have wheels, why would a sail boat be stuck in the old days of a tiller?

3. If the people with the money are turned off by the sight of a tiller, then no tillers will be installed, regardless of all the finer points either way. Most large manufacturers will go with what sells first, without regard for which would be better for this particular hull, shape, size, weight, design of boat. Only your more specialized manufacturers who tailor to the real sailors with lower volume boats will take that into account.

Not saying wheels are always bad, and tillers are always good, I think the points of what makes sense and when have already been covered by far more knowledgeable people then me. But for me, I am happy with the tiller I have, mostly because it is on the boat that I have.
LMAO!!!

I am so surprised that you would come out "for" the tiller!

In dinghy's where a wheel cannot fit, they are the only choice. Where the option exists, the wheel is always preferred. The barrier is cost.

I have no fond memories of the chaos created by tacking, with a tiller, with guests in the cockpit. If you wish to entertain friends on your boat, the tiller olympics is not really the way to go.
Old 11-03-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
... but you could easily enough. It's just a trip to a fabricator, some holes drilled, bits bolted, bedded, and there you go!
That's not so easy and there are disadvantages. If it was as plain as that, all modern tiller boats would come with that stuff as standard

You would have to have those metal parts mounted on each side of the boat, and it would take a lot of space to the cockpit, interfering with the seating space (those parts are for having a support while steering from the upper part, near the rail), and those metal pieces would probably also interfere with opening parts of the boat (I don't know how you call it) I mean the place under the seats where you have the storage on the cockpit.

Yes you can have ones, but they have a cost and not only in price. There are tiller boats (modern ones, with large transom) that doesn't even offer them as an option, none that I know off offer them as standard and some, like the new First 30 offer them as an option (nice ones) .

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-03-2010 at 06:44 AM.