Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Google Glass and it's effect on sailing

Personally, I can understand the need to have a law that prevents people from reading texts, watching videos, etc whilst driving. Got no problem with GGlass being included under such laws either.

That said, the dispute still seems to revolve around "was the GGlass device on or off whilst driving". From what I can tell, the law does not prevent displays from being in view - just using them whilst driving (otherwise one could never mount their phone on their dash, for example).

GGlass might have a law/regulation passed in the future that prohibits them from being worn (and I can easily see this), but at the time of the incident - it would appear that the case will be decided based on the credibility of her testimony the device wasn't on. Not that wearing it is prohibited.
Old 12-04-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

FWIW, after a spate of accidents down here recently (one in particular on the Monash where a female car driver was killed by a truck), I've heard that the powers-that-be are considering banning even hands-free phone calls - ie. driver's phone off and in the glove box. The effect that would have on cars/car makers selling in-built Bluetooth hands-free systems can only be imagined.

Last edited by Classic30; 12-04-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2013

BentSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
FWIW, after a spate of accidents down here recently (one in particular on the Monash where a female car driver was killed by a truck), I've heard that the powers-that-be are considering banning even hands-free phone calls. The effect that would have on cars/car makers selling in-built Bluetooth hands-free systems can only be imagined.
Won't happen. Even the coroner who would like to see it implemented (activist judge! ) acknowledged it would be difficult (to impossible) to enforce such a change to the law. I've not heard anything more than the coroner's opinion making the rounds either - not even the usual politicians selling a "quick fix". Interested to see who they are if so.

More importantly, talking on the phone is no more distracting than talking to someone in the car, both are conversations taking part of your attention from the road and with the phone the instinct to make eye contact is removed from the equation.

Too hard to police, too many cars with features built specifically to break the law on the roads, and no practical difference between it and talking to someone in the back seat. Combine that with the rarity of accidents that can be attributed to hands-free (as opposed to the large number that were connected to texting-whilst-driving), and you get something the politicians will not wear the heat to implement.
Old 12-04-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Of course there's the subtle (ha) distinction between what is and what isn't a distraction, and how the laws do or don't enumerate what will or won't be a distraction.

Kids in the back seat?

Passenger bitching about their problems?

Office, please, you can't run your computer or respond to dispatch on your radio--that's a distraction too.

Distraction? Gotta remove the car radio, the headlights, and thank god that so many drivers already have the good sense to ignore their highbeams and turn signals, all that stuff can really be distracting.

The sad bottom line is that the average US driver couldn't pass a licene test in Germany, France, or Finland, among other places. But then again, something like 1:8 US drivers doesn't have a license now anyway. (The numbers vary from about 1:4 in Florida to 1:12 in some better places.)

Maybe...maybe....gee, maybe we should just get the amateurs off the road? And make parallel parking while on a cell phone part of the road test? T-turn while breaking up the kids in the back seat?
christian.hess likes this.
Old 12-05-2013

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road

Why do I need this gizmo on a cruising vessel?
Old 12-05-2013

skelmir is on a distinguished road

So when you are unsure what to do in a particular meeting situation you could say: "Ok Glass, Google COLREGS". Or better yet you could say it over the VHF and the "offending" boater would be presented with info on COLREGS in his/her Glass.

Just be careful not to integrate any actual boat functions with your Google Glass or it might be too tempting to say "Ok Glass, Release Windlass" over the VHF. But of course your anchor shouldn't just hang from the windlass ...
Old 12-05-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Of course there's the subtle (ha) distinction between what is and what isn't a distraction, and how the laws do or don't enumerate what will or won't be a distraction.

Kids in the back seat?

Passenger bitching about their problems?

Office, please, you can't run your computer or respond to dispatch on your radio--that's a distraction too.

Distraction? Gotta remove the car radio, the headlights, and thank god that so many drivers already have the good sense to ignore their highbeams and turn signals, all that stuff can really be distracting.

The sad bottom line is that the average US driver couldn't pass a licene test in Germany, France, or Finland, among other places. But then again, something like 1:8 US drivers doesn't have a license now anyway. (The numbers vary from about 1:4 in Florida to 1:12 in some better places.)

Maybe...maybe....gee, maybe we should just get the amateurs off the road? And make parallel parking while on a cell phone part of the road test? T-turn while breaking up the kids in the back seat?

if you think drivers are bad there, DO not drive down here...somalia is better as there are less cars!
Old 12-05-2013
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Ok, now I feel like a total tool as it would appear the "general sailing related thread" has turned into a "no cellphones" thread, and I happened to waste my life away in all the responses to this point.

I personally hate cellphones, but if you were to ban them completely (and you can't), these same poor drivers would be crashing while changing radio stations.

As for Google Glass, I could see a future where the device would be EXTREMELY helpful. Imagine a low light (sunset?) departure. Hard to see the marks on the horizon (light pollution stinks). The glass highlights the viewfinder to point general direction to channel marks. THIS is why a cruiser might like it! Layout a virtual yellow brick road to depart upon, through the channel. Interface with AIS? Sweet! VHF, using some kind of bluetooth like interface? Sweet!

Polarized version? Looks like they had a sunglasses version (for the cost the damned things should be at least a transitions lens)...

As far as android being "unstable" or "full of ads." Apparently your iWhatever was never in the hands of your kids. My daughters iPod Touch is a plethora of bad advertising in lieu of paid applications. Advertising like Bent said is a way to pay for apps people wouldn't normally waste money on! You get what you pay for, always applies. For the record Navioncs crashed my iphone 4 on a regular basis... ran like a top on my Droid Razr MAXX... depends on what else you run on the device, its NOT all about the platform sometimes.

A decent overlay navigation application integrated into sunglasses (or better) polarized sunglasses would be a COOL app for such a device. To NOT see the future applications of such a powerful heads up wearable display is frankly wrong headed.

ONLY a true TOOL would rely soley on any device/computer... But then morons drive off of non-existent bridges (that are out for construction) in cars blindly following their NEVER UPDATED GPS. Seems to happen more often than anyone would care to admit. They are usually the same people though that never use their turn signals, and ignore other rights of way, once a tool always a tool.

What seems to be voiced here are the typical... Turn that damned noise off, and only a true sailor can sail with nothing other than wind and waves (implied shoe strings, and cardboard for boat I guess)... That reality is we rely on technology daily for everything we do... For instance, are you aware that a closed system computer is in NEARLY every car... Except for those of you folks still driving Model A Fords of course (and one of you wise akers will say you do, probably bought it new too).

I am an IT Manager by trade, and hate technology for what it turns people INTO. I am NOT against using technology, and relying on it when I deem it suitable for such application. NO way would I rely solely on 1 device no matter how reliable for my life, without some reasonable fail-safe or redundancy (again I run corporate networks, backups, fail safes, and redundancies are the name of the game).

Google glass has lots of potential. It's not quite there yet, but I'm interested enough to have put in for a request to try it. I think we are years away from something truly useful from it, but the potential is certainly there.

Hats off to you developers though... Very little reward for LOTS of sweat and time, for little pay. Sure it could pay off in spades, but rarely does.

Using the device for racing? I could see it quickly getting written into racing rules to now allow it if one person exploits it correctly. But if you look at the technology in software like "Sailing Tactician," and "Navionics" or some of the canned devices like are available for race telemetry (Tack-Tick race master for example), you will quickly realize THAT market would be ideal for something like glass. On top of that the entry point (price wise) would be cheaper (at least until you outfit the whole crew).

Just my worthless $0.02 now I've sufficiently wasted YOUR time... I feel justified in having wasted mine on this.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Old 12-05-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSailor View Post
More importantly, talking on the phone is no more distracting than talking to someone in the car, both are conversations taking part of your attention from the road and with the phone the instinct to make eye contact is removed from the equation.
This intuitively makes sense, but it's not what happens in reality according to a study by the University of Utah that's been replicated elsewhere.
Drivers Distracted More By Cell Phones Than By Passengers

"Drivers talking by cell phone drove significantly worse than drivers talking to passengers. The cell-phone users were more likely to drift in their lane, kept a greater distance between their car and the car in front, and were four times more likely to miss pulling off the highway at the rest area. Passenger conversation barely affected all three measures."

I've noticed this myself. I find it harder to pay proper attention to the road while I'm having a phone conversation than while talking to a passenger, even though my cell phone bluetooths into the car's stereo and a microphone in the rearview mirror.

This could tie in with sailing. You think you can take your eyes off all the gadgets and pay attention to your surroundings, but you might be more distracted than you realize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
if you think drivers are bad there, DO not drive down here...somalia is better as there are less cars!
I hear you! I've never driven in El Salvador, but I have driven in your neighbor to the north, Guatemala, and yikes!
Old 12-05-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

beleive it or not guatemala is worse, busses there fall deep into the jungle from cliffs as they couldnt care less...

war does this to many countries...you get numb...

we need more peace

sorry for the thread derrail...about google glass...so you know Im not full of it..since Im passionate ABOUT music I dont even turn on the radio while driving...especially down here

sounds have a huge impact on concentration...ask that to any interrogation officer and theyll tell you!

cheers

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.