Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Google Glass and it's effect on sailing

There's a LOT of information displayed on a plotter, put that much information on glasses in front of your eyes and you'll sail right into the side of a tanker. That's why heads up displays offer a minimum of critical information.

At 6 knots how much "real time" information do you need? Wind speed, depth? I can get that by glancing at the large displays on my binnacle.

How often do you glance down at the detail on your plotter while sailing? It's a reference that you check periodically, you certainly don't stare at it.

Plotters have become ubiquitous because they offer a real advantage over paper charts in the cockpit. I don't see google glasses offering that same kind of obvious advantage.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Is sort of technology for sailing can be amazing.

I can't wait to have a heads up display so wherever I am on board, or in bed, I can see exactly what's going on.

What a wonderful world it's turning into!

Mark
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 11-21-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

This could be a big benefit. When I am sailing, the LAST place I like to be is behind the wheel. But that is where most chart plotters are located. So to see that information you need to be somewhere in the back of the boat. Having a hands free way of viewing information could be very useful. With google glass you could be sitting in the side decks and have all the plotter information right in front of your eyes. I know that most modern plotters will now stream the display to an android or iOS device, but that's something you need to hold in your hand, that can easily get dropped, wet, or otherwise broken. I do use my phone to run a lite plotting program but having more information would be a benefit.

Do I think this will be a game changer? No. However, it certainly will be useful. I image that short handed sailors, especially racers, and others like that will be using it.

Barry
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

For me, the whole point of going sailing is to be disconnected from the rest of the world. I spend all day being bombarded by technology and demands for my attention. On the boat, the only demand is the boat. The last thing I would want is to look at something on the shore and a damn great pop-up advert blocks my vision (you just know that is going to happen). I just don't think there is that much information that *has* to be in front of your eyes all the time on a sailboat. Perhaps if you are an AC racer then yes, I can see how you might find it useful, but for most us, well, we aren't moving along at several hundred miles an hour and things just don't happen that quick.
JimMcGee, vega1860, DJR351 and 2 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post

This doesn't even touch virtual reality of incorporating AIS. When AIS targets within range you can see it pop up on display when you look in its direction (think fighter jet helmet). Or charts, seeing landmarks or structures on display, depth curves and semi submerged objects..

I'm not even getting into voice commands, just imagine asking for speed or course, or how far till way point. Voice can interact with above topics/paragraphs...
Coming soon to a marina near you, FIREFOX, the boat.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 11-21-2013

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Sounds all cool and stuff but it's still a piece of electronics to fail, fall off face or OB and in the end you'll still want the old school tech for back up and double checks
Chart plotters fail, compasses can break, a mast can fall, sails can rip.. There's always what if.. But if you exercise proper prudence with anything it reduces those chances.. And old school tech? What's old school these days? Compass? Gyro Compass? Radar? Gas? They have la all been around for at least 2 decades.. I'm not asking yall to throw your binnacle away in favor of this, I'm saying don't knock it till you understand it. A good seaman will always have redundant stations(see: prudence)

-sent from sea via corked bottle
Old 11-21-2013

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
There's a LOT of information displayed on a plotter, put that much information on glasses in front of your eyes and you'll sail right into the side of a tanker. That's why heads up displays offer a minimum of critical information.

At 6 knots how much "real time" information do you need? Wind speed, depth? I can get that by glancing at the large displays on my binnacle.

How often do you glance down at the detail on your plotter while sailing? It's a reference that you check periodically, you certainly don't stare at it.

Plotters have become ubiquitous because they offer a real advantage over paper charts in the cockpit. I don't see google glasses offering that same kind of obvious advantage.
It's only over one eye... So if you hit a tanker it's because you either were practicing good seamanship or you didn't take the patch over your other eye... Plus the lens where info is displayed is transparent (has anyone seen a corvette HUD?)

How often do you check your tack ticks or similar devices?

Cruisers may not see the whole potential of this but racers can definitely use this. All real time info without taking eyes off of driving or tell tales..

-sent from sea via corked bottle
christian.hess likes this.
Old 11-21-2013
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

yup for racers awesome...if Im cruising the last thing I want is something on my head, making me more sweaty and claustrophobic...I cant even stand wearing sunglasses in the tropic sun...it just does something to my brain...I really cant focus with stuff on my head! jajajajaja

for racing its for sure the future and now!
Old 11-21-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
For me, the whole point of going sailing is to be disconnected from the rest of the world. I spend all day being bombarded by technology and demands for my attention. On the boat, the only demand is the boat. The last thing I would want is to look at something on the shore and a damn great pop-up advert blocks my vision (you just know that is going to happen). I just don't think there is that much information that *has* to be in front of your eyes all the time on a sailboat. Perhaps if you are an AC racer then yes, I can see how you might find it useful, but for most us, well, we aren't moving along at several hundred miles an hour and things just don't happen that quick.
Paul is pretty close to the mark on this for me.

I'm not anti-technology, but I doubt Google will allow me the luxury of restricting my display to "sailing data" on my Google Glass. I'll be bombarded with texts, email and advertisements. There's no way in hell, that I will go out sailing with all of that in my vision.

I see the value for racers, not so much for cruisers (and I do both).

Plus, I wear prescription eye glasses now. I absolutely HATE them when I'm sailing, and I switch to contact lenses. I'm not about to put on contact lenses so that I can go sailing with a Google Glass strapped to my head. I want to be free, and unencumbered.

Once, I left my phone ringer on by accident while sailing. My phone rang, and I foolishly answered it out of concern that one of my daughters might be trying to contact me. You can imagine my rage when it turned out to be a telemarketer interrupting my moment of Zen out on the water.

I might own a Google Glass someday, but it'll be off, shoved into the galley drawer while I'm sailing.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 11-21-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

... Coming into harbor just now we had a tug boat coming the other way in a narrow-ish channel. My 'Glass showed it was the 'Lasy Susan' about to spin my world around. Indeed, the AIS prediction had it passing very close to me in 2 minutes and 20 seconds. I stared at the words 'Lazy Susan' on the Glass and then winked. VFH went live, with his ID already dialed in.

"Lazy Susan, this is the sailing vessel Rag Dryer, off your bow", I said.

About this time I glanced to my port, blinked a long slow blink and brought up the depth overlay, adjusted for the present tide height. It was too shallow to go there. The Active Captain link was working too, as there was an unmarked piling 100 yards off, one of several obstructions in the area. It looked good to the starboard, but it meant backtracking a bit. And he might be headed that way.

"Rag Dryer, Lazy Susan", was the reply. Voice recognition took a second, it's usually pretty slow like that. Finally, up popped the name Vincent Boatsalot, age 42, divorced twice, 3 kids, smoker, failed a drug test back in 05. It was dismissed because he ate a poppy bagel that morning. The retest the next day was fine. No DUIs. Tax payer. Good credit rating. Jets fan.

My 'Glass told me that his 'Glass was looking at me. I can only assume my 'Glass was informing his 'Glass that I was looking at him. (And there was another sailboat in the distance looking at each of us.)

"Are you taking the turn to your port or continuing straight", I said.

"We're going straight; suggest 1 whistle.", was the reply. Those tug drivers are good.

So I glanced up at the autopilot icon and did the usual wink nod and look to the right. The boat immediately changed course.

Then I took a sip of my coffee and went back to listening to my favorite 80s channel. The coffee was good so that I order another pound to be delivered to the marina and twittered how much I liked it. That done, I took another sip.

As the tug passed, I brought up VHF with his ID again and said "Go Jets".

I was surprised at the reply as he said "80s music rocks, Bene505."

Two blinks later and we were following each other on Instagram, so I DVR-ed back a couple minutes, edited the screen shot and posted a picture of his fine ship. He immediately liked it and hash-tagged it for his friends to see, at #tugsunderway.

Then I took another sip, slowed the boat down and left my hammock on the bow to get a refill.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.

Last edited by Bene505; 11-21-2013 at 11:39 AM.