Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: Google Glass and it's effect on sailing

Many good points made here. While I'm not necessarily with the nay sayers here, I would caution, "don't be the first in line". Unless the marine industry can team up with other industries, marine quality HUDs will be too expensive for all save the wealthiest/best sponsored boats.
If the functions displayed can be programmed to those you most need, like a radar/sonar paint of where you are looking or AIS targets that could be where you want to go, then they could be very valuable. But wind speed? How frequently do you need that? And what degree of accuracy? When to put in a reef is a very intuitive, learned process, not done when the apparent wind is 18.6023 kts.
Etc.
John
DJR351 and christian.hess like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
... Coming into harbor just now we had a tug boat coming the other way in a narrow-ish channel. My 'Glass showed it was the 'Lasy Susan' about to spin my world around. Indeed, the AIS prediction had it passing very close to me in 2 minutes and 20 seconds. I stared at the words 'Lazy Susan' on the Glass and then winked. VFH went live, with his ID already dialed in.
Brad here's my preferred version of coming into the harbor.

I check AIS on the plotter and hail the tug on my VHF. We quickly work out the details and wave as we pass. I check out the heron fishing along the shore and take a minute to appreciate how that pretty Alden in the first marina looks in the setting sun.

My cell phone, laptop and tablet are all below and turned off so no one can bother me until Monday.

I take a nice deep sniff of that wonderful salt marsh smell along the shore and ponder a tumbler of Pusser's, one ice cube and a sunset.

I can't much see how Google can improve on that...
Markwesti and christian.hess like this.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 11-21-2013 at 01:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimMcGee For This Useful Post:
Markwesti (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013

Markwesti is on a distinguished road

Man I'm gonna get me those Google glasses , I'm gonna get on my Segway ride down to the marina and go sailing ! How cool would that be ? Um I'm thinking dork factor times 10.
christian.hess likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Markwesti For This Useful Post:
christian.hess (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

those damn segways, they are not scooters, or wheelchairs they are the utter DORK machine

x2!

I hate them more because I once worked in a restaurant where there was a customer that always RODE into the dining area...making a mess...hitting tables, and everything and his excuse was its like a wheelchair I have the right to do so...

not even my dad who suffered from MD for 30 years ever had this attitude
The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
Markwesti (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013

Markwesti is on a distinguished road

Hey christian, maybe that guy needed a sailing app.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 11-21-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

YEAH to get from his ass to his head and back! jajajaja
Old 11-21-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
Chart plotters fail, compasses can break, a mast fall, sails can rip.. There always what if.. But if you exercise proper prudence with anything it reduces those chances.. And old school tech? What's old school these days? Compass? Gyro Compass? Radar? Gas? They have la all been around for at least 2 decades.. I'm not asking yall to throw your binnacle away in favor of this, I'm saying don't knock it till you understand it. A good seaman will always have redundant stations(see: prudence)

-sent from sea via corked bottle
I understand HUD tech and I'm not dismissing it , I just don't see it as a viable or reliable sailing tool just simply another cumbersome toy.

What I meant by old school was navigation tools that we all have on our boats today that are not that far removed from the navigation tools on boats centuries ago, tools that don't need upgrading every five year, that don't need tech support and the only source of power needed is sitting on your shoulders.

I think seamanship suffers when reliance on high tech clouds your mind and that is nothing more than my personal opinion.
DJR351 likes this.
Old 11-21-2013
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'

SailRedemption is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
I understand HUD tech and I'm not dismissing it , I just don't see it as a viable or reliable sailing tool just simply another cumbersome toy.

What I meant by old school was navigation tools that we all have on our boats today that are not that far removed from the navigation tools on boats centuries ago, tools that don't need upgrading every five year, that don't need tech support and the only source of power needed is sitting on your shoulders.

I think seamanship suffers when reliance on high tech clouds your mind and that is nothing more than my personal opinion.
I'm sure the old salts said chart plotters were just cumbersome toys when they first came out, not keeping an open mind on the future potential of the new technology.

Seamanship doesn't suffer from reliance on high tech, they are aids. Aids not crutches. If using good seamanship is used nothing should cloud anything. Knowledge is power and the more you know the better it is. Having that knowledge that much closer and available to you the better and safer.

I see we disagree on this somehow, I'm not sure if you are discouraging this because it's "new" or because it's unknown to you... From what I take out of it, we shouldn't rely on AIS, radar, electronic charts, depth sounders, etc because a sailor could rely on these for travels. I guess we all just need to whip out our sextants and lead line in between tacks when coming into port so we know we're in the correct waters.

It's beyond me how technology(not just this) gets shutdown because it's "new" and unproven,(fiberglass was here at one time, I guess this wood guys sure showed them). Just like gps, this is new technology that is barely out of infancy. You shouldn't knock progression. If it isn't for you that's fine.

I formally agree to disagree, respectfully.

Old 11-21-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
From what I take out of it, we shouldn't rely on AIS, radar, electronic charts, depth sounders, etc because a sailor could rely on these for travels. I guess we all just need to whip out our sextants and lead line in between tacks when coming into port so we know we're in the correct waters.

It's beyond me how technology(not just this) gets shutdown because it's "new" and unproven,(fiberglass was here at one time, I guess this wood guys sure showed them). Just like gps,
this is new technology that is barely out of infancy. You shouldn't knock progression. If it isn't for you that's fine.

I formally agree to disagree, respectfully.

That's not what he's saying.

From a new F.A.A. report due out shortly:

"...pilots rely too much on automation in the cockpit and are losing basic flying skills. Relying too heavily on computer-driven flight decks now poses the biggest threats to airliner safety world-wide, the study concluded. The results can range from degraded manual-flying skills to poor decision-making to possible erosion of confidence among some aviators when automation abruptly malfunctions or disconnects during an emergency."

This is not new tech, I worked on HUD systems 40 years ago on attack aircraft in the Navy, and there were problems then with target-fixation and pilot distraction. That's why they had to convert some aircraft to 2-seaters, the 2nd seat for someone to handle all the electronic wizardry while the other guy kept the plane from falling out of the sky. Even today our newest ships are having accidents because people are letting tech take the place of basic seamanship,- and those folk are professionals. What makes you think recreational boaters will be less susceptible to error?

Used judiciously and conscienciously, this latest gizmo may be a useful *tool* in the hands of someone who has basic "old-school" seamanship down to a second nature. To me it seems a little too much like driving-and-texting,- and you know how badly wrong that can go.

P.S.
Your signature lacks something in technophilic flavor,- may I suggest replacing "corked bottle" with "subspace tachyon beam"?
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Talk about timing,- I couldn't dream this up:

Dream lift-off! Jumbo cargo jet back in the air after landing at wrong Kansas airport
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.