Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: Google Glass and it's effect on sailing

I'll get one of those when I can find it on craigslist for under 100 bucks.
Old 11-21-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

I think I'll just upload my route waypoints to the cloud and let it interface with you guys' google glasses to get me from here to there without my interference...I'll be in my bunk...
Old 11-21-2013

Missingyou is on a distinguished road

I just wish I could see my tachometer without standing on my head.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
The translation with automatic overlay is amazing and makes you wonder if you'll need a chart plotter in the future when it's already built into your eye glasses.
Hell, this stuff makes me wonder whether you'll actually need to go sailing at all :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
If I can add in virtual bikini babes to my foredeck then I'll get a pair, but otherwise I don't really see the point.
I'll take mine with the X-Ray Vision feature, what's the point if you can't see through those bikinis, after all?

Hope they plan to make polarized versions, I'd still need that for sailing in places like the Bahamas... Although, probably by then, Goggle will have charted every single coral head on the planet, anyway, there will be no longer be any need to keep an eye out for the damn things :-)

One sentence in that article really jumped out at me, though perhaps those who've never played golf may not appreciate its significance:

Quote:

Similarly, GolfSight can let you know where you are on a golf course, how far you are from the green, and what hazards are between you and it without having to dive into a phone.
For me, golf has always been a truly mystical game... As a boy, much of my best 'thinking' occurred on the water in a small sailboat, or on a golf course... I simply can't fathom having to pull out an electronic device to obtain a sense of "where I am on a golf course", or what lies between me and the pin...

A read of Michael Murphy's wondrous GOLF IN THE KINGDOM would likely pass right over the heads of those so eager to embrace these sorts of 'advances', different strokes for different folks...

This world continues to pass me by, but that's OK, I still somehow manage to get out there from time to time... :-)

Quote:

Golf is a game to teach you about the message from within, about the
subtle voices of the body-mind. And once you understand them you can
more clearly see your `hamartia', the ways in which you approach to
the game reflects your entire life. Nowhere does a man go so naked.

--Michael Murphy (Golf in the Kingdom)

Old 11-21-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Well, a pretty basic 737 was landed on Cabiniss Field about 4.5 miles from its destination Corpus Christi international. The physical differences between the airports is sufficient that someone looking out the window would say "Uh oh". But the fact remains electronic navigation systems have reduced errors over the last three or four decades, and more is in store.
But for plain old sailboats (POSs?) one of those helmets would be worth more than the boat, so instead of sailing, we would go out computing?
John
Old 11-21-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
But for plain old sailboats (POSs?) one of those helmets would be worth more than the boat, so instead of sailing, we would go out computing?
John
Hey, there's an idea. Instead of going out and getting all wind-blown and salty, we can all sit around the warm, cozy, bar wearing silly helmets and "virtually racing" each other...

Ignoring for a minute the fact that kids everywhere do that now on their parent's iPads - just how stoopid would that be?? Don't answer that..

I mean, instead of formal race protests once everyone is off the water and cooled down a bit we can have immediate punch-ups in the bar... and it's okay to ram other boats because, they're not real anyway so no damage done. Yes, what a great idea.

Last edited by Classic30; 11-21-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2013

BentSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I'm not anti-technology, but I doubt Google will allow me the luxury of restricting my display to "sailing data" on my Google Glass. I'll be bombarded with texts, email and advertisements. There's no way in hell, that I will go out sailing with all of that in my vision.
Well, I can at least speak authoratively to this bit. Google allows one to turn off all notifications of texts, emails, etc and the only advertisements you'll be "forced" to look at would be those embedded in an app you got cos it was "free".

Just like the in-car navigation software I write for Google's Android platform (yes, the same basis that underlies Google Glass ) - it's all a matter of getting what you pay for. If you want it for "free", the company providing the service will make money from you some other way (generally advertising). If you pay for the application/data/service - the likelihood of advertising is diminished immensely. We would never embed advertising in our product but, then again, we'd never give it out for free either. The whole "you get what you pay for" applies even in techno-topias
Old 11-21-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSailor View Post
Well, I can at least speak authoratively to this bit. Google allows one to turn off all notifications of texts, emails, etc and the only advertisements you'll be "forced" to look at would be those embedded in an app you got cos it was "free".

Just like the in-car navigation software I write for Google's Android platform (yes, the same basis that underlies Google Glass ) - it's all a matter of getting what you pay for. If you want it for "free", the company providing the service will make money from you some other way (generally advertising). If you pay for the application/data/service - the likelihood of advertising is diminished immensely. We would never embed advertising in our product but, then again, we'd never give it out for free either. The whole "you get what you pay for" applies even in techno-topias
Sure, Just like cable TV.....
SHNOOL likes this.
Old 11-21-2013

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
That's not what he's saying.

From a new F.A.A. report due out shortly:

"...pilots rely too much on automation in the cockpit and are losing basic flying skills. Relying too heavily on computer-driven flight decks now poses the biggest threats to airliner safety world-wide, the study concluded. The results can range from degraded manual-flying skills to poor decision-making to possible erosion of confidence among some aviators when automation abruptly malfunctions or disconnects during an emergency."

This is not new tech, I worked on HUD systems 40 years ago on attack aircraft in the Navy, and there were problems then with target-fixation and pilot distraction. That's why they had to convert some aircraft to 2-seaters, the 2nd seat for someone to handle all the electronic wizardry while the other guy kept the plane from falling out of the sky. Even today our newest ships are having accidents because people are letting tech take the place of basic seamanship,- and those folk are professionals. What makes you think recreational boaters will be less susceptible to error?

Used judiciously and conscienciously, this latest gizmo may be a useful *tool* in the hands of someone who has basic "old-school" seamanship down to a second nature. To me it seems a little too much like driving-and-texting,- and you know how badly wrong that can go.

P.S.
Your signature lacks something in technophilic flavor,- may I suggest replacing "corked bottle" with "subspace tachyon beam"?
I agree it can become a crutch if a person allows it. It can be a lot of information. The list of things I said could be useful was not a list for everything at once. It would be too much for one person and one eye for that matter to comprehend while also trying to think. But I'm not disagreeing that it could be a distraction either. I'm just disagreeing with the notion that because it's new and some don't think it will work, doesn't mean it's not good technology. It's progression and innovation. I can't see how everyone is saying it's that distracting, it's less distracting than looking at a chart plotter or tac tick display on the bulkhead. And of course, if I were cruising I wouldn't use it because there's no need, maybe putting it on coming into a busy harbor or unknown Island or such. But I race and I see application for it there big time, it could help the skipper or driver keep focused in front where he/she should be looking.

Haha Yea, well you see the bottle is made of generation 3 Corning Gorilla Glass and the cork is space age foam... And you better believe that letter in the bottle is on a flexible e-ink screen. Is that better? Haha!

-sent from sea via corked bottle
Old 11-21-2013

BentSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak3b View Post
Sure, Just like cable TV.....
Apples & oranges. Cable TV must be connected to work. That's what you pay for, the right to have & use the connection. It's also a service - if they go away, so too does what you pay for.

Navigation software, such as what I develop, doesn't require that connection. Download the map/nav data & application to the device and it'll run with or without a connection*. Also, if we fall off the face of the planet, your software still runs, you can still navigate from A to B, etc... you just can't get updates for the map/nav data. All of which would be somewhat mandatory if trying to use Google Glass for HUD displays at sea

--
* In our case, it's kind of mandatory as the price for "navigation as an online service" is set at 'free' by Google & Nokia. In the offline space, however, we are able to leverage our low overheads into a price point that challenges the big guns in the market