Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Google Glass and it's effect on sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSailor View Post
Just like the in-car navigation software I write for Google's Android platform
So, this explains why my nav app works better when I hold my phone upside down
BentSailor likes this.

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
There's a LOT of information displayed on a plotter, put that much information on glasses in front of your eyes and you'll sail right into the side of a tanker. That's why heads up displays offer a minimum of critical information.

At 6 knots how much "real time" information do you need? Wind speed, depth? I can get that by glancing at the large displays on my binnacle.

How often do you glance down at the detail on your plotter while sailing? It's a reference that you check periodically, you certainly don't stare at it.

Plotters have become ubiquitous because they offer a real advantage over paper charts in the cockpit. I don't see google glasses offering that same kind of obvious advantage.
Well that is part of the advantage, you get an equivalent of like an 80 inch screen, transparently projected ahead of you, more data in less confined space of a chart plotter. I could see it giving good info overlaid on top of what is out there. You want to hail that big tanker you might be running into, look at it and the AIS will show you what the tanker is doing, and the name, so you can hail him by name and advise him of your intentions. Now glance down into the companion way and it will show the name of the song playing, and with a blink you can change to the next song on the play list. Look up at your sails and it could projection the optimal shape so you can trim it to get the most speed. Then look over at the boat next to you and it will show you exactly what she looks like under that swim suit, and with the facial recognition you have her phone number, and Facebook page and can see that she is single, looking for a sailor.

Then comes my real issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
For me, the whole point of going sailing is to be disconnected from the rest of the world. I spend all day being bombarded by technology and demands for my attention. On the boat, the only demand is the boat. The last thing I would want is to look at something on the shore and a damn great pop-up advert blocks my vision (you just know that is going to happen). I just don't think there is that much information that *has* to be in front of your eyes all the time on a sailboat. Perhaps if you are an AC racer then yes, I can see how you might find it useful, but for most us, well, we aren't moving along at several hundred miles an hour and things just don't happen that quick.
I work on computers all day during the week, and the last thing I want to do is look through one all day on the weekends when on a sailboat. I imagine my kids would love to. It seems to be a generational thing. I have seen them in action. Saw someone walking around Ikea in a pair. They do look dorky, but not too obtrusive. I think that is where this is really going to take off, they aren't huge and don't look obvious. The guy I spoke to said he loves them, but was not really allowed to show them to me. You could tell he really wanted to though.
Old 11-22-2013

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road

Since no one seems to know exactly what they are visually since the article didn't show them or what it looks like looking through them.. Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1uy...e_gdata_player

Now tell me how this is so "obtrusive" or "distracting"?

-sent from sea via corked bottle
Old 11-22-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
Since no one seems to know exactly what they are visually since the article didn't show them or what it looks like looking through them.. Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1uy...e_gdata_player

Now tell me how this is so "obtrusive" or "distracting"?

-sent from sea via corked bottle
Thanks for the test-drive. Multihanded racing crews could use them, I agree. I think some of the "resistance" you are seeing is from single- or short-handed recreational (read: not officially-sanctioned racing) sailors. Not so much against the technology itself, as having no use for it in their day-to-day sailing.

Coming into a strange harbor at night or in fog, sure,- I'll take all the help I can get. Gunkholing through the 'Glades & Keys - not so much. Though 10,000 people may have been there before, if I am exploring some little tidal creek for the first time, what I see, hear, smell and discover are new *to me* -- I do not want to know about the old Calusa shell mound 1/4 mile upstream from the next bend, I want to discover it for myself.

I trust the user can select how much and how often info is displayed. As long as there's an "OFF" switch, fine;- start going "Max Headroom" on us and there'll be trouble.

Quote:
Haha Yea, well you see the bottle is made of generation 3 Corning Gorilla Glass and the cork is space age foam... And you better believe that letter in the bottle is on a flexible-inkscreen. Is that better?
I like it!
All that is rather a mouthful,- and the short form does sound better.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-22-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

I love technology and frequently use my iPad/iPhone for navigation and other functions while aboard, but I'm not sure I want a lens with digital "stuff" in between me and the big blue yonder. I like the wind in my eyes and an unobstructed/unaltered view of the water around me. That's part of sailing's allure.

I can just imagine watching a regatta and seeing all the skippers wearing their Google Glass...reminding me of the people in the malls who walk around with a bluetooth headset on.
JimMcGee and DJR351 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kwaltersmi; 11-25-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-22-2013

jzk is on a distinguished road

I find the digital hooey pretty awesome. And, it adds amazing redundancy. We have the Garmin installed, a hand held garmin, tablet and everyone's phones. Paper charts in the chart table also. All of the android devices have Navionics. I can be sleeping in my bunk and look at my phone to see where we are, etc. I have a Nexus Multi display as well to see anything else, but Navionics on the phone is pretty sweet. Having it in my sunglasses will be even more sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I will only use these if they make the glasses big enough so I can paste my paper charts to the inside of the lens.

All this digital hooey will just get you killed.
Old 11-22-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

At some point, you really might just as well stay home where it is safe and comfortable and play a video game.
seafrontiersman and jak3b like this.

Last edited by vega1860; 11-22-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: phrasing
Old 11-22-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
At some point, you really might just as well stay home where it is safe and comfortable and play a video game.
Like a sailing simulator game?

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 11-22-2013

ronspiker is on a distinguished road

I could see using them when going into an unfamiliar place. Basically have the active depth readings overlaid on the chart. The only problem is visual overload. You would have teach yourself to see past and possibly ignore the google glass image. The other good thing would be as you are approaching the marina you could enquire where the best Margarita is...
Old 11-22-2013
Taking it day by day

DJR351 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
I can just imagine watching a regatta and seeing all the skippers wearing their Google Glass...reminding me of the people in the malls who walk around with a bluetooth headset on.
My first thought was seeing skippers with the Bluetooth headset on one side and Google Glass on the other, maybe they could offer a combined headset......

Wouldn't that be great, you could be safely navigating around the race course and talking to your stock broker all at the same time, without ever having to take your hands off the helm.......multitasking yeah!
christian.hess likes this.

There is a tide in the affairs of men which taken advantage of at the flood, leads over the reef, on to adventure. Those men who fore go this high water of their life are forever left to ponder, a life bound wallowing in the shallows.......Julius Caesar

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.